Author Topic: Suunto t1c Black Pattern Heart Rate Monitor watch - a review  (Read 8022 times)

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Suunto t1c Black Pattern Heart Rate Monitor watch - a review
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
I got this watch, the Suunto t1c Black Pattern from my wife on  our wedding anniversary in (August) 2009. I love it. Whether I'm hitting  the gym to work off that extra holiday weight, or going for my daily  run, every bit of information helps. With the Comfort Belt to accurately  and conveniently monitor my real-time or average heart rate, I now know  how to get the most out of each session.

With the t1c, I can also monitor how many calories I've burning  in real time, or view my workout summary for the last two months to see  how many I've already worked off.

The only problem that I had with it was with the strap. Got to changed  it after it tore. Not sure how but I guess, it must have gotten caught  against something when exercising. Cost me RM75 just to change it. I also found out that the screws are unique only to Suunto - so you can't find alternatives in the market!

This watch comes with a heartbeat monitor band that you strap around  your torso near your heart. It will be able to generate a universal  signal that can be read by most, if not all, training machines that have  a heartbeat monitor. It is also waterproof (should be, otherwise the sweat will kill it!).

To control the computer in the watch, there is 5 different buttons for various functions. Like a Casio Protrek, you need a thick manual to learn how to navigate and get the best of the watch.

An interesting fact about this watch is the battery change. With just the use of a coin, you can change the battery without the need to open the whole back-case.

Although the back is stainless steel, the whole watch is plastic. With the vigours of any sport activities, very high chance of getting scratches on the watch. However, there is a magic chemical sold that can help you to easily polish of the scratch from the plastic. Cost around RM25 per tube. I've tried it and it worked!

Below the watch on my wrist.

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline kamalys

• Freshie
  • What you do today echoes in eternity
Re: Suunto t1c Black Pattern Heart Rate Monitor watch - a review
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
How does it compare with other heart rate monitor like Polar? Have any idea?
What you do today echoes in eternity

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »
even though suunto and casio pro-trek are very similar in terms of function but the design of suunto just makes it look more appealing (at least to me). Pro-trek is a great watch IMO but suunto is also another looker, the function and clarity, easy to look dial makes suunto sport watch unique  ;)

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »
How does it compare with other heart rate monitor like Polar? Have any idea?

Honestly, I can't say much about the functionality of Polar as I didn't have the chance to try it out. However, the one that makes Suunto a winner for me is the heart rate monitor module itself. Only as large as a 2 inch diameter coin, it sits nicely on your sternum and the elastic belt that surrounds you is very soft, breathable and (more importantly) does not shaft your skin when you start sweating. I've ran 2 marathons with it, no problems at all. When I got mine, Polar's heart rate monitor module is on a larger size and looks uncomfortable (however, not sure whether a new design has come up since then).

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
even though suunto and casio pro-trek are very similar in terms of function but the design of suunto just makes it look more appealing (at least to me). Pro-trek is a great watch IMO but suunto is also another looker, the function and clarity, easy to look dial makes suunto sport watch unique  ;)

Protrek is more of a macho design. Suunto's design is cleaner. Case in point

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 05:35:57 PM »

Protrek is more of a macho design. Suunto's design is cleaner. Case in point

lovely new design that is  :thumbsup:  but the retail is about 2k which is quite high :Confused:

Offline Mandy

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 06:49:30 AM »
I am short listing several brands when I was looking for work out watches. Polar, Suunto, Garmin, Timex, Casio, etc....

I am doing some outdoor running too. I was amazed by the mapping shown after the run together with heart rate info, elevation, distance and pace. I was thrilled.

Polar - need gps pod to hook up on the foot
Suunto - similar to Polar. Doesn't have integrated gps within. Need a foot pod or gps pod. By now, they may be new model that have integrated gps
Garmin - with integrated gps...price is abit rigid.
Timex - not as popular compared to USA..sold in Walmart or equivalent
Casio- didn't search much on gps thingy....I am current user of Casio watch...

Offline Mandy

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
End of the day, I picked up a Garmin 210 for my wifey, her gift for dunnoe what reason. She likes it. I also get to use it. And I think I am getting Garmin 410 for myself...nyek nyek nyek....

This garmin come with soft strap hrm....

As for this Suunto, the look is simple and elegant. I will be all over it if this Suunto has integrated gps that suit my need.