Author Topic: Watch Collection No.7 -> Boctok Komandirski/Amphibia 1970s Vintage : bergkamp10  (Read 11197 times)

Offline bergkamp10

• Bergkamp10
This is a review on my Watch Collection No.7:

Boctok Komandirskie/Amphibia 1970s

Watch Specifications

Brand: Boctok
Model No.: -
Origin: Russian
Date of Purchase: Jan 2011
Package: Watch
Movement Type: Manual Winding (17 Jewels)
Display type: Analog
Water Resistant: -
Diameter: 42mm with crown (40mm without crown)
Case thickness: 8mm
Strap Width: 20mm

Pre-Purchase Evaluation

1. Vintage 1970s military watch
2. Russian Watch
3. Manual Winding (17 Jewels)
4. Affordable Price
5. Made by Boctok Russian, a reliable & reputable watch-maker

Picture Gallery

Post-Purchase Evaluation

My first exposure to Russian watch was through a watch forum (Watchuseek) where everyone was singing praises on the affordable and good quality Russian Watch- Boctok. But what makes me sit up and take notice, is the history behind these Boctok watches. A company founded in 1942, started off producing military equipment during the World War II and when war was over, they focus on producing wristwatch for goverment and military personell. On 1965, Boctok was appointed as the offical supplier of wristwatches to the Soviet Union’s Defense Department. This bring the birth of their well known “Komandirski” (Commander’s) watch. Watches issued to the military were marked “”3AKA3 MO CCCP”” (By Order of the Ministry of Defense of the USSR).

How cool it will be to actually owned these russian watch that was used by the military! From my knowing, Boctok also sells watches to the public that comes without the marking of  ””3AKA3 MO CCCP””. I wanted to get my hand on their military issued watch rather than those issued to the public as it will be more meaningful to own a watch that has gone through military training or even combat war, which a person like me born in the 1980s, will never experience.

Since it is a vintage watch, my only source of purchase will be through the internet. After days of searching, I managed to obtain this watch from a vintage watch collector and Yes! , ””3AKA3 MO CCCP”” is indeed marked on the dial.

Summary

A vintage 1970s Russian made Boctok watch measuring 42mm with crown. It is a manual winding watch running on 17 jewels. Due to the old age, the lume has long been gone. However the mechanism inside is working perfectly, still keeping good time. Winding is surprisingly quite smooth. The watch has a black colour dial and comes with Arabic Marking with a date window. Underneath the dial, ””3AKA3 MO CCCP”” is clearly shown, which indicate a authentic military issued watch. I have no idea how to remove the never seen before case-back as it seems that some special tools is needed to unlock it. Build wise is quite bad as I believed the watch case is make from chromed steel instead of stainless steel. Any slight scratch will remove the chrome and makes the steel underneath expose to rust easily. Given the bad casing quality, I seriously doubt this military watch can handle the amount of abuse from a military soldiers. Surprisingly, the piece I purchased was in very good condition, given the age. The dial clearly shows a 1970s conditon watch, however the chrome on the casing was still perfectly intact with minimal scratches. How is that possible for a military watch to be such a good condition after all these years? My initial thought was, during recession, Boctok might have secretly sold these military watch to the public which can fetch a higher price since these watches are only issued to the military and are not obtainable by any civilian. However, having such a false claim against the reputable Russia watch maker- Boctok is too laughable to be true.

My only and best answer to my own doubt is, it is true that the watch with dial marked “”3AKA3 MO CCCP”” is purely issued to the military, however since it is not compulsory to wear it, soldiers end up selling off to the public to make money. This is why the casing of these watches are still in good condition after all these years since it is used by a civilian instead of a soldier. I hope I am right, but do enlighten me if any of you reader do know the answer!

It might seems that I have such a negative perception on this vintage Boctok watch but the truth is, I like it so much that I went searching for my next Boctok watch which is their “Amphibia” series, designed for diving purpose.

A vintage 1970s Russian Boctok Diving watch measuring 42mm with crown, gold dial with Roman marking that has no date window. It is a manual winding watch running on 17 jewels. It is known as “Amphibia” series, designed for diving purpose. Just like any other diving watch, it has a lumed second hand and lumed bezel with a crown guard to protect the crown. However, it uses the same bad quality casing like the”Komandirskie” (watch case is make from chromed steel instead of stainless steel). It does have all the attributes of what a real diving watch should have, but given the bad quality material used on the casing, I doubt the watch can last long in sea water condition.

Although my impression on this 2 watch might not be as good as expected, given the historical valve of these Russian vintage watches and their affordable prices, it is definitely worth collecting.

For more pictures: http://bergkamp10watchsite.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/review-boctok-amphibiankomandirskie-1970s-vintage/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:49:40 PM by bergkamp10 »

Bergkamp10,

A watch maker in disguise,

A football brain equivalent to the making of a timepiece

http://howtobuildawatchcollection.wordpress.com

Offline Watchnewby

Actually the Brand "Boctok" is also known as Vostok and  has its history during WWII.
In 1942 when one of the Moscow watch-making plants was evacuated from Moscow to a little town called Vostok, located on The Kama River. Defense equipment was the only products  during war years, but as soon as the war was over the factory started making mechanical wrist watches and it is the main production item ever since.

The company was appointed as an official supplier of watches for the Defense Department of the Soviet Union in 1965 and marks the creation of the world-famous "Komandirskie" ("Commander") watch.

I am an avid fan of Russian watches too.

Cheers.

"

Offline bergkamp10

• Bergkamp10
Watchnewby,

Thanks for the insightful information.

Will love to view your Russian watches, any wristshot?

Bergkamp10,

Offline kltime

Count me in as another russian watch fan. Its unique and has its own history and adds diversity 2 the normal Swiss/Jap/German collection. At the affordable range, my preference is for Amphibian range tho.
Started a thread a while back on " Show me your russian watches"...

Offline bergkamp10

• Bergkamp10

kltime,

Is it this lovely piece??
May I know how's the build quality since it's a diver watch??

Bergkamp10,

Offline Watchnewby

Watchnewby,

Thanks for the insightful information.

Will love to view your Russian watches, any wristshot?

Bergkamp10,

As requested.

Cheers.

Offline kltime

kltime,

Yup, plus I hv a couple of Aviators. Build quality - the only water its submerged in is in my bath tub and during the shower  ;D No problems there !!! Some ppl hv actually used it for diving with no issues- check out reports on WUS forum.

Offline bergkamp10

• Bergkamp10

Watchnewby,

At first look, I thought it was a GMT watch.  ::)
Handsome looking Alarm watch you have there!  :thumbsup:

Build quality - the only water its submerged in is in my bath tub and during the shower 

kltime,

Woah, you really do shower your watch with love!!  :-*
But from my understanding, it's better to avoid showering with your watch as soap will reduce the surface tension of the water and allow water to slip pass the seals and damage your watch.  :)

Bergkamp10,

Offline khanwooi

• Anything, Just About Watch Knowledge
    • Vostok Russia Watches
Re: Affordable No.7 -> Boctok Komandirski/Amphibia 1970s Vintage : bergkamp10
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »

kltime,

Count me in, i'am indeed super fans of Vostok.
i currently introdusing this vostok to malaysia. just a interest.
your Blue Scuba Dude it nice.!
actually i currently waiting my Black Amphibia Scuba Dude, probably coming soon, cant wait for it.

your vostok Amphibia spec is in my study list.

• Sensitive watches with central second hand.
• Precision automatic movement with 31 jewels.
• Date calendar.
• Waterproof 200 meters.
• Stainless steel case.
• Shock resistant balance.
• Average daily rate at temperature 20±5?° -10...+30 seconds.
• Totally wound watches run not less than 31 hrs.
• Diameter - 38mm

you can keep this watch to your grandchildren, hahaha
Khan Wooi

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »

Very true.
You can pass down your watches to your son, then your grandchildren.   :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline kltime

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
actually i currently waiting my Black Amphibia Scuba Dude, probably coming soon, cant wait for it.

Some pics whn u get it pls...is it with the compass bezel like mine or the dot-dash bezel?

Offline kltime

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:06 PM »

Very true.
You can pass down your watches to your son, then your grandchildren.   :Laughing_on_floor:

I tot this is only for Patek Phillpe  ;D

Offline khanwooi

• Vostok Russia Watches
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »

Some pics whn u get it pls...is it with the compass bezel like mine or the dot-dash bezel?

yes for sure,
but the bezel will be the dot-dash, not the compas.
but i do see some of the vostok collector, they change the bazel, and it straight make the watch look diff,
the bazel is like the skirt for it, change it, u got different feeling. hehehe
so as the strap, the nato strap, rubber strap it make it diff.
here some pic i get from my friends and internet

Original pic

Khan Wooi

Offline khanwooi

• Vostok Russia Watches
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »

Very true.

I tot this is only for Patek Phillpe  ;D

vostok komandirskie and amphibia, there is some collector do proof the watch is still moving even after 50-60 years,
as you see there is still exist 3aka3 MO CCCP vostok watch. and they still moving accuracy.
and there is some few said they found thier grandfather drawer and found boctok watches and supprisingly it still moving.
i think there is no one dare to let thier Patek Phillpe watch run OVER by a CAR.
but boctok can cause it cheap, reliable, durable and tough,

u now as our chinese they do say "only have 1 broken life, what you wan to do on it, just do it" haha that make it tough.
Khan Wooi

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 04:13:13 PM »
Ha HA. Life is tough.
Quote: "only have 1 broken life, what you wan to do on it, just do it" haha that make it tough.
Yes, you only live once, so just "Do It".  ;D

Offline Watchnewby

Just doing a summary check on Russian watch collector/fan in MWF :

1) bergkamp10 - Boctok Komandirskie/Amphibia 1970s
2) kltime - aviators, vostok amphibia
3) khanwooi - vostok
4) fistball - Vostok Komandiskie
5) watchnewby - Poljot signal alarm

Any more?