Author Topic: Bangladesh May2011  (Read 6635 times)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Bangladesh May2011
« on: May 19, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »
Just back from a least develop country…. Bangladesh! (on business)

Day 1, late night flight, 2 hours slow, reach there around 12am++ (2am++ msia time), damn tire. Didn’t know my contact is so powerful, we were brought to the VIP lounge

Lucky hotel is just very near to the airport. 15 mins drive (during midnight). But along the 15mins…. I felt strange….yeap, its dark…. Not much street light, and the 6 lane main road from airport to Dhaka city centre hv speed hump! Then the road to hotel is so narrow, I thought I’m asking to arrange at least 4 star hotel, how come the road leading to it like that?

Then I was told earlier my booking for westin hotel is canceled when we postpone the trip. So we stay here at this 3 star eastern residence hotel, where the Bangladesh-Malaysia chamber of Commerce & Industry office resided as well.

4 hours sleep, then i had my 1st bite of chapatti… with dal. Then had a meeting with

After that we move on to visit to some government depts. I was so shock with the traffic

Ppl there drive better than f1 driver. Every1 fight for the inch space on the road…

We had our lunch at a hotel in the city, traditional food…. Very good, I enjoy it very much. Much better curry than I had in Malaysia. Just the dessert is too sweet to my taste.

The mouth fresher after meal….. better than what I expected

Street food is what I won’t dare to try, somehow i not sure about the hygiene.

Along the way, I found the power cable is really a mess to me

Day 1 dinner we was invited to an thai restaurant. I was told thai food is very popular in Bangladesh

The feeling to get into this restaurant is weird, from messy and noisy road suddenly we stop and go into a restaurant with 5 star interior…..
U see ppl dress so well compare with those on the street.
Food is just so so since we all use to thai food.

Day 2 we move from Dhaka to Chittagong

Thnx to our drivers… its 200km ++ journey. Yeah… 200km++ journey, from here to yong peng!!! But the highway there is not Malaysia highway, so I expect the bad….
As expected, the lane is narrow, the road is premix is uneven…. That’s not that bad right…
But how about a trishaw and the bike convert taxi (CNC) on the same road…. Ppl crossing, every1 overtake…. Opposite vehicle forcing u to stop… especially the big vehicle!!!
Its been long long long long time I never feel like vomiting in a car…

This is how they drive, a hand on the steering, another on the horn!!! Lucky around 1pm is lunch time. If we continue like this I sure vomit. 

We were invited by a member of parliament for a lunch in his kampong house…..

The organic chicken curry is so good, the tilapia fish is so so as expected …. But the beef curry is really delicious…. Tender and sweet. Was told is local beef. The original ‘apom’ is taste like those we can find in penang. Half fermented Rice flour + egg

Some nice view around the area of mirserai….

We stay till sunset…. 5pm ++.

Guess what? we stuck, we cant even get into Dhaka-Chittagong Highway…. The highway is stuck!!! With the help from my contact, the industrial police is trying to open up the road….  The car there squeeze into every inches and there is no emergency lane…. The police run to front and back to clear, then we drive few minutes, stuck again and then police jump down and clear again…..
Thnkx

Reach Chittagong mid night
Stay at this new hotel

Not bad, the hotel is modified from an apartment, but beautiful work…. Good service, very clean!

Here I taste the best nan in my life as supper and dinner

The texture and taste is very much different from what we have in Malaysia. The prata (roti canai) also good.

Day 3 Chittagong

along the journey of my visits....

Bring my damasko to another site of river

Sinking boat

Some stunt

From the busy road, suddenly our driver bring us to this old industry building (looks like a warehouse), but when we walk in to this building, is a nice restaurant, here u can see some foreigner,  good 5 star local delights

More visits after lunch, these are some places we past through…. Most photo shoot in the van…

5pm we were again brought to the CIP room waiting for flight back to Dhaka

30mins flight. We are back to Dhaka, we take one whole day in car from Dhaka to Chittagong… can u imagine the traffic now?

Our friend brought us to a new Indian Restaurant, Oh Calcutta!!

The green mango juice is bit too salty to my taste but still very good

The tandoori chicken is surprisingly white instead of red! (tried another restaurant earlier is light red). Malaysia tandoori is too red.

Love this steam fish….

This is not nan, not prata, not chapatti…. Hmm…

I Also like this sweet yogurt  very much

Day 4,
We move north, stop at this ‘R&R’ for tea

Then we went through some terrible road again to view some places

Here I found a special jack fruit, but unfortunately its wasn’t ripe yet

Visited a village home here

Then we were hosted by a well known ceramic maker for lunch…. Again the chicken curry is fantastic!

They are the oem maker for all Versace ceramic. They said recently they supplied the prince William high profile wedding as well. 90% of their market is in Europe. And our Tun M and current PM both owned their ceramic plates.

Then half way back to Dhaka we were welcomed by some lovely lady with flowers for some site seeing

Last dinner for this trip to Bangladesh was hosted by my fren in his house

OMG, the best is always serving in the end….
2 type of fish, beef, chicken, prawn, vege….. and best of all, is this lamb leg

I cant describe how good it is….

After late dinner, we are catching our mid night flight

Good bye Bangladesh

and the good local tea

Offline takashi78

Re: Bangladesh May2011
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »
Wow very good glimpse into the everyday life of that country.

You have some powerful friends LOL. Even can ask police to open up the road for you during traffic jam.

Any pics of what the hotel rooms look like?

Offline nayo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »
Wow, the last 2 pix really fired up my cravings. I know what I'm going to have for lunch tomorrow already.
Good write up.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Wow... thanks for sharing... really interesting.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »
Wow very good glimpse into the everyday life of that country.

You have some powerful friends LOL. Even can ask police to open up the road for you during traffic jam.

Any pics of what the hotel rooms look like?

i do hv the hotel interior pic... but hotel is ok... nothing special.... just like what we hv here.... reasonably price too...
rm200 for a 4 star hotel, rm160 for 3 star.... no $ to book 5 star so dunno the price

those are industrial police, my contact knew his director.... we hv dinner twice with him as well.... but better dun post ppl photo here!

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 01:57:27 PM »
for once i was not focusing so much on your wrist when looking at the pics...but the story and comments...Thanks for the enjoyable reading...
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:54:33 PM »
for once i was not focusing so much on your wrist when looking at the pics...but the story and comments...Thanks for the enjoyable reading...

then u r normal... bcoz i never post this in watch section....  :Laughing_on_floor:
start to miss the good curry now....