Author Topic: Watching TV with an old friend  (Read 6470 times)

Offline G.MAC

Watching TV with an old friend
« on: June 11, 2011, 05:25:52 PM »
Rummaging around my stash and bump into an old buddy from the 90's at the bottom of the stash.
Daniel Jeanrichard TV automatic XL. One of his earlier made models.

Long time since I last saw it. Why it is call TV i dont know. I dont even know the specifications of the watch. Trying to look online for it but fail also.
Case is polished stainless steel.
Ivory color dial with brown arabic numbers. Lume only on the hands.

Crown is also stainless steel with the Daniel Jeanrichard initials engraved into it.

Solid caseback with the words 'Daniel Jeanrichard' and the model number engraved into it.

Lug size is 22mm so lots of strap can be attached to it. On Heroic strap now.

My view on the watch. It is a bit hefty like a panerai but looks wise, it is more of a dress watch. Dont know what the water resist rating is for this watch. Case is 43mm. Wrist shot is in order:

Not much of a review but thank you and have an enjoyable read.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:08:36 PM by G.MAC »
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Watching TV with an old friend
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 05:53:17 PM »
Striking watch it is  :thumbsup:
Look like FM from a glance for me.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »
what is FM if i may ask?

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »
i am sure he meant frank muller watch

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:34:01 PM »
i am sure he meant frank muller watch
:thumbsup:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »
what is FM if i may ask?

Franck Muller?

A bit of history on DJR.

'Daniel JeanRichard was born in 1672 in Bressels, near La Sagne, in the Jura Mountains in what is now the Swiss canton (equivalent to a state) of Neuchâtel. According to the JeanRichard legend, around 1690, an English horse trader, while passing through the area, left his watch for repair with the teenaged JeanRichard, who was some sort of craftsman. (Some speculate he was a locksmith. Kathleen Pritchard, in her two-volume Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975 says he was “probably” a goldsmith. No one knows for sure.) The young man took the watch apart and made drawings of the parts. The horse trader picked up the watch on his return trip. Based on his drawings, JeanRichard proceeded to teach himself and his fellow Jura craftsmen and farmers how to make watch parts. In this way he introduced watchmaking to the Jura.'

The watch is called TV screen as the watch looks like a TV screen.  The watch is water resistant to 30 M. Crystal is sapphire. The movement is suppose to be an in-house automatic movement. It is no longer in production. Probably cost between RM 3,000 to RM 6,000 when it was released. The huge band in the price is explained below.

Have a soft spot for the brand but did not do well. Sales were slow as DJR itself is not a brand but a name. Distributors did not want to hold on to the brand and 'dumped' the brand and the watches were sold at massive discount. Sad really. This happen worldwide. The owners, GP had to do something to revive the brand, and the name change to Jean Richard (I stand corrected on this).

Just have a look at the pre-loved prices of the watches and you will feel for the brand.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 08:33:03 PM »
Ah i see. I thought at first that there was a typo and that what was meant was RM. My mistake. Thanks for the info hobbit. I do not know how much this costs back then as I got it as a gift back then also. Never knew the newer ones are just called Jeanrichard now. Thought of picking up a GMT model but prices are pretty steep nowadays.

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 11:18:29 PM »
must be a huge stash you have... ;D

Offline Manburg

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
Rummaging around my stash and bump into an old buddy from the 90's at the bottom of the stash.

I tried to do the same but only came across my old 12 year old IC! :'(

Lucky you! ;D
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 06:52:33 PM »

I tried to do the same but only came across my old 12 year old IC! :'(

Lucky you! ;D

I was a bit more lucky. Like G.Mac I also found something, and not one watch but two. Sadly these were the watches....

:HammerHead:

Offline Manburg

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »

I was a bit more lucky. Like G.Mac I also found something, and not one watch but two. Sadly these were the watches....

:HammerHead:

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 08:03:30 AM »
i think they should call this old tv
bcoz new tv all wide, thin, square......

i bought the small one for a fren from bay b4, good quality, the croc skin strap is top

g.mac
the 43mm case look small on ur wrist.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 08:26:56 AM »
yea..i have a huge wrist. Around 8 3/4 inch. Thats why i want to see how the 60mm egiziano looks on my wrist.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
Do it ! hehe....

The DJR reminds me abit of the FM Sahara (i think).