Author Topic: MB&F Legacy Machine One  (Read 3634 times)

Offline takashi78

MB&F Legacy Machine One
« on: October 06, 2011, 06:45:31 AM »
Taken from Hodinkee blog.
The official video of MB&F's latest creation.
Absolutely amazing piece!
Love the design on the front.

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
Re: MB&F Legacy Machine One
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 08:57:56 AM »
wow!!..
this is so cool...
from a glance it looks like tourbillon..
what is the 6 o'clock lever for??
power reserve?
Jacky Wong

Offline takashi78

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:10:23 AM »
Yup. Vertical power reserve.

Below is the official press release from their site.

Wild, extreme, outrageous, unrestrained: all might be used to describe MB&F's futuristic Horological Machines, but traditional, classical… round? With its monumental central balance; superlatively finished movement; completely independent dual time zones; unique vertical power reserve indicator and elegant annular case, Legacy Machine No.1 (LM1) is a tribute to the great innovators of traditional watchmaking; and above all, an authentic three-dimensional MB&F Machine.

Legacy Machine No.1 was conceived when Maximilian Büsser started fantasising: "What would have happened if I had been born in 1867 instead of 1967? In the early 1900s the first wristwatches appear and I would want to create three-dimensional machines for the wrist, but there are no Grendizers, Star Wars or fighter jets for my inspiration. But I do have pocket watches, the Eiffel Tower and Jules Verne, so what might my 1911 machine look like? It has to be round and it has to be three-dimensional: Legacy Machine No.1 was my answer."

In fidelity to high-quality 19th century pocket watches, LM1 features a sedately oscillating (2.5 Hz), large diameter balance with traditional Breguet overcoil suspended from majestic twin arches; its enigmatic regulating mechanism in full view, but without apparent connection to the movement. Both the hours AND the minutes on each of the two sub dials can be set completely independently of each other – dual time zone complications usually do not allow independent adjustment of the minutes – their domed dials further reinforcing visual references to the golden age of watchmaking (1780-1850). Looking like a miniature sextant, a world-first vertical power reserve indicator keeps track of available power while providing a visual three-dimensional counterpoint to the graceful arches supporting the balance.

Gazing down through Legacy Machine No.1's crystal clear bubble sapphire dome to the micro-mechanical fantasy below, it's easy to imagine Jules Verne’s Captain Nemo looking upon the mythical underwater city of Atlantis.

Legacy Machine No.1's transcendental in-house movement bears testimony to the enormous talent of its creators. Jean-François Mojon and his team at Chronode (Best Watchmaker Prize at the 2010 Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève) met the considerable challenge of developing the calibre for LM1 from a blank sheet, while acclaimed independent watchmaker Kari Voutilainen took responsibility for the aesthetic design and for strictly ensuring the utmost respect for tradition and finish. Immaculate Geneva waves, highly-polished gold chatons and bridges with impeccably executed bevels following deliberate internal angles (which cannot be finished by machine) showcase the movement's absolutely peerless fine-finishing. The movement of Legacy Machine No.1 proudly bears the names of both its creators, and is the first calibre other than Voutilainen's own to bear his name.

Legacy Machine No 1 – Technical Specifications

Engine:

Three-dimensional horological movement developed 100% for MB&F by Chronode and created by Jean-François Mojon and Kari Voutilainen

Manual winding with single mainspring barrel

Power reserve: 45 hours

Balance wheel: Bespoke 14mm balance wheel with four traditional regulating screws floating above the movement and dials

Balance spring: traditional Breguet curve terminating in mobile stud holder

Balance frequency: 18,000bph/2.5Hz

Number of components: 279

Number of jewels: 23

Chatons: gold chatons with polished countersinks

Fine finishing: superlative hand finishing throughout respecting 19th century style; internal bevel angles highlighting hand craft; polished bevels; Geneva waves; hand-made engravings

Functions:

Hours and minutes; completely independent dual time zones displayed on two dials; unique vertical power reserve

Left crown at 8 o'clock for setting time of left dial; right crown at 4 o'clock for setting time of right dial and winding

Case:

Available in 18k red gold or 18k white gold

Dimensions: 44mm wide x 16mm high

Number of components: 65

Sapphire crystals:

High domed sapphire crystal on top with anti-reflective coating on both sides; sapphire crystal on back with anti-reflective coating on single side

Strap & Buckle:

Black or brown hand-stitched alligator strap with gold tang buckle to match case

'Friends' responsible for Legacy Machine No 1

Concept: Maximilian Büsser / MB&F

Product design: Eric Giroud / Eric Giroud Design Studio

Technical and production management: Serge Kriknoff / MB&F

Movement development: Jean-François Mojon / Chronode

Movement design and finish specifications: Kari Voutilainen

Wheels: Jean-Marc Naval / Rouages SA

Balance wheel bridge: Benjamin Signoud / AMECAP

Balance wheel: Yann Le Martret / Société Manufacture d’ébauche de Balancier

Plates and bridges: Arnaud Faivre / Tec ébauches

Hand-engraving of movement: Eddy Jaquet 

Hand-finishing of movement components: Jacques-Adrien Rochat / C-L Rochat

Movement assemblage: Didier Dumas, Georges Veisy, Alexandre Bonnet of MB&F

Case: Bertrand Jeunet and Dominique Mainier of G&F Chatelain

Buckle: Erbas S.A.

Dials: François Bernhard and Denis Parel of Natéber

Hands: Pierre Chillier, Isabelle Chillier and Félix Celetta of Fiedler

Glass: Martin Stettler of Stettler

Strap: Olivier Purnot / Camille Fournet

Presentation box: Olivier Berthon

Production logistics: David Lamy / MB&F

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 09:28:12 AM »
Wow! Initially I thought it was a tourbillon too!
At least it has nice and clean dial.

Thanks for the link, takashi.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
Wow! Initially I thought it was a tourbillon too!
At least it has nice and clean dial.

Thanks for the link, takashi.

At first I thought is MBF new ATM machine from the subject title, but after checking out the Video, damn, I must say it is one of the master piece, Vertical power reserve is like escalator, the Bridge to me is not Eiffel Tower, more like the bridge in the "Thor" movie  ;D...Thanks for sharing Peter.. :thumbsup:

P/S : what is the retail price for this piece???
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline takashi78

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »
I would guess in the range of usd70-100k retail.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »
I would guess in the range of usd70-100k retail.

:o :o :o...so expensive
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline takashi78

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »
Just found out, msrp for the watch is USD92,000.