Author Topic: Vintage Watch - General Information  (Read 5441 times)

Offline Watchnewby

Vintage Watch - General Information
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:31:22 PM »
I guess I as hit by the "watch bug" and has inmersed myself of reading up all about watches, whether modern or vintage. I am more intrigue on the vintage watch, hence, my thoughts on this subject.

Vintage or antique watch sounds the same but not the same if we compare from the perspective of "age group" and "value". Maybe some watch lovers or collector categorised watches between 40 to 50 years old as vintage dan anything above (>)50 years as antiques. If we follow this guide, watchs from the 80s can only be considered as old watch or new old stock (if the watch was produced many years ago but not sold)

From 1920s to 1940s the style of the pocket watch is small and the casing is uniquely designedwith art deco using winding-movementi. Majority uses straps made of leather.
1950s mark the start of the "instrument" watch trend with slightly bigger size(around 38mm to 40mm) like 3-register chronograph, diver, full-calendar  etc.
1960s see the transition to the watch face (crystal) from acrylic (plastic) to glass.
1970s is the era of tough watches, metal strap, bigger size and "retro" and uses hardened mineral glass.
During the 1960s also see the technological breakthrough in electronics, electro-mechanical, and quartz lead by Seiko at that point of time.

Where to obtain these so called vintage or antique watches?
Well Internet is a good place to start. It is also a venue one can choose and browse through as well as interact with the seller. (Tips or advice on buying from internet or buying a vintage watch can be found on other threads, so I won't go into details here)
Another place is the 'flea market' (in BM, 'pasar lambak').
Some sells these vintage at their shops.

I will be scouting around for some working vintages as one of my "Wants".

Offline engkow

Re: Vintage Watch - General Information
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:29:22 AM »
hi, i have two vintage watch for you to see, the omega need rm 2k - rm 5k i got the quote from the omega service center.
the other is election also need repair both are more than 50 years. repairing vintage watch are expensive.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:55:18 AM »
Engkow,

That's two nice Omega vintage you have there.
I just got caught by the "vintage watch bug", hence the interest in this genre. Currently I am researching on Russian-made vintage. Still a newbie on watches and trying to absorb as much information as possible.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:21:47 AM »
For that sum what is Omega going to do to restore the watch?

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »
Vintage watches used to be from 1970s and earlier.
The year 2012 is looming soon, and IMO early 1980s watches will be deemed vintage watches right?

Offline StuertMiller

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »
I am very big fan of watches and always like to wear a fabulous looking watch. I have done a very huge collection of different brands, designs, style and features watches. Rolex, Rado, Tissot, D&G, Accurate, Bassel and Century these are my most favourite watches brand that i ever like to wear for richest look.