Author Topic: An appreciation for Panerai Packaging  (Read 11918 times)

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
An appreciation for Panerai Packaging
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:20:45 PM »
Some may say that I'm a sucker when it comes to packaging, and I do admit that at times, if products are pretty identical, I will always choose the one with superior packaging.
I mean as a consumer, i do not actually request for THE BEST packaging, but "ENOUGH" packaging to show me that what i'm paying for is worth it and that the manufacturer is considering every aspect of making its customers (= ME!) happy.

When I stumbled upon Panerai, I was very impressed with the packaging, and what it comes and definitely not just a watch. Please understand that this is my personal opinion, so please feel free to share what you think also.

First let's take a look at the sizes of the boxes.
As you may know Panerais come either in double box set, or triple box set.

Comparison between smallest box (travel clock), standard box (PAM380) and a Special Edition box (PAM416)

When we open the inside of the carton, you will see the black shoe box.
Opening the shoe box, you will see the beautiful pearwood box, which can be seen here :

Opening it up, you will notice that the S/E box will have space for a scroll.
And that it's plaque will say SPECIAL EDITION and also an additional plaque which relates to its model "Example : Luminor Marina"

When we further investigate, there are a few documents which will come hidden in the box.

What we are essentially looking at are :
(1) Warranty book
(2) Warranty card (only applicable for ETA based movements)
(3) COSC certificate (only applicable for ETA based movements, and models with sub-seconds)
(4) Manual book
(5) Movement sticker

I must stress the importance of the movement sticker as with this sticker alone, can you tie back all the numbers on your watch and warranty. The movement sticker can be found attached to the outer part of the box, or as an additional sticker in your warranty book. As per in this example :

Of course, if you include the COSC and warranty card, it will be even better, here:

Now back to the story of the box.

Even for normal (regular production) watches, there are 2 types of inner trays (cushions).
One for the radiomir (no tools provided) and one for the luminor/submersible (additional tools + strap)

What about the SE box? Where do they hide these items?
Well, open up the tray and you'll see this :

There's even a lock and key for the SE box:

Finally, let me end this by showing you some novelty boxes which have been very suprising:

PAM 382 Bronzo box (comes in red mahogany wood and even bronze plaques)
photos taken from Mr Luke Tani (p.com)

The 60MM PAM341 EGIZIANO GIANT box
photos taken from Mr Max (p.com)

Look at the size of it compared to a normal, SE and EGI box!!!

a beautifully crafted box

the watch on display

well, that's all guys, i hope you enjoyed reading this as much as i had writing it.
till next time  :thumbsup:

as usual, i'll end with a wrist shot of my 2

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
Re: An appreciation for Panerai Packaging
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
Not a fan of panerai (no watch for my small wrist). the smaller model are quite big for me too. But i have to admit i like this write-up, can see that you are panerai crazy person  :thumbsup:

:Cheers:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:09:53 PM »
Derek,

Great writeup. If you allow, my small contribution. The SE blue box for the PAM00092 Arktos. It has a different layout for the accessories.

The books comes in a pouch.

The other interesting box is for the Panerai PAM00193 Depth Guage. However the PAM00193 is not categorise as a watch but an instrument. It comes with a box that is the same size as the SE but minus the SE adornment. Sadly I have no pictures for the PAM00193.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:10:40 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:23:48 PM »
Gosh..there's no escaping these Italian poison isn't it? Base models, LE, SE....and then the straps....and now even packaging!

I wonder if next,  the ristians will show photos of how cool and young they look (or photos of gorgeous chicks hanging around them) after wearing em Pam watches!  ;D

Seriously though, interesting write up. Always nice to read something fresh here.  And thanks for sharing what are the essential papers that must come with the watch :Cheers:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:26:16 PM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »
Derek,

Great writeup. If you allow, my small contribution. The SE blue box for the PAM00092 Arktos. It has a different layout for the accessories.

The other interesting box is for the Panerai PAM00193 Depth Guage. However the PAM00193 is not categories as a watch but an instrument. It comes with a box that is the same size as the SE but minus the SE adornment. Sadly I have no pictures for the PAM00193.

AWESOME catch bro, i learn something everyday, didn't know the arktos comes with a blue box.

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »
Gosh..there's no escaping these Italian poison isn't it? Base models, LE, SE....and then the straps....and now even packaging!

I wonder if next,  the ristians will show photos of how cool and young they look (or photos of gorgeous chicks hanging around them) after wearing em Pam watches!  ;D

Seriously though, interesting write up. Always nice to read something fresh here.  And thanks for sharing what are the essential papers that must come with the watch :Cheers:

you mean something like this ?
taken from a chinese risti forum

Offline gloomis

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
great review. even the packaging oso can have so many things to write about....risti really a risti. like the SE box with the KEY :thumbsup:

Offline gloomis

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:53:48 PM »
Derek,

The other interesting box is for the Panerai PAM00193 Depth Guage. However the PAM00193 is not categories as a watch but an instrument. It comes with a box that is the same size as the SE but minus the SE adornment. Sadly I have no pictures for the PAM00193.

AWESOME catch bro, i learn something everyday, didn't know the arktos comes with a blue box.

me too. 1st time i see a diff box from pam

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »
Not forgetting the non SE box (Radiomir type box) for the SE/ LE (?) PAM00367. A first for Panerai as well?

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »

you mean something like this ?
taken from a chinese risti forum

haha! I KNEW IT!
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 10:51:20 PM »
lucky the Pam is much too large for my liking. i do like the presentation boxes but i think too much extra money is added on to the price of the watch because of the packaging. it's really wonderful to have a nice box, but i usually wear my watches so boxes are just tucked in a corner somewhere, and the smaller, the better.

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
good info, bro.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 08:31:32 AM »
awesome write up! good info too on the link between the movement stickers - COSC - and warranty booklet...

Cheers

Offline Annthony Siah

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »
this review make me feel beside the watch, the box is also nice.

Good review.

Offline jackafrica

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 02:47:03 PM »
Panerai is a fashion leader as well as an upmarket standard for packaging.
Little wonder Richemont had the foresight to purchase the company.

I've always wondered why Panerai supply the screwdriver for the Luminor models, but not for the Radiomir? There must be a reason, surely.

Perhaps there is someone here who can shed a little light on that anomoly ?
Or even put forward a theory.

cheers
richard

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 07:17:10 AM »
Bcoz a not train guy won't b able to open the wire lug without scratching the case
So no point giving screw driver
Lol

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 08:39:44 AM »
Bcoz a not train guy won't b able to open the wire lug without scratching the case
So no point giving screw driver
Lol

I totally agree with chris on this.
without a trained hand or a proper workplace/holder for your watch. chances of screwing it up and scratching your case is very high.
on top of that the 1.4mm is very sharp and small, makes it a pretty vicious tool.

I guess Panerai just doesn't want us to screw it up and lawsuits waiting in line :)