Author Topic: Vintage Parts  (Read 9615 times)

Offline G.MAC

Vintage Parts
« on: May 02, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
Having bought a 9411/0 lately, am looking to get it restored. Haved sourced all over the net for genuine NOS tritium hands and bezel for it but turn up empty. Have looked through other fora as well. So would like to ask where else can i possibly go to look for these? If cannot reply, PM is fine. Thanks in advance for any information given.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: Vintage Parts
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »
Having bought a 9411/0 lately, am looking to get it restored. Haved sourced all over the net for genuine NOS tritium hands and bezel for it but turn up empty. Have looked through other fora as well. So would like to ask where else can i possibly go to look for these? If cannot reply, PM is fine. Thanks in advance for any information given.

For the hands, you can perhaps try and post a WTB on that forum that I PM you. I believe there are a number of the members have the hands. As for the bezel (bezel or bezel insert?) you can buy a Rolex 5513 bezel. It is interchange able. If I am not wrong, you can also use the 1680, 7928, 7016 bezel insert. All the best with the restoration.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »
Yup. Ivan is correct.
The bezel insert is interchangeable with  rolex 1680 (which is abit easier to find)
But i think your snowflake is the blue one right? Those are tough to come by.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:16:14 PM »
yea...mine's the blue one.

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:34:24 PM »
What kind of parts are you looking for?

Regards
Tyler

yea...mine's the blue one.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 06:15:07 AM »
NOS tritium hands and the bezel insert

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:28:39 AM »
What's wrong with the ones you have now?

Any close up to photo share? That would help a lot.

Regards
Tyler
NOS tritium hands and the bezel insert

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 08:07:38 AM »
Photos of the shortcomings with my snowflake.
Tritium pearl gone

Bezel looks like it is corroding

The original owner went and painted the second hand white so that he can see it more clearly

There appears to be some rust on the gasket as can be seen in this photo near the crystal

Despite this, many have told me not to do any restoration work to it and to leave it as it is. What you guys think?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:12:14 PM by G.MAC »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
G.MAC,

Personally I would send the watch in for a service with RSC. Check with them if they still have the parts. I believe they can change the rehaut (rusted piece between the crystal and the dial) and perhaps clean whatever else they find. I had my Tudor 7016 in for a service and it is running +1 sec a day now. Just tell RSC not to change the hands or dial and not polish the watch, just service and change the internals. Also they will change the crown and stem tube to the newer type (with the gasket on the outside). If your is the newer type, it does not matter, but if yours is still the older type (gasket inside the tube) you may not want to change the crown and stem tube. However RSC will not warranty the watch for water resistance.

As for the rest, take your time and search for the hands and the bezel insert. It does appear time to time and they can be had for a song, if you are lucky. I will an eye out for you as well.

Offline engkow

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »
my tudor osyterdate bought from woo hing in 1960, sent to rolex service center for repair in 1993, it cannot wind,
the center technician said no spare part.
so sent to third party watch shop, service cost me only rm 85, wear it for another 15 years break down again sent back
to the same watchshop repair cost rm 160 still good working +3 second per day

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 02:58:39 PM »
OK, here's what I would do.

1. The pearl is gone and the replacement looks bad. I would have swap for luminova pearl. Hunting down a tritium pearl is expansive and getting a color match with your dial is almost impossible.

2. The bezel look ok not perfect but not that bad. I wouldn't do anything and leave it as it's. Not something urgent. You can look for a replacement as and when.

3. The white second hand!!! I don't what the deal is but it's quite nasty. I would have the white paint remove by a reputable watchmaker. Looking for a set of matching color tritium hands is going to cost you easily over 1k. There's cheaper ones but i suspect after seeing them you wouldn't want it.

4. If the watch haven't been service before then all these work can be done one short by a watchmaker. I would wan tho keep the crown and the crown tube thou. When in future I need to sell the watch. Original parts are always prefer regardless of the condition they're in.

I think you wouldn't have problem looking for an Rolex certified watchmaker in where you're but you need to tell them exactly what you want.

Regards
Tyler

Regards
Tyler

Photos of the shortcomings with my snowflake.
Tritium pearl gone

Bezel looks like it is corroding

The original owner went and painted the second white so that he can see it more clearly

There appears to be some rust on the gasket as can be seen in this photo near the crystal

Despite this, many have told me not to do any restoration work to it and to leave it as it is. What you guys think?

Offline ingchoon

• Merchants
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 07:16:08 AM »
Your bezel still look very good.but if you really want to change,bring to rolex center Singapore to change the bezel insert only.they will ask you to do general service but you can tell them you just need the bezel insert.it cost about sgd80 only.and no warranty.I changed mine last year.will post photo later.asked them to change the hands but they can only change hands if you do general service.

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 12:51:15 PM »
Keep it as it is... It looks great!
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline ingchoon

• Merchants
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »
I have the submariner luminous dot spare.removed from a damage bezel.