Author Topic: "No self-respecting, modern man would be caught dead wearing Panerai" ??  (Read 9303 times)

Offline dragonash_se7en

I read this on AskMen Watch Snob. What do you guys think ?

From WatchSnob

“I’m a recent graduate of state school X and I am about to start a career in some boring, suited-up field. I want a watch that I think will give me a personality even though it’s apparent to all that I do not have one. Should I buy a Panerai? I once saw a guy driving a BMW with a hot blond sitting shotgun wearing a Panerai or a Breitling (they’re huge and flashy) -- and that’s how you attract attention, right? Please advise, Watch Snob.”

Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? It should because you probably wrote me one of these messages. However, as of right now, I will not be answering anything that sounds remotely close to the above. Get over the hackneyed, mainstream choices and move on to something real. There is nothing, and I do mean nothing, worse than a young man who wears a Panerai watch. These watches were cool five years ago, and even then they were only cool if you were Italian (and I don’t mean Jersey Shore Italian -- I mean actually a resident of Italy). Sure, Sheamus had a Radiomir back in 2004, but after one week of wrist time and the type of attention he received, he ended up trading it in for a vintage Rolex Submariner. If you think wearing a Panerai is cool in the year 2010, you probably also think you invented the boat shoe and the ironic mustache trends.

If you want to know what I think is on the polar opposite end of the authentic and cool spectrum, look at anything from A. Lange & Sohne. This German uber-manufacture is making the best men’s watches in the world right now. Its Datograph is likely the greatest chronograph movement ever made, and it’s just as great to look at as it is to feel start, stop and reset in your hand. If you’re a man of distinction, a man who really has the world by its throat, you need a Lange on your wrist. A Panerai is child’s play -- a cheap toy worn only by clowns. Yes, I said clowns."

"And then there is Panerai. I’ve told you in the past, no self-respecting, modern man would be caught dead wearing Panerai, and I didn’t even mention how lopsided the company’s history is. Panerai will tell you that it’s been around for 70 years, making watches for the Italian Navy in the ‘30s. Yes, they were around in the ‘30s and ‘40s, but only made a few hundred watches and then went bankrupt. Oh, and can you guess who was making Panerai’s movements because it could neither afford nor figure out how to make a decent time teller? Yup: Rolex. After Rolex got tired of supplying, it switched to Angelus, and then, when Angelus pulled out, Panerai went the way of the dodo bird. We didn’t hear a peep from them for almost 45 years -- when Sylvester Stallone was credited for bringing the brand back to the public eye. Now that’s a story really worth telling."

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: "No self-respecting, modern man would be caught dead wearing Panerai" ??
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »
Well, it makes an interesting read. It is all a matter of perspective. His views are one (a bit lop sided) but it is his views. There are lots of history behind what has happen and is happening and I think he needs to get out more.  ::) ;D ;)

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:31:28 AM »
The Watch Snob has an extremely limited recommendation when it comes to watches. He has a deep affection for A.Lange, Glashutte Original, a few AP models. The Panerai is perhaps at the very top of his hate list. His views on Rolex can be unpredictable. I read his articles for the fun of it, that's all. Nobody calls himself a snob and expects to be taken seriously by the masses.

Offline dragonash_se7en

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:12:09 AM »
The Watch Snob has an extremely limited recommendation when it comes to watches. He has a deep affection for A.Lange, Glashutte Original, a few AP models. The Panerai is perhaps at the very top of his hate list. His views on Rolex can be unpredictable. I read his articles for the fun of it, that's all. Nobody calls himself a snob and expects to be taken seriously by the masses.

Enkidu i agree with your opinion that he had really limited recommendation for good watch. But nevertheless his article is quite entertaining. ;D 

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »

+1

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline ivanswk

• Res ipsa loquitur :P
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:31:49 PM »
yes he hate Hublot also, he predicted both including pam will go burst soon  ;D

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »
Good entertainment. Every brand is sure to have basher... Same like cars... Take it with a pinch of salt and follow your own heart... :thumbsup:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline takashi78

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 06:43:20 PM »
I went to his website and read a few articles.
Then never been back.....his writings are not my cup of tea.

Offline GlySinn

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »
I bet he is inspired by jeremy clarkson  ;D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »
I bet he is inspired by jeremy clarkson  ;D

No even close.

Offline bOcy

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »
I got interested into automatic watch because of this snob, for better or worse. I still read his posts regularly.

He did commend panerai when they introduced a model their first in house movement. The point is he will say it when makers are going the right direction (in his opinion).

He also mentioned a few times already he is not fond of Seiko watches "made in Malaysian factories"

Offline johnjoux

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 08:14:18 AM »
He hates panerai so much ...

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 08:26:13 AM »
Never heard of the guy but now i'm def gonna read his blog... not that I hate Panerai(wish I  had one), but seems fun hehe
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline tsh23

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 08:52:21 PM »
To each his own i say. There are so many brands out there. Their survival is dependent on our varied taste :Jumping:

Just get what calls out to you!

Offline dragonash_se7en

Offline aaaazr

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 07:39:29 AM »
i think he just screwed his creditability as a writer..anyhow, that was his view..pam lovers can laugh if they want..

Offline gck

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
if pam pam died for so long after 40s how come it suddenly resuscitated by Stylon?

Offline djkenishii

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 10:39:02 PM »
a read of watch snob review never failed to entertainment me!

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 09:52:18 AM »
if pam pam died for so long after 40s how come it suddenly resuscitated by Stylon?

There are lots of write-ups about the Panerais on the internet. For example: http://www.connectingwatches.com/forums/panerai-watches-and-its-history-a-wonderful-article-(-pages)-25798.html. Mr Watch Snob had obviously not read these before making his wild recommendation.  :Dancing_banana:

The Panerai has a cult following. My view is that the watch would not have gained the present level of popularity had it been re-launched in the 1980's or early 1990's when small watches were fashionable. But it's popularity really spiked in the decades of big + oversized watches after 2000. Perhaps it is even possible that the Panerai started the big-watch fashion of the 2000's(OK, OK, I can hear the Breiling fans clamouring for my head!!!).  It's up to you to decide. Watch collecting is not hard science. No one is ever 100% right, not even the Watch Snob.