Author Topic: Vintage Zenith  (Read 11298 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Vintage Zenith
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:27:32 AM »
Been digging around for some vintage Zenith info and I found some things that I would like to share.

As you guys know, I have been itching for a New Vintage 1969 pictured below.

I was curious as to where this watch got it's roots from.
So I found these.

Now I see the resemblance.
Although the vintage models measures at 38mm (New Vintage is 40mm), I am abit surprised that the vintage pieces can be had for under 10k (New vintage is around 25k) if you search hard enough.
Powered by the vintage El Primero 3019PHC... it was the 1st iteration of the then just released 1st automatic chronograph movement.
Later renamed to caliber 400 and 400Z after some modifications.
This is when Rolex used this Zenith Caliber for its Daytona watches.
Now, El Primero Movements are reserved exclusively for Zenith Watches and even sister company Tag can't use them anymore (Tag Caliber 36)

And when I was in HK, I tried out the Stratos Flyback and kinda liked it... too bad for the price and the 45mm case size. A picture here.

Now I did more digging and I found out that the Stratos Flyback actually draws inspiration from the Rainbow Flyback launched in the year 1997 and discontinued at 2001.
Here's the brochure that I found on the Rainbow Flyback.

Apparently the Rainbow Flyback is linked to the French Air Force.
According to sources on the net.
1000 pcs were made for the croc band coloured dial model, 3000 pcs for the ss bracelet coloured dial model and 4000 pcs were made for the ss bracelet black dial model.

Funny thing is, for the Coloured Dial models, the dial read Zenith El Primero Automatic... with no mention of Flyback except on the caseback engraving.
While the black dial reads Zenith El Primero Flyback... with no mention of Automatic.  ???

Being discontinued, this model is quite sought after among Zenith fans.
The movement that powers the Rainbow Flyback is the El Primero Caliber 405... and later 405Z.
The Stratos flyback is powered by the El Primero Caliber 405B.

What I can conclude from digging into the history of Zenith is this... their chronograph movement is tried and tested for over 40 years. Any subsequent modifications done to it is for the improvements in accuracy, stability and robustness.
Sort of like Rolex from caliber 3000 to 3130 to 3131 now...

Hope you like reading though... Just thought I'd share.

Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline takashi78

Re: Vintage Zenith
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:36:46 AM »
The Rainbow flyback i always wanted to get one of those.
Multi colored one off course.
Nice small size.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 08:43:46 AM »
The Rainbow flyback i always wanted to get one of those.
Multi colored one off course.
Nice small size.
Yup... coloured ones are hotter.
40mm case size... just right.
Newer watches are getting bigger and bigger... Except the El Primero 38mm, most are 42mm with the dial area at around 35-37mm... thats like the size of the 14060 Dial + Bezel...
I just snagged a Rainbow Flyback Black Dial SS Bracelet.
Acceptable price... now the agony of waiting for it to arrive... :HammerHead:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »
hanz, now you are a zenith expert  :thumbsup:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:34:34 AM »
hanz, now you are a zenith expert  :thumbsup:
No expert lah...
I am just a fan and I tried to search as much as possible on Zenith's History.
A recent interview with Zenith CEO Jean Frederic Dufour on Hodinkee... he mention that Zenith basically owned the term pilot's watches.
2012 is gonna be the year of Zenith Pilot watches.
He mentioned that aircraft during the early 1900s were equipped with zenith instruments... could not find anything on that though.
And he can't help by saying that Zenith's Aviation connection predates those WWI and WWII periods.
Excited to see what will come out of it.

Here's a link to the interview.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/1/9/video-interview-jean-frederic-dufour-ceo-of-zenith-watches.html

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »
yeah love the rainbows. tried on the black on once and as always there are many wants and not enough money...

so the next time i go back to Sabah, I will be sure to do the pilgrimage to the Zenith museum in KK.  ;D :thumbsup:

can't wait for your wrist shots bro...... all of us are waiting in agony along with you... :thumbsup:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »
yeah love the rainbows. tried on the black on once and as always there are many wants and not enough money...

so the next time i go back to Sabah, I will be sure to do the pilgrimage to the Zenith museum in KK.  ;D :thumbsup:

can't wait for your wrist shots bro...... all of us are waiting in agony along with you... :thumbsup:
Zenith Museum? That's an overstatement bro... I only own 2...  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 03:16:38 PM »
I think Hanz want to poison the members here kao kao la, luckily it is not my like, otherwise cham  :Laughing_on_floor:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »
I think Hanz want to poison the members here kao kao la, luckily it is not my like, otherwise cham  :Laughing_on_floor:
Soon my friend... soon...
Resistant is futile....  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »

wah like borg
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 07:21:54 PM »
Hanz..envy but respect how you equip yourself with knowledge in your hunt and slowly acquire you trophy... :Cheers: ...!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:28:45 PM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline h.chang

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:57:47 PM »
Thanks Hanz for the research. 18 years ago , I bought a 18 k YG Zenith limited edition with an El Primero movement  for RM7.8K just because it was watch number 068 of the series and the movement was used in a Rolex! I have no clue then about the quality of Zenith. I have not worn it and had given to my son as his wedding present 10 years ago, and I believe it is in his safe deopsit box in Australia. 

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing with us the information on Zenith, Hanz.
Really envy and respect how you equip yourself with knowledge in your hunt before you acquire them.

The Zenith Force is strong, my young friend.
(The Zenith poison spreading fast)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:53:18 PM by Watchnewby »