Author Topic: Watch Collection No.8 -> Alba ‘Blue Manta” AL4005X : bergkamp10  (Read 4495 times)

Offline bergkamp10

• Bergkamp10
This is a review on my Watch Collection No.8:

Alba ‘Blue Manta’ AL4005X

Watch Specification

Brand: Alba
Model No.: AL4005X
Origin: Japan
Date of Purchase: Feb 2011
Package: Watch, Box
Movement Type: Automatic
Display type: Analog
Water Resistant: 200m
Diameter: 48mm with crown (43mm without crown)
Case thickness: 14mm
Strap Width: 22mm

Pre-Purchase Evaluation

1. Beautiful ‘Manta Ray’ Dial
2. Made by Alba Japan, a co-brand of the reputable Seiko Group
3. ISO 6425 Diver watch
4. Affordable Price
5. Powered by Seiko reliable 7s26 21 jewel automatic movement

Picture Gallery

Post-Purchase Evaluation

‘Alba’ a name that most people tend to associate to the famous 70's Swedish pop group, 'ABBA' including me. I can vividly remember ‘Dancing Queen’ a smashing hit song for the group as it is my girlfriend’s mother favourite song. A 'ABBA' song that is as mesmerizing as a watch we are going to talk about today, Alba ‘Blue Manta’ AL4005X watch from Japan which both name sounds almost alike.

Have always wondered why they chose this name??

The name Alba is read ‘Aruba’ in Japanese, which originally meant ”White”.

My guess is, Alba chose this name as it describe the direction they are heading which is to produce timepiece that is as ‘Pure’ as the color ‘White’, with ‘Pure’ representing a pure/clear indication of time in terms of accuracy. As known, Alba is a sub-brand of Seiko and is established on 1979. Compare to Seiko watches, Alba are least expensive and are targeted at a lower market segment in the hope of creating a long-term loyalty to the Seiko group.

They are always iconic watch that represent any watch brand. We have ‘Orange Monster’ for the Seiko, ‘Mako’ for the Orient, ‘Monaco’ for the Tag Heuer, ‘Moon watch’ for the Omega, ‘Submariner’ for the Rolex. Alba?? This brings us to the Alba ‘Blue Manta’ that truly represent an iconic watch for them, a one of its kind!

Summary

Measuring at 48mm with crown, Alba ‘Blue Manta’ is a watch that sits big and weight heavy, much heavier than my Seiko ‘Orange Monster’ although both are using the standard 7s26 caliber. It is a 200m ISO 6425 Diver watch with a smooth rotating bezel, lumed second hands, screw-down crown, which is what one would expect from a diver watch.

But what was so impressive about this diver watch is, you need not be a true diver to experience the beauty of the living creatures in the deep ocean, the dial of this watch tells it all. Absolutely gorgeous looking Manta Ray dial! A dial that shows a flock of manta ray swimming towards the 11th hour marker direction, forming a 3D-like effect.

Manta ray is the largest members of the ray family and they are closely related to shark under the family class of ’Elasmobranchii’ which include sharks, ray and skates.

Since sharks and ray are closely related, looking closely at the design of the dial, it now makes sense that why the hour markers of this specific watch was designed in the way that it actually resemble a shark’s teeth. With the amazing looking manta ray as the background on the dial, it was a perfect combination!

Alba ‘Blue Manta’ truly deserve to represent the iconic watch for the underrated brand- Alba. A masterpiece that showcased the beauty of the ocean world.

For more pictures: http://bergkamp10watchsite.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/review-alba-blue-manta-al4005x/

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:43:34 AM by bergkamp10 »

Bergkamp10,

A watch maker in disguise,

A football brain equivalent to the making of a timepiece

http://howtobuildawatchcollection.wordpress.com

Offline ckmcsk

Re: Watch Collection No.8 -> Alba ‘Blue Manta” AL4005X : bergkamp10
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:17:32 PM »
ALBA... my first watch when i earn my first salary 15 years ago.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »
Cool review on the Alba piece, bergkamp.
Mind PM me the price of the Blue Manta and the location you got it?
Thanks in advance for the info.
 :Cheers:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 06:25:34 AM »
Very nice! btw, you mentioned the thickness to be 8mm. From the picture, it looks bigger than that?
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline bergkamp10

• Bergkamp10
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:42:12 AM »
Very nice! btw, you mentioned the thickness to be 8mm. From the picture, it looks bigger than that?

My mistake, the thickness should be 14mm.
Meoramri, well spotted!!
Very observant indeed.
I guess nothing can escape from ur eyes
Especially beauty.
No wonder you have such a beautiful watch collection.  ;)

Bergkamp10,

A watch maker in disguise,

A football brain equivalent to the making of a timepiece

http://howtobuildawatchcollection.wordpress.com

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 06:15:40 AM »
Thanks for the compliment bergkamp10! It is always good to share.....
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com