Author Topic: My vintage Grand Seiko  (Read 19714 times)

Offline wongchanseng

My vintage Grand Seiko
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:42:13 PM »
This is my vintage GS Chronometer 5722A. The 5722A is SAME structure and design to GS Chronometer 43999 except it change the model marking from 43999 to 5722A.
The lion medallion is bit peel off. The plastic crystal having multiple scratches, the dial is relatively clean.
Working in good condition, time keeping within 15 seconds a day (flat position).

--------------------------------------------------
go go it
commonmanvintagewatch.blogspot
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:51:40 PM by wongchanseng »

Offline Watchnewby

Re: My vintage Grand Seiko Chronometer Model 5722A
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Great GS you have there, Wong.
To me the GS is the grand ol'dad of Seiko watch.  ;D

Offline bergkamp10

• Bergkamp10
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:14:10 AM »
Great GS you have there, Wong.
To me the GS is the grand ol'dad of Seiko watch.  ;D

"GS is the grand ol'dad of Seiko watch"
I like it!
Well say Watchnewby!

It's just like the LION logo at the caseback
The King of the Jungle!!

By the way, does the LION logo represent Grand Seiko logo or something else??  ???

Bergkamp10,

A watch maker in disguise,

A football brain equivalent to the making of a timepiece

http://howtobuildawatchcollection.wordpress.com

Offline wongchanseng

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 02:02:01 PM »
The lion medallion is seiko's early logo for "Chronometer grade watch". You can see other model of watch from seiko with bearing the marking "chronometer" contain this lion medallion.
like extremely rare king seiko chronometer with ONLY marking Chronometer at dial face (it is differ from "chronometer officially certified" marking), other model like seiko liner chronometer also had this lion medallion.

below picture show King Seiko Chronometer, with lion medallion.
It only mark "Chronometer" in the dial face, extremely rare, hard to find.

Below two image are King Seiko Chronometer Officially Certified, without any lion medallion, Not rare.

All three picture above is adopted from internet for discussion purpose i didn't own any one of above

----------------------------------------------------
go go it
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:52:09 PM by wongchanseng »

Offline bergkamp10

• Bergkamp10
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 06:43:52 AM »
Thanks for the info, wongchangseng!!
I'm learning new things everyday. :)

Came across a Grand Seiko AD recently.
The price is almost like the cost of a Rolex (or maybe a pre-owned Rolex)
Yes, I know the movement and even quality might be better than Rolex or other Swiss brand.
But will it sells?
I seen a lot people getting a second hand Grand Seiko which is much more affordable.
I would have done the same thing.  :Dancing_banana:

But how many will actually buy a brand new Grand Seiko?
Why the AD brought in these Grand Seiko really surprised me.
Is there really a market for Grand Seiko?
Which country has the biggest customer base of Grand Seiko? Japan? US?
Would you buy 1 if you have a choice between a brand new Grand Seiko and a Swiss brand? (eg. Rolex, Omega) :shocked1:

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:45:48 AM by bergkamp10 »

Bergkamp10,

A watch maker in disguise,

A football brain equivalent to the making of a timepiece

http://howtobuildawatchcollection.wordpress.com

Offline wongchanseng

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »
"Prior to 1960 most people believed Swiss watches were the highestquality and  Japanese watches were inferior. Seiko believed they were capable of producing watches of the same quality as the Swiss. In fact, they had already made two high-quality examples, Crown and Chronos . The Grand Seiko is the result of their beliefs. ...The birth of GS was followed by the success of the Tokyo Olympics and Seiko's victory at the astronomical observatory Concours. "

"In the middle of 1960's, European Chronometer Official Association appealed that Seiko shouldn't use the name Chronometer. Because of that, Seiko was unable to use the name of Chronometer. With this appeal, Seiko, Daini Seikosha and Suwa established stricter group internal standard for quality which was called GS standard. Seiko watches which had this Chronometer declaration began to be use the name of Grand Seiko according to company internal GS standard. (62GS,44GS) At the same time, the Japan chronometer approval organization was organized, and officially approval started in 1969. (however, because of rise of quartz it was closed in 1983) Chronometer of 45,56,52 King Seiko did PASS this official approval.  "

From 1964, Daini Seikosha Co.,Ltd and Suwa Seikosha Co has participated in a department of Neuchatel at astronomical observatory Concours .
In the first participation, Daini got 153th place grade and Suwa got 144th grade. Order is suddenly raised afterwards. Only three years later, Daini got 4,5,7,8th and Suwa acquired 12th in 1967. With regard to the series prize, Omega won the best, Daini got the second and Suwa got the third prize. But the Concours was stopped suddenly by the year. The contents of Concours was an examination of astronomical observatory Chronometer standard precision for 45 days. Watches passed that examination became certificate "astronomical observatory authorization Chronometers". Each watch manufacturer submitted special movement produced only for the Concours .
Most of them were not good for commercial market as they were too high precision, not durable.
But this 45GS was marketed after it passed this astronomical observatory Chronometer (only 73 units of 100 were PASSed))
There were only two companies who could sell watches passed astronomical observatory authorization Chronometer in those days. ---Seiko and Giraud Peregaux.

above is some information i quoted from Mr.Seiya Kobayashi, www.SeiyaJapan.com
from above, i can see that, GS is a challenge to the Swiss made high end mechanical watch in term of accuracy.
The accuracy of mechanical watch then surpass by cheap Quartz watch after 1970
This made once Swiss watch maker lamented "End of Mechanical Watch"  and GS disappear after 1976.
Recent year, mechanical watch got a lot of attention not because of its accuracy but rather its craftsmanship.
Seiko decide revive the GS line in 1998, and the legend continued till now.

GS mainly focus to Japan Domestic market. However, they starting launch it to US, Europe and Some Asia (include Malaysia) lately.
New model GS (non-vintage) is expensive even it is second hand (brand new cost you about 16K and above). Even second hand GS also cause you something about 8-12K

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:52:37 PM by wongchanseng »

Offline wongchanseng

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 10:22:49 PM »
My another vintage Grand Seiko model 5722B, it is differ from 5722A in the casing, back case medallion (perhaps the beat also differ ? 5722A is 18000 beats, and 5722B is 19800 beats).

____________________________________________________________________________________
go go it
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:52:53 PM by wongchanseng »

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »

Would you buy 1 if you have a choice between a brand new Grand Seiko and a Swiss brand? (eg. Rolex, Omega) :shocked1:

Yes, I would. Between the 3 - GS, Roleks and Mega, I will choose GS 1st, Roleks 2nd.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
Re: My vintage Grand Seiko
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 10:57:17 AM »
Hmm, interesting, how about one of our member who accidentally found from hiding place the GS with Lion logo transparent case back, will that be rare too???
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 01:19:43 PM »
Yes, I believe the caseback with the lion logo is rare as compared with the GS logo.
To my understanding, Seiko watches (GS or King Seiko) with the lion logo denotes that it is "Chronometer grade watch".

Offline wongchanseng

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
"In the middle of 1960's, European Chronometer Official Association appealed that Seiko shouldn't use the name Chronometer. Because of that, Seiko was unable to use the name of Chronometer. With this appeal, Seiko, Daini Seikosha and Suwa established stricter group internal standard for quality which was called GS standard."
So, the lion caseback appear in Seiko chronometer grade watch before middle 1960s, after 1970 Seiko develop its own internal standard and use GS logo caseback. So the lion logo case back only appear in early day seiko chronometer grade watch.
Until after 2000's, when seiko revive their Legend Grand Seiko after been sleeping since 1975. They initially put the GS logo caseback, later they change back to lion logo caseback.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:53:20 PM by wongchanseng »

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 11:52:10 AM »
Thank you for the insightful information on the GS standard, wongchanseng.

Have a Great weekend and Happy New Year 2012, everyone!!

Offline wongchanseng

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
Though it is not suit for this post, but i just want to share this Grand Seiko Quartz 9F62A caliber.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:53:40 PM by wongchanseng »

Offline wongchanseng

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 11:10:04 PM »
Gold lion medallion for early day Seiko Chronometer grade wrist watch.
A surplus from my collection.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:53:57 PM by wongchanseng »

Offline banqk2

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »
Thanks for sharing this post . The seiko engine look ultimate and cool to me

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »
hi, just came across this topic and in case u r interested to know...

I'm one of those who used to own amongst my mini collection;
4 Rolex SS sports models; GMT II, Explorer II, Sub, SeaDweller
3 Omegas; Planet Ocean Co-Axial Chronograph Chronometer, SMP Co-Axial, Speedmaster Moonphase

which have all been sold and replaced by 4 Grand Seikos and 2 Anantas, all bought new.

I still keep 3 JLC's and 2 Glashutte Originals besides several other Swiss, German, Japanese watches though..

The 4 GS that I own and hold precious are chosen based on different movements and types i.e. SBGC003 Cal 9R86 Chrono/GMT/72 PR for work/travel, SBGA031 Cal 9R65 Spring Drive Diver, SBGW033 Cal 9S64 handwind 72 hr PR, SBGH001 Cal 9S85 Hi-Beat 36,000 vph- one of only 2 modern 36,000 hibeat movements in the world-the other being the Zenith El Primero 36,000 which was introduced in 1969..

Yes, I know the movement and even quality might be better than Rolex or other Swiss brand.
But will it sells?
I seen a lot people getting a second hand Grand Seiko which is much more affordable.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:01:23 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline boonzy111

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 12:17:56 PM »

3 Omegas; Planet Ocean Co-Axial Chronograph Chronometer, SMP Co-Axial, Speedmaster Moonphase

which have all been sold and replaced by 4 Grand Seikos and 2 Anantas, all bought new.

I still keep 3 JLC's and 2 Glashutte Originals besides several other Swiss, German, Japanese watches though..

The 4 GS that I own and hold precious are chosen based on different movements and types i.e. SBGC003 Cal 9R86 Chrono/GMT/72 PR for work/travel, SBGA031 Cal 9R65 Spring Drive Diver, SBGW033 Cal 9S64 handwind 72 hr PR, SBGH001 Cal 9S85 Hi-Beat 36,000 vph- one of only 2 modern 36,000 hibeat movements in the world-the other being the Zenith El Primero 36,000 which was introduced in 1969..

But will it sells?

Nice collection of GS!

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 03:05:39 PM »
I love the Lion at the back of the Grand Seiko. Does the Lion come in all GS rear cases?  :thumbsup:
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 04:53:51 PM »
impressive collection

Offline wslee

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »

But will it sells?

Nice collection of GS!

How is it like wearing GS?

I have not seen a real piece but saw it in youtube esp the spring drive and hi beat 36000,im impressed.

Well to buy new GS,can be a pain killer with price tag near RM20k(Top Model).

Is it tough to look for pre owned GS

Offline sjh314

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 07:59:26 AM »
a really nice gs  :)