Author Topic: Review of the Casio MDV102-1AV  (Read 9393 times)

Offline gavinjayanand

Review of the Casio MDV102-1AV
« on: September 18, 2011, 05:22:03 AM »

Hi everyone, thought I'd start my second post off on MWF with something productive; a review of the Casio MDV102-1AV "Super Illuminator" (a little more on the name later ;)). This watch is one of my favourites and with good reason, too. It's an absolute beauty coupled with the features to substantiate it. The watch comes on a rubber band, although Casio does do a metal bracelet variant too.

This watch is meant to be a diver's and it walks the talk. The body of the watch is made of polished steel, whereas the rubber strap's buckle is brushed (steel).

It's water resistant to 20 Bar (200 metres) and has a very secure screw-down crown. The watch itself is not too large, measuring in at 42mm excluding the crown and 45mm including. Lug-to-lug, the watch measures in at 50mm, making it very presentable.

In addition, there's a uni-directional bezel which allows for a very secure-sounding 120 clicks. The bezel is also knurled, allowing for slippery divers' fingers purchase on it (bezel). The whole watch is very well put together and is not something you would be afraid to drop or rough up a little. Having said that, however, it does seem to be particularly susceptible to scratches. This happens mainly on the body and isn't really noticeable unless you look very closely, but it does irritate me to no end to see even the smallest of scractches  :Mad:

The watch also features a date which is always a deal-breaker for me. The most magnificent aspect of this watch would be the light which powers it and gives the watch its nickname. There are two LEDs at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. One touch of the pusher above the crown and the whole watch lights up spectacularly. You may think I'm exaggerating but when I say bright, I mean bright! I can actually illuminate a whole room with it and it is really handy at night. The lume is great too and with a good sun-soak, it can last through the night.

The only complaint I'd have of this watch would be the rubber strap which can be VERY stiff when first bought. That said, it softens with use and is now fully formed to my wrist, making it a pleasure to wear. Needless to say, timekeeping is spot on. She's lost 2 seconds over 2 months, timed against an atomic clock.

All in all, it's a very enjoyable timepiece at a very competitive price. Hats off to Casio and a 4.5/5 potential stars for me.

Thanks for reading and do let me know what you think!

All the best,

Gavin
I didn't make it all the way to third grade for nothing! -Percival C. McLeach

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Review of the Casio MDV102-1AV
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 07:10:53 AM »
Very nice review Gavin.  :thumbsup:
Is that the helium helium escape valve at 2 o'clock?

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 08:03:16 AM »
thanks for the review...now i feel non-productive as i've yet to post my 1st review even after 200+ posts  :'(

anyway, can you post a pic of the illumination?  :thumbsup:

Offline gavinjayanand

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 03:51:32 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

@ck77 I'd be very happy to say that is a helium escape-valve, but sadly, it isn't  :( That pusher sets off the lights which is absolutely fabulous (see below for a lousy camera phone pic that hopefully corroborates my story ;))

@Omnipotent No problem mate, as requested

My camera can't quite catch the entire glow of the watch (it being a measly 1.3MP, but hopefully you have some idea as to its brightness.

All the best,

Gavin

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:10:38 PM »
gavin...rather interesting posting..cant recall many posting on casio watch here.perhaps other than gshock casio you are next guy after me posting about casio...and my posting on my edifice is about a year ago....hehehhe.....and some tips,u need camera with controlable shutter speed to capture the lume effect....cheers bro.love your piece

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 07:59:35 AM »
Good review on the Casio, Gavin. Love your diving piece.

Perhaps I will do one on mine in a couple of weeks.

Cheers.

Offline gavinjayanand

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:23:19 AM »
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed reading it  :thumbsup:

@mnazritan Thanks for the advice man, quite unfortunately, I can't control the shutter speed on my phone's camera. I'll get a better camera, then try it with that. As for us being the only two reviewing Casio watches... great minds think alike!  :P

All the best,

Gavin

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 07:36:48 AM »
Nice review ;)

More photos please  :Cheers:

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »
Good job ,  :thumbsup: now that I read it, know more about Casio, not just the digital watch only...
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline Hellkite

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 09:57:31 AM »
Great review. Didn't know there were such nice looking Casio watches out there. Not really a fan of the G-shock so never really looked at it. Thanks for opening my eyes!

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »
like the lights ! so bright just by looking at the picture  :thumbsup: :)
reminds me of a watch from victorinox

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »
Love the tooth/gear like design on the bezel. The light function is actually quite practical. Good review.
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »
how long can the battery last ?? the light is so bright it might drain the battery very fast ::)