Author Topic: Zenith Captain Winsor El Primero Annual Calendar  (Read 8329 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Zenith Captain Winsor El Primero Annual Calendar
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
Read From a blog that Zenith have announced the Captain Winsor EP Annual Calendar and alot of ppl including me are excited about the RRP at USD8700!!

Why am I excited? Well.... for that price, you get a truly proven in house movement with the El Primero AND an Annual Calendar complication. The package is simply too irresistable!!
Most Annual Calendars costs upwards of usd16k-20k... I hope this model will be a huge success for Zenith as I admit I am a big fan of theirs.  :)

The design is classy for me... good enough for formal dinner affairs or parties.
I am loving the stainless steel model with silver guilloche dial adorned with gold indices... I likeee...  ;D

Annual calender complication watches only needs one manual setting of the date on the month of February and your good to go for a year!! Cool!!  :thumbsup:

Pics borrowed from the blog.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:16:54 AM by hanz079 »
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline davidtth

Re: Zenith Captain Windsor El Primero Annual Calendar
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:26:34 AM »
looks good !  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Offline steveting

Re: Zenith Captain Winsor El Primero Annual Calendar
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:38:46 PM »
SUI!~

Offline shamtv2555

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 12:49:42 PM »
not bad.....

Offline spoonfork

• Freshie
  • Out of the f**king way! Iban dude coming through!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:45:53 PM »
USD8700 is still out of my reach :(

The SS with the blue second hands looks pretty neat. However, I am still not very fond of the new dial of the new EPs, especially the display date at 6 o'clock. Previous movements (400 series?) with the display date at 4 o'clock looks better, aesthetically. In addition, there's a HUGE gap between the day and month display at 3 o'clock for the Captain Winsor - why don't they reduce the gap and make the day display 3 letters instead of 2? That design looks really odd to me.

--mel

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 02:38:33 PM »
I will agree that it is in the dna of the el primero to be non hack and have the date at the 4pm position...
As to the overall aesthetics, it worked for me though... But then again, I am biased... ;D
Now as to the usd8700 price tag, it is unatainable to me too... At the moment but hey, aim high right?
To the best of my knowledge, this el primero annual calendar combo at usd8700 is a bloody good deal when you look at an Omega Aqua Terra co axial annual calendar or a deVille annual calendar going for usd24000 and above.
And an even desireable one would be a patek at usd55000 and above.
Both non chrono.
Comparing it like this, wouldn't this ep + annual calendar look like a steal at that price?
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »
USD8700 is still out of my reach :(

The SS with the blue second hands looks pretty neat. However, I am still not very fond of the new dial of the new EPs, especially the display date at 6 o'clock. Previous movements (400 series?) with the display date at 4 o'clock looks better, aesthetically. In addition, there's a HUGE gap between the day and month display at 3 o'clock for the Captain Winsor - why don't they reduce the gap and make the day display 3 letters instead of 2? That design looks really odd to me.

--mel

Bro, good observation  :thumbsup: I am curious too for the day display with 2 letters, but the overall design still cun, especially the one with Rose gold marking in Pure silver plain, Elegant.... :thumbsup:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline Alice

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 02:41:53 PM »
Very elegant and classy watch  :thumbsup:

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
Very classy indeed, the new line-up from Zenith.

I can only drool about it as I find the price is beyond my reach.

Offline spoonfork

• Freshie
  • Out of the f**king way! Iban dude coming through!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 08:57:43 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, this el primero annual calendar combo at usd8700 is a bloody good deal when you look at an Omega Aqua Terra co axial annual calendar or a deVille annual calendar going for usd24000 and above.
And an even desireable one would be a patek at usd55000 and above.
Both non chrono.
Comparing it like this, wouldn't this ep + annual calendar look like a steal at that price?

At USD8700 it is a bloody good deal - even cheaper than the striking 10th or 36,000.

Here's a photo of the disk:

Until there's an in-depth review, I am left to wonder about the 2-letter day and the gap between the day and month.

Cheers,

--mel

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »
Thanks Mel for posting up the photo of the disk.
By looking at the disk, I can make out 2 holes that are needed for the chronograph 60 minutes elapsed time and seconds hand.
One in the middle of July and Wednesday and another hole just above April.

Seeing that these 2 holes are needed for the chronograph and seconds indicator, that would be the reason why the day will have to remain at 2 alphabets instead of 3 as it will cover up the 2 holes if the day disc were to be made bigger...
A Zenith Elite 3 hands movement paired with an annual calendar would be nicely proportionate for your style but unfortunately, there isn't one....  ;D

The Omega Aqua Terra Annual Calendar looks more clean and priced around usd12-24k depending on steel or rose gold but left me wondering who on earth came up with the "coffin shape" day date indicator. ::)
And bear in mind there are no chronograph for the Omegas...

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:52:10 PM by hanz079 »

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 12:31:43 AM »

I like the first one on the left, manyak cantik oui!  ;D
watchManU

Offline HusH

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 05:18:56 AM »
This watch is a collaboration with the same guys who created the MIH watch. They designed the annual calendar module fitted on the El Primero.  :thumbsup:

Have to agree, the big gap between the day & month looks odd.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 05:54:51 AM »
This watch is a collaboration with the same guys who created the MIH watch. They designed the annual calendar module fitted on the El Primero.  :thumbsup:

Have to agree, the big gap between the day & month looks odd.
It is a wonder what 9 extra parts can do right?
As for the gap for the day and month, unavoidable i guess.
Wonder if the same collaboration can be done on a Zenith Elite movement... That would be cool...

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 07:37:26 AM »
Thanks Mel for posting up the photo of the disk.
By looking at the disk, I can make out 2 holes that are needed for the chronograph 60 minutes elapsed time and seconds hand.
One in the middle of July and Wednesday and another hole just above April.

Seeing that these 2 holes are needed for the chronograph and seconds indicator, that would be the reason why the day will have to remain at 2 alphabets instead of 3 as it will cover up the 2 holes if the day disc were to be made bigger...
A Zenith Elite 3 hands movement paired with an annual calendar would be nicely proportionate for your style but unfortunately, there isn't one....  ;D

The Omega Aqua Terra Annual Calendar looks more clean and priced around usd12-24k depending on steel or rose gold but left me wondering who on earth came up with the "coffin shape" day date indicator. ::)
And bear in mind there are no chronograph for the Omegas...

Good illustration, now we all know why the day display only show 2 letters. thanks for the sharing... :thumbsup:

P/S : I thought only Hobbit do that  ;D, Keep it up, illustration helpful for some layman like me, especially lazy to search  ;D
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 08:11:16 AM »
Thanks for the compliments siodee  :Cheers:
There is one question though... hope someone here can answer.
I notice the date wheel is 1-31 but the day wheel consists of 2 sets of Monday to Sunday and the Month wheel consists of double months...
Why ar ???

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 10:07:42 AM »
As a noobs, my guess is that the day wheel consists of 2 sets of Monday to Sunday because the wheel turn at a faster rate as compared relatively to the month and date wheels.
The Month wheel, located in the middle between the day wheel and the date wheel, may moves at a rate slower that the day wheel and maybe moves a notch every 15 days, therefore consists of double months so as to synchronise with the day and sate wheels.

(Note : The above is my guess only, I may be wrong; any watch sifus here, please give your comments)