Author Topic: Photography gear for Dummies  (Read 6215 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Photography gear for Dummies
« on: August 29, 2011, 09:36:43 AM »
As the title suggests.
This thread is for all inputs from members regarding photography for dummies like me.
What we need here is a recommendation on cameras...
I guess everyone would like to shoot beautiful picture of watches, macro shots of watches, scenery, bustling streets etc...
The problem is, is there 1 camera out there to do the job?
Budget is the keyword here.
Most beginners would not like to drop serious moolah and camera + lens + tripods and the whole nine yards...

I notice the problems with most cameras out there "that I have tried" seems to get blurry pictures if my hands tremble a little while shooting... is this normal?
And when I try to get close up pics, it does not seem to focus? Why is that?
And when taking photographs with a bright background, the subject will be all dark. Why ar?

For ease of use for beginners, kindly reply with language and jargon that is undestandable by laypersons like me...  ;D
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:39:42 AM by hanz079 »
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline takashi78

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: Photography gear for Dummies
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »
http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,2728.0.html
Some good info there, was going well earlier on but it seems you go for the jugular in the end as well...  :Laughing_on_floor:
My apologies for not doing a search.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »
No worries, well from what i gather any of the below is more than enough for everyday use without going miceo 4/3 or dslr.

Canon S95
Olympus XZ1
Panasonic LX5

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »
No worries, well from what i gather any of the below is more than enough for everyday use without going miceo 4/3 or dslr.

Canon S95
Olympus XZ1
Panasonic LX5
Ranked in that order?
Pete, if you did not go all out, which of the above would you pick?
Hobb's X100 seems to get alot of attention as well...

Offline peanut

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »
X100 is a good camera but personally I think it is too expensive.  It has a good lens, classic good look but its operations are quirky.  S95 or the G12 are far easier to use but of course less sexy. 

I would not want to use p&s for macro/closeup work.  But then, when do I know, I only use my old G9 for p&s.  Most of the times, I am exercising using my faithful 1D and the L lenses   ;D

Offline takashi78

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:54:29 PM »
Not particular order, they all do 99% the same thing.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »
X100 is a good camera but personally I think it is too expensive.  It has a good lens, classic good look but its operations are quirky.  S95 or the G12 are far easier to use but of course less sexy. 

I would not want to use p&s for macro/closeup work.  But then, when do I know, I only use my old G9 for p&s.  Most of the times, I am exercising using my faithful 1D and the L lenses   ;D

I think the x100 price is right... it cost around RM5K++ for a Canon 35mmL glass which you only got one lens.. and it's huge and heavy.. this x100 image quality is almost (or on-par) with my L glass (which i tested), so, for a 3.3K (now selling around this price), you got a new camera that produce L lenses quality..i think it's worth it... sometimes, you will need a smaller camera to carrying around ;) Just my opinion la  ;D

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
for dummy.... i think iphone 4 is very good!!!

Offline takashi78

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 01:40:49 PM »
I second that, iphone is surprisingly good as a smart phone with camera.

Offline pugs16

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »
hanz079,

If you are just starting off....have you considered 2nd hand / used equipment? especially for DSLRs, lens and the lot. Reason being, no need to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$ and at the end of the day, if you decide photography is not your thing, you don't loose out that much.

For P&S shoot cameras, I guess you can buy new.

My 2cents...

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 08:31:03 PM »
start smaller... get a S95 or Olympus XZ-1 and learn the ropes and then only see if you want to go the DSLR or M4/3 route.

As a S95 owner..i highly suggest the Olympus XZ-1. A great all rounder camera, variety of art fun art filters to play/experiment with, and wonderful lens. Really good price for the whole package too  :thumbsup:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline peanut

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »
I second that, iphone is surprisingly good as a smart phone with camera.
IPhone is good if you view the pictures on your phone itself. Try to look at your iPhone pictures on the computer.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 08:53:17 PM »
Budget is the keyword here.
Most beginners would not like to drop serious moolah and camera + lens + tripods and the whole nine yards...

I notice the problems with most cameras out there "that I have tried" seems to get blurry pictures if my hands tremble a little while shooting... is this normal?
And when I try to get close up pics, it does not seem to focus? Why is that?
And when taking photographs with a bright background, the subject will be all dark. Why ar?

For ease of use for beginners, kindly reply with language and jargon that is undestandable by laypersons like me...  ;D
Thanks.

I guess, for budget cameras, most P&S will do the trick.
Otherwise go for pre-owned (2nd hand) DSLRs. Which brand - depends on your liking. Most entry level DSLR works 99% the same.
Blurry pictures can be caused by :
1) Trembling hands
2) When pressing down the shutter, your hands shake.
3) If put on tripod, forgot to switch off the "shake reduction" function.
4) If everything on the cameraman is perfect, the subject moved/

When one try to get close up pics., the camera (especially P&S) has a harder time to adjust the focusing range. This can be remedied if one chose "macro" or "potraits" function depending on the closeness of the subject.

My reply is the background light is behind the subject, hence when you take the picture of the subject it will be dark (unless you use flash to "contra" the background lights. (This will be true or effective depending on the distance of the cameraman and the subject).
The rule of thumb is always take the subject with the lights shining directly on him/her/it. (Unless one wanted to take a silhoutte pictures)

Hope that answer your question in "layman's term".

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 01:44:22 PM »
Just check the photo that some members post here, and if you like that, just PM the guy, I want to buy yr camera, sell it to me, or can trade with my watches???  write down the settings that you set for taking the watches photo :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain