Author Topic: Omega SM300 homage  (Read 14754 times)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Omega SM300 homage
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
The concept is the same as the Aussie company but not as much as what they are charging. I 'built' the watch myself but with help from my friendly watch guy. I sourced the dial and the hands from one of the watch forum. I wanted the dial with the large triangle at the 12 o'clock position but none was available. So the next best option was the small triangle with no date. Got one with the hands, all from the same time of manufacture. Sourced the case from an on-line stockist and got the last piece at the old price. The price of the case has since gone up (a lot).

Issues faced.

The problem was the movement. The dial I got was for the Caliber 550 which was the 17J version of the caliber 552. The caliber 550 were fitted to Omega watches sold to the US, as back then there were tax issues with watches as the US wanted to protect the local watch industry. So tax was imposed on jewel count. So Omega (and other watch companies) reduced the jewel count to 17 so that the watches were not taxed.

The dial and hands.

The part number. Note the movement reference, caliber 550.

The case.

OK back to the movement problem. The case is for the caliber 565, which is the date version of the caliber 552/550. The case, reference 166.xxxx will not fit the caliber 552/550 properly as the caliber 565 is 0.5 mm thicker (due to the calendar module, I stand corrected on this). The correct case for the caliber 552 is 165.xxxx which is no longer available. You can get around the problem by getting a thicker movement holder tabs.

The movement.

The next problem is the movement and getting the right serial number for the watch, i.e. correct serial number for the years the SM300 was issued. I did not manage to get such movement but got an earlier one. That is why I call it my homage to the SM300. All the parts are original Omega, just not 'correct' for the watch. The case does not match the dial and the movement serial number does not match the years of issue.

The movement in the case.

I got an old Omage Seamaster and cannibalise the movement. At least the movement was from another Seamaster. Got the movement serviced by my Omega trained (ex Omega) watch guy and timed (3 position). The other problem was the winding stem. There was no way I could get a new winding stem as the old winding stem was too short. The solution is fitting a stem extension.

Assembled the parts and sent the watch over to my watch guy for final fit and check. Did a pressure check as well. Everything was ok.

The final product.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Re: Omega SM300 homage
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »
If I had not been determined on a culling exercise to reduce to 8 pcs by mid 2012, I'd beg you to sell me this... ;)
Still have to sell off another 8 or so....

Classic dive watch equivalent of a Flieger...
Painfully reminds me of the 1960 JLC Polaris...another of my pre-owned 'grail watches' to hunt down....
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »
If I had not been determined on a culling exercise to reduce to 8 pcs by mid 2012, I'd beg you to sell me this... ;)
Still have to sell off another 8 or so....

Classic dive watch equivalent of a Flieger...
Painfully reminds me of the 1960 JLC Polaris...another of my pre-owned 'grail watches' to hunt down....

What do you have?

Offline rgbs

• What u do matters...at least to you..
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:20:07 PM »
Wow,what an eye opener. Mind to PM me damage?  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 03:36:02 PM »
Wow,what an eye opener. Mind to PM me damage?  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PM sent.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:33:55 AM »
AWESOME~!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Please capture more photos and share ;)

Btw, you mentioned you extend the winding stem, will the crown screw properly then?

Once again, fantastic job~!!

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:16:29 AM »
AWESOME~!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Please capture more photos and share ;)

Btw, you mentioned you extend the winding stem, will the crown screw properly then?

Once again, fantastic job~!!

Yes, not an issue. However I hope to resolve this soon as I will send the watch to Omega Service to have the watch serviced. Omega technician told me they will change the winding stem to a new correct length winding stem. Once I get this done, I don't think I will sell the watch.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
A watch put together from different model parts Omega will still service?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
A watch put together from different model parts Omega will still service?

Yes as it is still all original Omega. The watch parts are 'correct' for the watch, not 100% but all correct. In fact if your original SM300 gets damaged, these are the very parts Omega will use to service your watch. So it is not a problem for Omega.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »
Good to know.
So fast due for service?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
Good to know.
So fast due for service?

It does not need a service. It is just the stem thing. I cannot get the supplier in the US to sell me one and they cannot confirm if it is long enough for the SM300. So I can purchase the 1 stem and pay lots for the shipping and still end up using the stem extender. I have checked with Omega Service Center here and they have the correct stem, but cannot sell me the stem unless I send the watch in for a service. The total cost is not much. So I am still holding on. I will send it in one day for sure. The other option is buying the bracelet for the watch and getting the stem at the same time.

However the funds are reserved for the Tudor 7016/0. Will see what happens next. The Tudor is with RSC having it's serial number and matching (snowflake dial and hands to the serial number) checked by Rolex in Switzerland. Was told this will take a month. The 7016/0 was the 'first' Tudor Submariner to have the snowflake hands and dial, but not all. Only the later models from the early 70s (for 1 year only) came with the snowflake dial and hands. So they are confirming if the serial number is one of these. Also now have to source the parts for the watch (personal spare parts as Rolex no longer stocks them). Already found the acrylic crystal, now looking for the crown, tubes and bracelet. The technician told me the watch is in great condition but suggest I do not use it as a daily watch but suggest I get the Palagos which is coming in May or June.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 07:17:58 AM »
Wow, what a good looking "d-i-y" watch, bro Hobbit.
Yes, the parts are all "corrrect", ie all ori Omega parts. Only need to adjust certain parts to fit in nicely.

Have a Good day.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 02:50:15 PM »
great passions.... i can understand the joy during the process....
its great memory for fixing those problems u faced....

thnx for sharing.... i learn something about the winding stem....

i once paid some 1 to make new stem for my homage.... cost me a bomb...

i wish one day, in malaysia i can find a good watchmaker with all necessary tools for custom made works....

maybe one day mwf able to evolve to have all these.... + custome leather + extra finishing service....
then future even into education services - by organizing leather strap making / watch servicing / etc kind of courses

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »

i wish one day, in malaysia i can find a good watchmaker with all necessary tools for custom made works....

maybe one day mwf able to evolve to have all these.... + custome leather + extra finishing service....
then future even into education services - by organizing leather strap making / watch servicing / etc kind of courses

That would be great indeed. I, for one am looking forward to that day.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 03:53:48 PM »

Hi Master, hopefully you can bring this piece during the GTG  :thumbsup:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »

Hi Master, hopefully you can bring this piece during the GTG  :thumbsup:

your wish is my command.