Author Topic: Rolex GMT-Master - Ref. 16700  (Read 20641 times)

Offline Manburg

Re: Rolex GMT-Master - Ref. 16700
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »
Maybe because his good friend Che beat him to the GMT and all he got was a sub  :Laughing_on_floor:

Good one! :thumbsup:  :D
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 02:11:17 PM »
Manburg, noobs in GMT.
What's the difference between GMT and GMT II ?

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 02:31:02 PM »
Manburg, noobs in GMT.

what the diff between gmt 2 older version and ceramic gee mm tee two?

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »
ck

I have had handle a GMT once that belongs to my brother.

The different is that the short hour hand on the GMT is non adjustable. Whereas the short hour hand on the GMTII is independently adjustable, same as the explorer II.

Correct me if I am wrong.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »
a bit strange for me to see these figures who stood up against imperialism, capitalism wearing Rolexes...the very symbol of money and wealth///
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline Manburg

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »
Manburg, noobs in GMT.

CK, there were actually a few differences. Let me just take you to some of them.

The first GMT-Master that was re-named as GMT-Master II is the model ref. 16760 (which was also known as Fat Lady/Sophia Loren) issued from 1983 to 1988. The movement used was 3085 that has hacking and quickset functions. It has also now been equipped with a sapphire crystal, though the markers are still using tritium as used in the 16750 and 1675. The crown protectors are also a bit bigger than its predecessor.

The most marked change is however the GMT hand is now no longer being controlled by the hour hand. Meaning, it could be adjusted independently without having to adjust the hour hand, which is the case in GMT-Master (even the ref. 16700, as mine). Thus, with a rotatable bezel, the GMT-Master II could now display three different time zones simultaneously, as opposed to two in the GMT-Master.

Hope that helps a bit.

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »
CK, there were actually a few differences. Let me just take you to some of them.

The first GMT-Master that was re-named as GMT-Master II is the model ref. 16760 (which was also known as Fat Lady/Sophia Loren) issued from 1983 to 1988. The movement used was 3085 that has hacking and quickset functions. It has also now been equipped with a sapphire crystal, though the markers are still using tritium as used in the 16750 and 1675. The crown protectors are also a bit bigger than its predecessor.

The most marked change is however the GMT hand is now no longer being controlled by the hour hand. Meaning, it could be adjusted independently without having to adjust the hour hand, which is the case in GMT-Master (even the ref. 16700, as mine). Thus, with a rotatable bezel, the GMT-Master II could now display three different time zones simultaneously, as opposed to two in the GMT-Master.

Hope that helps a bit.
Thanks Manburg & DC :thumbsup:
So we can reckon that GMT-Master II was 'renamed' since 1983?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:02:21 PM by ck77 »

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »
a bit strange for me to see these figures who stood up against imperialism, capitalism wearing Rolexes...the very symbol of money and wealth///

that time lolex was still consider as tool watch as opposed to today.

Offline Manburg

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »

Thanks Manburg & DC :thumbsup:
So we can reckon that GMT-Master II was 'renamed' since 1983?

Yea, that wouldn't be wrong. Just note that even though 16760 was replaced by 16710 in 1989, there's another model running in parallel, i.e. 16700 which was started to be produced in 1988 up to 1999, and was the final version of the GMT-Master.

Offline Manburg

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »

Well, I can't speak for either Castro or Guevera for their choice of watches, or whether such choices betrayed their so-called struggle, but I would certainly know one leader that is very much known for his modesty and humility, even if such traits are only to be gleaned from his choice of watch.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 08:33:04 PM »

Well, I can't speak for either Castro or Guevera for their choice of watches, or whether such choices betrayed their so-called struggle, but I would certainly know one leader that is very much known for his modesty and humility, even if such traits are only to be gleaned from his choice of watch.

I believe this is the watch in question, Casio Men's Prayer Compass Watch CPW310-1 or one its variation.

Offline Manburg

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »

I believe this is the watch in question, Casio Men's Prayer Compass Watch CPW310-1 or one its variation.

Hobbit, thanks very much mate! :thumbsup: I do not know for sure, but I won't at all be surprised if that's indeed the one.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »
Sorry wrong one. His is white dial, so most likely this one, Casio Men's Prayer Compass Watch CPW310-7.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2011, 10:26:42 AM »

Yeah Guevara is the real Rambo of that era, organising and participating in armed struggles in Cuba, Bolivia, Congo and etc..

in those era, the selection of a real robust tool watch is not much. Thus came the marketing term " The Men who guided the destiny of the world would wear a Rolex"

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2011, 10:58:29 AM »

Yeah Guevara is the real Rambo of that era, organising and participating in armed struggles in Cuba, Bolivia, Congo and etc..

in those era, the selection of a real robust tool watch is not much. Thus came the marketing term " The Men who guided the destiny of the world would wear a Rolex"

good point GG and terence...yeah..i shouldnt see rolex as symbol of wealth then....

boy..must stop visiting this forum that often....the poison to own a rolex is really strong....
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline takashi78

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »
Below are still my fav Rolex ads. before those movie stars become ambassadors.

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 12:50:51 PM »
Takashi v nice
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Manburg

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »
Take a look at this advert for GMT-Master ref. 1675.

The tagline seems very simple and ordinary, "I want a good watch", and yet very meaningful and strikes the right chord.

Offline birdtung

• Freshie
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 08:33:41 PM »
Nice