Author Topic: The last few I'm keeping...( Consolidation from Jan 2012 to May 2013 )  (Read 17922 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
So free as I'm up awake tonight..
These are my favourites which I've been wearing for the last 1-2 years.
hopefully my interest in them lasts…

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:47:09 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline ckng515

• Merchants
    • WISparadise
Re: The last few I'm keeping...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 10:44:18 PM »
dressy won hands down!
 :Cheers:

ck
For More Updates please visit my online store at:
https://www.facebook.com/wisparadise

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »
Thanks..I guess you like dress watches more than sports watches.
I love them all. it just depends on my dressing and activity of the day.

The GS hand wind is indeed very elegant for office work & dinners but too refined & delicate for more robust activities like travel or other more physical activities..thats what the SBGC003 is for. It has everything u need- a chrono, a GMT and <+2 sec/week accuracy and very refined steel case/bracelet,hands,markers.

dressy won hands down!
 :Cheers:

ck
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:56:11 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline ckng515

• Merchants
    • WISparadise
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:20:14 AM »
I prefer sport watches more myself.
The only dress watch I have is The IWC Port 7 days.
The GS Chrono pushers are not my cup of tea.But the dial is stunning!
The Last GS with Blue hand is a very very handsome watch.Especially the blue hand!
Care to share more on that piece?

cheers,
ck
For More Updates please visit my online store at:
https://www.facebook.com/wisparadise

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »
bro JOS,

what a nice collection you have there!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thanks for sharing!  :Cheers:

i love both jaeger and GS ananta GMT! mind to share more about this few pieces and don't mind to pm me the damage?

thanks in advance and gong xi fatt chai to you!  :Cheers:
watchManU

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
hi ckng, apart from what you read on the net abt the SBGW033, I do not know what else to add.
Of course some details of the watch are not clearly visible from the official pictures. You need to see it closeup to see details such as all the hands which are curved downwards at the ends to prevent parallax error when reading.The is also a ratio of the length of the hour,minute,second hands for all GS which they claim was adopted after careful research and sampling for utmost accuracy in reading. You can google it. The logo on the SBGW003 dial is not glued on or riveted on. It is stamped. Given the cursive font of the GS words, it is extremely accurate upon minute inspection. The material of the dial looks like a dial on my father's 1940's Rolex… interesting but can't figure out what it is made of.
Even most of JLC, IWC and many other Swiss brands' logos are painted/glued/riveted on, not stamped..  coz it is cheaper, easier and less chance of mistakes to do so. The price of this GS is actually slightly higher than a JLC MUT. When I have time I'll try to take some close pics of the dial, hands, logo, underside of the hands and case. Hope this suffices..
GS's finishing is 2nd to none. Their HiBeat movt & Spring Drive (no matter how controversial) is also the industry's leading technology. Too bad about their conservative design. If only they employed some Swiss/French/German designers.
Dunno if this is relevant but Thong Sia said that S'pore was only given 3 pcs and Malaysia 1 of this SBGW033. Not sure if its true but its definitely only less than fingers on  1 hand. A better chance is to buy from Japan ( 1,000 pcs released there but only 300 outside Japan)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:20:04 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »
Thank you watchmanu,

I started collecting JLCs after I grew out of the Rollies craze in late 90s where I had 4 Sports models, Sub, Exp, GMT-II, SeaDweller. Believe me we all go through different phases..even now I'm still evolving.
What attracted me to JLC is the depth of their watchmaking prowess, they have the most number of in-house calibres of all manufactures. They never put in a round movt into a square or rectangular case unlike IWC, GP, AP, VC and some other high end brands. I respect them for developing specific calibres for different complications unlike other 'Manufactures' that build 1 calibre and mount modules on them. Some ppl find their designs apek of coz but like I said everyone goes thru a phase. I never thought highly of Dufour, Lange or PP until last 5 years. So my choices become more and more 'apek' but exquisite finishing is my priority now..
However JLCs finishing loses out to PP, VC, Lange, Dufour, De Bethune(their design is something else)
I love the Reverso obviously becoz of its unique case esp when the Grande GMT has 2 faces front and back having diff useful complications on both sides.

The Seiko Ananta is my ying & yang. This is one big mama and looks very avantgarde. Altho the finishing and accuracy of placement of the dial,hands,etc is excellent you can somehow feel that Seiko purposely made the Ananta design elements less refined compared to the GS for obvious reasons. Even the ratio of the length of the 3 hands is not practised on the Ananta but only the GS. The Ananta is superbly accurate and the leather strap & single folding clasp is very comfortable. The underside of the solid steel case (milled from a solid stainless steel block) is curved so it fits the wrist contours very well. Dare I say its a poor man's Richard Mille case.
Its not obvious from the pic but the inner circle of the dial is textured. Under a loupe its perfectly formed. I had wanted to buy the SPS009 but the lack of minute rail track markers on the second hand counter put me off, so I got the GS SBGC003 instead (same complication but higher finishing n worse much higher price)
As to prices well tell me which specific watch price u wanted… Ananta and ??
Want to rob me izit :Laughing_on_floor:

Btw the JLC Master Control Master Moon is in White Gold so it has a hunter back and is limited to 999 pcs production.
where r u located?

bro JOS,

what a nice collection you have there!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thanks for sharing!  :Cheers:

i love both jaeger and GS ananta GMT! mind to share more about this few pieces and don't mind to pm me the damage?

thanks in advance and gong xi fatt chai to you!  :Cheers:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:07:28 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline asar

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 09:26:41 PM »
Superb collections you've got there bro JOS. love the JLC's and Seiko's especially the iconic reverso and the GS hand wind,just lovely.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 08:00:20 AM »
Thanks bro.
I've only so few pieces. We're always admiring other ppl collection. :Cheers:
Each time I see a Lange, Patek, FPJourne, Kari Voutilanen posted- I ask myself when can I ever have those… :Blue:

Superb collections you've got there bro JOS. love the JLC's and Seiko's especially the iconic reverso and the GS hand wind,just lovely.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:56:53 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline asar

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 10:05:34 AM »
the same question goes into my mind when i see your collection bro JOS. both the JLC's and Seiko's are on the most wanted list. must work harder.  ;D As for Lange and PP I can only dream of owning one right now but I do believe your turn to own one is just around the corner.

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »
bro JOS

thanks for sharing with me about your watch.

pm me the JLC Reverso and SEIKO ananta price. thanks again.  :Cheers:

btw, i'm located in KL. How about you?
watchManU

Offline GlennTanChiaChiah

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 04:29:37 PM »
The JLC and Grand Seiko are the winners here IMO. Wear them in good health.

Happy CNY! Huat ah!

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 07:04:35 PM »
Thanks bro.
Agree with you. The JLC/GS are evergreen classics.
The Ananta on the other hand is avant-garde and suits weekend jeans, cargo shorts n tees…

Keong Hee Huat Chye to you too…

The JLC and Grand Seiko are the winners here IMO. Wear them in good health.

Happy CNY! Huat ah!

Offline gloomis

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 04:48:24 AM »
the last pcs GS is damn classic n nice. saliva oso out....making me to consider getting a pcs  :Praying:

Offline kulcha

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »
Like your JLC, especially the Reverso  :thumbsup:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 12:20:32 PM »
Thanks…you'll need to get it from Japan as the stock outside Japan (300 pieces fully taken up)
Google and you'll find a re-seller in HK offering this model for sale at USD 8,500 for an unused NIB piece..

the last pcs GS is damn classic n nice. saliva oso out....making me to consider getting a pcs  :Praying:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:22:46 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 12:21:25 PM »
Thanks..

Like your JLC, especially the Reverso  :thumbsup:

Offline davidtth

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »
both JLC watch are my most liking watch so far ! hope can afford to own it soon  :Praying:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 08:06:37 AM »
Thanks david. You've seen both of them close up before. If I ever decide to sell off any of these 2 JLCs, I'll let you know.

both JLC watch are my most liking watch so far ! hope can afford to own it soon  :Praying:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 03:50:56 PM »
JOS2012 I do agree with you about the Ananta. I do have one, the retrograde model.
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »
thanks meoramri,
yes i've come across the pic of your ananta retrograde...v. nice
Ananta cases are really quite unique and very finely polished.
Generally Grand Seiko and Anantas look much better in the metal than in pictures due to their superb finishing which is hard to show in photos. Swiss/German watches have very strong and attractive design elements which are very obvious/attractive even when seen from afar but in terms of finishing, MOST BUT NOT ALL Swiss/German watches costing up to 2-3 times the equivalent price of the GS model will lose out to GS in finishing quality. I learnt that the hard & expensive upgrading way.
That's why my choice is to have a mix of high-end Swiss/German/Japanese watches where quality of movement, uniqueness of the complication, finishing of case, bracelet, dial, hands is the paramount selection criteria NOT brand...
In my book, beautiful or unique designs alone cannot make up for the lack of technical excellence of movements and quality of finishing..
Limited editions with the same old movement/complication year in year out in different case materials, dial design/colours/bracelet/strap materials are very superficial and technically lacking attempts in launching new models yearly. It only shows the lack of ideas, innovation, progress and manufacturing depth that watch company portrays.

JOS2012 I do agree with you about the Ananta. I do have one, the retrograde model.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:22:32 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Re: The last few I'm keeping...(updated on consolidation)
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 12:34:35 PM »
Latest consolidated humble collection after selling and buying several pieces over the last 12 months.
This small collection revolves primarily around 3 main manufactures, Grand Seiko/Ananta, JLC and Glashutte Original representing Japan, Switzerland & Germany.
A few minor pieces like Erhard Junghans, Omega, Archimede, etc, round it up. My preference is towards non-mainstream manufacture brands and also Limited Editions, as it'll be less likely to bump into someone wearing the same watch.

The collection is a mix of different dial colors (black/silver/white/cream), case shape (round/rectangular/cushion), case color (steel/black), case material (WG/SS/titanium/ceramic), complications (no-date/date/day-date/chronograph/GMT/power reserve/moon phase/big date/alarm/annual calendar/perpetual calendar/hi-beat 36,000 vph/hand wind/automatic/72 hr PR/8 day PR/simple 3 hand formal), type of watch (flieger/diver/formal/funky)

The 2 ubiquitous Seiko 5 military & Monster shark are kept for dodgy back-packing trips...

My taste and interest keeps changing all the time, hence the merchants are so happy and my pockets so empty..I'm moving towards sportier casual watches esp. black cased watches currently..

2 additional black pieces are on the way to join the collection and 2 existing pieces are on the way out..

1st three vertical from L to R :
Seiko Monster shark, Seiko5 military, Archimede WUS Limited Edition (90 pcs) with vintage Junghans handwind movt
Top horizontal row of 4 from L to R :
Ananta Naoki Sakai Limited (1,000 pcs), Omega Railmaster CERS Limited (351 pcs), GO Panomatic Lunar, GO Navigator Perpetual Calendar
2nd row of 4 from L to R :
GS SBGA031 Spring Drive titanium diver, GS SBGC003 Spring Drive Chronograph/GMT, JLC NS Diving Alarm T5 titanium with ceramic bezel Limited Series, Erhard Junghans Aerious chronograph & PR
3rd row of 4 from L to R :
GS SBGH001 Hi-Beat 36,000 vph, GS SBGW033 130th Anniversary Limited Edition handwind 72 hr PR, JLC WG Master Moon Annual Calendar, JLC Reverso Grande GMT- 8 day movement

The 2 pieces on the way out...

IWC MK XVI

Ananta Spring Drive GMT

the 2 black pieces on the way in ??..... will update in a week's time when they arrive  ;)
Once in, there'll be 15 pcs excl. the 2 Seikos -  to rotate one watch every 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:20:51 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline bezelnut

Re: The last few I'm keeping...(updated on consolidation)
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
Latest consolidated humble collection after selling and buying several pieces over the last 12 months.
This small collection revolves primarily around 3 main manufactures, Grand Seiko/Ananta, JLC and Glashutte Original representing Japan, Switzerland & Germany.
A few minor pieces like Erhard Junghans, Omega, Archimede, etc, round it up. My preference is towards non-mainstream manufacture brands and also Limited Editions, as it'll be less likely to bump into someone wearing the same watch.

The collection is a mix of different dial colors (black/silver/white/cream), case shape (round/rectangular/cushion), case color (steel/black), case material (WG/SS/titanium/ceramic), complications (no-date/date/day-date/chronograph/GMT/power reserve/moon phase/big date/alarm/annual calendar/perpetual calendar/hi-beat 36,000 vph/hand wind/automatic/72 hr PR/7 day PR/simple 3 hand formal), type of watch (flieger/diver/formal/funky)

The 2 ubiquitous Seiko 5 military & Monster shark are kept for dodgy back-packing trips...

My taste and interest keeps changing all the time, hence the merchants are so happy and my pockets so empty..I'm moving towards sportier casual watches esp. black cased watches currently..

2 additional black pieces are on the way to join the collection and 2 existing pieces are on the way out..

1st three vertical from L to R :
Seiko Monster shark, Seiko5 military, Archimede WUS Limited Edition (90 pcs) with vintage Junghans handwind movt
Top horizontal row of 4 from L to R :
Ananta Naoki Sakai Limited (1,000 pcs), Omega Railmaster CERS Limited (351 pcs), GO Panomatic Lunar, GO Navigator Perpetual Calendar
2nd row of 4 from L to R :
GS SBGA031 Spring Drive titanium diver, GS SBGC003 Spring Drive Chronograph/GMT, JLC NS Diving Alarm T5 titanium with ceramic bezel Limited Series, Erhard Junghans Aerious chronograph & PR
3rd row of 4 from L to R :
GS SBGH001 Hi-Beat 36,000 vph, GS SBGW033 130th Anniversary Limited Edition handwind 72 hr PR, JLC WG Master Moon Annual Calendar, JLC Reverso Grande GMT- 7 days movement

The 2 pieces on the way out...

IWC MK XVI

Ananta Spring Drive GMT

the 2 black pieces on the way in ??..... will update in a week's time when they arrive  ;)
Once in, there'll be 15 pcs excl. the 2 Seikos -  to rotate one watch every 2 weeks.

That is a very impressive and respectable collection.

Glad to see so many Seikos in your collection.
Dracula Monster with black leather and red stitch look fresh.

Glashutte Panomatic Lunar, that's great taste. I'm guessing you enjoy this piece a lot.

Offline JPSP

all great pieces but i'll have 2nd thoughts of selling away the IWC if i'm you.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
hi James,
I'm even more impressed with your collection. If I'm ever in Spore next, will hook up with you..
My JLC NS DA says hello to yours..
I've just traded in the Mk XVI for the ceramic Top Gun...so no regrets on my side as I've always wanted a ceramic cased watch although I initially had reservations abt the 7750 ebauche.

all great pieces but i'll have 2nd thoughts of selling away the IWC if i'm you.

Thanks bezelnut.
There are many more impressive collections in MWF but I'm quite happy with mine to-date as I keep consolidating whilst trading away those watches which have lost their lustre to me.
Actually my current top 2 favourites are the GS SBGC003 and GO Navigator Perpetual Calendar.

That is a very impressive and respectable collection.
Glad to see so many Seikos in your collection.
Dracula Monster with black leather and red stitch look fresh.
Glashutte Panomatic Lunar, that's great taste. I'm guessing you enjoy this piece a lot.

As mentioned earlier 2 more black cased pieces to join the collection this week...
1 just came in a few hours ago... recently I seem to be buying older models rather than the latest

IWC Top Gun ceramic 3789-01 chrono- time/date haven't even been adjusted..while waiting for the Dark Side of the Moon this piece should satisfy my craving for a ceramic cased watch..

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:01:35 AM by JOS2012 »