Author Topic: Seiko 5 Sports Automatic SNZG15K1  (Read 40476 times)

Offline fooyc

• Freshie
Seiko 5 Sports Automatic SNZG15K1
« on: November 09, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »
Good day Folks.

Since the last (or should I say first) purchase of my first automatic Frederique Constant watch, I haven't had much time to dwell further into this hobby, no thanks to my work. Last week, I glanced upon a web site, talking about Seiko 5. Seriously, me being a newbie, had zero idea what the world is that. Spent a bit of time, about the 5 qualities of a Seiko 5. I end up looking for the above model. Took me quite a while (even to HK and Spore) to hunt for one, eventually got the overseas model over the weekend (since the price is relatively cheap to my book, I did not think twice).

Here's some of the pics I took with my iPhone (sorry, I did not have time to whip out a proper SLR for this) :

Quick walk through. Compare with my G-shock and my FC (38mm size), this thing felt large and hefty at first. The CNC machined quality is impeccable, I generally only see this kind of CNC quality in a high quality factory (yes you can find them in industrial area of USJ and Shah Alam), on a watch, call me "katak di bawah tempurung", this is new to me. Of course it's also relative to the price. Frankly, I am pretty sure I paid rather costly for this, nearly 500 smack, but patience is something that I don't really possess  ;D, unfortunately.

The nylon strap felt thin, as I am used to the usual leather, it sure does felt it would be able to support the weight of the watch, so far so good, 4th day now, it seems to be holding well (I know someone going to suggest Nato/Zulu strap, yes yes, I know of that option  :P).

Another uncommon feature to me, no manual winding  :o The manual told me to swing in an arc for 30secs. *pardon my language* WTF !  :o Oh well, I guess 7S36 history should speak well of its reliability, off I swing (whatever action you term that would be).

Oh lastly, my other half, happens to love watches. She fell in love with mine (me of course  :P) she tried and like it. Quickly took the receipt out, book the other black unit, next day we picked it up.  ;D

I'm not quite a watch reviewer, hope this simple write up is sufficient. Feel free to ask (I bet most would know better than me) should you need more in depth info.

Cheap plastic box :

Both unit :

The pair on wrist :

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:50:04 PM by fooyc »

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Seiko 5 Sports Automatic SNZG15K1
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 06:16:21 PM »
Nice review fooyc :thumbsup:
But care to elaborate what's "overseas model"? I thought can get this model locally?

Offline fooyc

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »
ck77-san,
There is another model of the same, SNZG15J1, where it is fully made in Japan.

Can't find it here. I know there are some singapore and HK dealer carries them.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »
great review  :thumbsup:

always loved the look of this model
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
I used to have it but then it is too big for my wrist and I sold it to a fellow member here.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:20:08 PM »
ck77-san,
There is another model of the same, SNZG15J1, where it is fully made in Japan.

Can't find it here. I know there are some singapore and HK dealer carries them.

And Taiwan. :)

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
are there any difference between the JDM and non JDM models? other than being touched by better paid japanese workers?

interms of movement calibres...quality....metal ...etc?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »
are there any difference between the JDM and non JDM models? other than being touched by better paid japanese workers?

Yes, it says 'MADE IN JAPAN' on the dial, not that it matters to me.  ;D  :)  ;)  :D

Beside that, I don't think there are any differences.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »

Yes, it says 'MADE IN JAPAN' on the dial, not that it matters to me.  ;D  :)  ;)  :D

Beside that, I don't think there are any differences.

;D

Offline fooyc

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 01:09:52 AM »
Yeap. Agreed. No other visual differences, I doubt much internally.

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 02:23:05 AM »
Yeap. Agreed. No other visual differences, I doubt much internally.
same goes to my SKX007 as there are 2 versions as well, the K and the J spec.

other than some aesthetic differences (additional wordings of 21 JEWELS and MADE IN JAPAN) and the DAY display (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VS arabic language), all other aspects are highly similar or I'd say, there's no difference in terms of build quality.

both feel the same in terms of weight and finishing.

by the way, cool watches you have there! i always like its design and i personally prefer the military green version, the SNZG09.

:Cheers:

Visit my Sales Thread here for nylon watch straps and RIOS 1931 leather straps: http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/board,35.0.html

Offline fooyc

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 04:52:06 AM »
The day display difference has been eliminated on the newer breed of 5, now comes with eith I or Monday. :-)

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 06:43:11 AM »
What a nice review on the military Seiko piece, fooyc.
Not one but two for your other half.  ;D
By the way, I always like its design and IMO I would go for the green version too (just like wrist solution).

Have a great day!

Offline fooyc

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 06:57:38 AM »
Thanks Watchnewby-san,
I did initially thought of the military green but I find it rather tough to match with my office wear, as I tend to wear all my watches to all sorts of occasion bar those dinner function, where I would have to wear my dress watch, FC.

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 07:42:29 AM »
What a nice review on the military Seiko piece, fooyc.
Not one but two for your other half.  ;D
By the way, I always like its design and IMO I would go for the green version too (just like wrist solution).

Have a great day!

:Cheers:

Visit my Sales Thread here for nylon watch straps and RIOS 1931 leather straps: http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/board,35.0.html

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 07:46:54 AM »
if not mistaken, the green or black version comes with the same black dial, somebody can attest this?

if they come with the same black dial, then strap is not an issue anymore as you can swap with the military green NATO or ZULU, or any other colors you want as it's easily swap-able...  ;D

Offline fooyc

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 08:00:18 AM »
Unfortunately not. Personally sees it, having a dark green dial. Sorry I did not snap a pix, hope the attached Internet URL would suffice for your reference.

http://www.seiko5ers.com/Seiko%205%20Sports%20SNZG09K%20SNZG09K1%20SNZG09%20Nylon%20strap.htm

Still, yes, the green dial has its charm.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 08:07:29 AM »
My green dial and strap says hello!

Its my go-to watch whenever i go on holidays.

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:21 AM »
Unfortunately not. Personally sees it, having a dark green dial. Sorry I did not snap a pix, hope the attached Internet URL would suffice for your reference.

http://www.seiko5ers.com/Seiko%205%20Sports%20SNZG09K%20SNZG09K1%20SNZG09%20Nylon%20strap.htm

Still, yes, the green dial has its charm.

ooooooo... thanks for the clarification!  :Cheers:

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 08:19:29 AM »
My green dial and strap says hello!

Its my go-to watch whenever i go on holidays.

awesome wrist shot you have there takashi78!  :thumbsup:

Offline fooyc

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 09:10:08 AM »
Cool shot !

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 09:35:52 AM »
For the K spec, the day displays as either I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII,
or MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI, SAT, SUN.

And for the J spec, the day displays as either ??????? (monday), ???????? (tuesday), ???????? (wednesday), ?????? (thursday), ?????? (friday), ????? (saturday), ????? (sunday),
or MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI, SAT, SUN.

i know this bcoz i came across both SKX007K and SKX007J and have personally seen the difference.

Cheers! ;)

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 09:37:36 AM »
oops! sorry guys, the emoticons are actually arabic characters but i dunno why they couldn't be displayed properly...

Offline fooyc

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 10:21:41 AM »
Regardless, both version is suitably attractive and functional, IMHO.  :thumbsup:

Offline wristsolution

• Merchants
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »
Regardless, both version is suitably attractive and functional, IMHO.  :thumbsup:

that's indeed very true!  :thumbsup: