Author Topic: 367 in China Customs!  (Read 11840 times)

Offline ancs88

• Alan
367 in China Customs!
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:25:42 AM »
Well, just want to relate my story! I had my name on the list for PAM 367 in HKG few months back but unexpectedly, they called me to collect the watch. Fortunately, I'm in Shenzhen and able to make the trip down to HKG yesterday to collect the watch.

While on the way back to China, I was stopped by the customs officer and told me that the watch cannot be brought in to China unless I pay 30% tax.

I almost head back to HKG at the very first impulse, but they offered to keep the watch in the customs (CNY8/day). Now, I've left the watch there under their safekeeping until I go collect it when I go to HKG next time.

Anyone have any kind of experience leaving their valuables at the customs so not to pay tax? I'm really worried that the watch might get stolen, worn or damaged, etc...?

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: 367 in China Customs!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:27:56 AM »
Huh? Left the watch in the custody of custom? First time am hearing it.
Why can't bring in? Even for own collection?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:41:19 AM »
Don't know what is the tax policy in China but here in Taiwan, if you buy a watch from overseas, and if it posted to you via mail (EMS or other services), there is no tax. However, if you FEDEX the watch, you have to pay tax. But since I am not local, the tax cert will be under my name and I can claim the tax when I leave the country (within 30 days of paying the tax). So far I just pay the tax (5%).

Have you declared the watch as your personal watch and will not be selling it? 30% is rather high.

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:10:59 AM »
I told them it's mine but they say as long as I intend to bring the "NEW" watch into China, I have to pay tax! So, what I'll do now is go back to the customs, collect the watch, goto hongkong and wear it back to china.

The triple boxes will be brought it separately by another friend.

What do you think?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
Don't know what is the tax policy in China but here in Taiwan, if you buy a watch from overseas, and if it posted to you via mail (EMS or other services), there is no tax. However, if you FEDEX the watch, you have to pay tax. But since I am not local, the tax cert will be under my name and I can claim the tax when I leave the country (within 30 days of paying the tax). So far I just pay the tax (5%).

Have you declared the watch as your personal watch and will not be selling it? 30% is rather high.

i sent few watches to taiwan....
sent with fedex no tax
then sent via dhl... they charge buyer 5% tax
after that sent another via ems, no tax

china on heavy tax for luxury goods.... as long as u dun bring the box is ok....
my frens from china bought 2 tourbillons here in msia... they gave up the big box.... jus wear the new tourbillon on hands....

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:15:40 AM »
Well, I have the bad experience with China custom at Da Lian where part of our goods are missing under their custody. I was like  :Scolding:, we pay money and somemore the items are missing, not watch, but some small piece equipments, need to get the cert to clear it, so we decided to get the forwarder to move it to HK while going through paper work since the custom charge for storage by daily calculation.

Bro, better get it back. But why in the first place they know you wearing brand new PAM? I was surprise they can find out

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »
No lah, it wasn't on my wrist. It was well packed in the box and paper bag and I have to put it thru the scan. The guy there then directed me to another room which is the custom office.

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 10:26:39 AM »
Well, I have the bad experience with China custom at Da Lian where part of our goods are missing under their custody. I was like  :Scolding:, we pay money and somemore the items are missing, not watch, but some small piece equipments, need to get the cert to clear it, so we decided to get the forwarder to move it to HK while going through paper work since the custom charge for storage by daily calculation.

Bro, better get it back. But why in the first place they know you wearing brand new PAM? I was surprise they can find out

You making me more worried lah... I think I better go to HKG tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »
Wah Piang Oi!! You can trust such expensive items under the care of customs ar?
Ball of steel man...  :Startled:
I kenot even trust govt ppl to take care of a cheapo alarm clock... let alone a PAM!!!
I think you better go get it... and fast....  :HammerHead:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline limsy

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 11:39:02 AM »
Bro hats off to you man!
Leaving a brand new PAM there!
Balls of steel indeed!
 :Cheers:

Offline siodee

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »

You making me more worried lah... I think I better go to HKG tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Sorry Bro, not try to scare you, but to me, something on my hand is better than leave it to others. You are talking about PAM here, I would rather get it back ASAP lor, better wear this time when go back to China, perhaps using different transport just to be sure not to get caught again.  :Praying:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 11:55:16 AM »
thanks!

Sorry Bro, not try to scare you, but to me, something on my hand is better than leave it to others. You are talking about PAM here, I would rather get it back ASAP lor, better wear this time when go back to China, perhaps using different transport just to be sure not to get caught again.  :Praying:

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
Bro you scare me

If I am not mistaken didn't you wait a while to get this PAM?

Better get it back unless you have connections there (in customs i mean)

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 12:46:12 PM »
Going to HKG tomorrow to get my watch back!

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »
All the best man, hope everything go well.

Offline siodee

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 02:45:19 PM »
Yeah, all the Best and Good luck :thumbsup:, and remember when you got it, just post the new baby here  :Cheers:

Offline nayo

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
Best of luck bro. Good advice from the folks here to get your watch asap. Shuda worn your watch and fold the boxes to keep separately among your clothes etc. Had similar experience here at Subang airport many years ago with high end hifi interconnects for a friend. As it was still in packaging the customs wanted to tax 30% (back in those days), so decided to keep it in their bonded store for reexport. Collected it on my next outbound trip and reimported it a few days later minus the packaging. The worrisome part was locating the item as the inventories are not stored properly and finding it took a while.

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 03:27:25 PM »
Thanks everyone!!! Will post some shots when I get the watch back!

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 08:13:15 PM »
Got my watch back in perfect condition!!!

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »
Good for you. The nightmare over.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 08:18:12 PM »
Some quick shots!

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »
Congrats on the PAM00367. Good that everything turn out well.

Offline ancs88

• Alan
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 08:31:50 PM »
Congrats on the PAM00367. Good that everything turn out well.

Thank you!!!

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 09:07:07 PM »
Phew... that's good to hear...  :Cheers:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline takashi78

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 09:23:36 PM »
Now who says a PAM dont look good on a lady's wrist.
Great looking PAM you have there!