Author Topic: Mido Commander model 8419  (Read 4928 times)

Offline tkyong1

Mido Commander model 8419
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:15:29 AM »
The Mido Commander has tall hour markers and in order to avoid obstructing the second and minute hands, they are made shorter than usual and this actually becomes the unique design of the watch. Although the dial is either gold or silver in color, it is very legible because of the contrasting black color on the hands and hour markers.

Most watches in the market come with either metal bracelet or leather strap. The mesh band of the Mido Commander is really something different from the rest. It is softer than most metal bracelet and hence very comfortable to wear. Most importantly, it is not a hair puller. If you are looking for a watch band to capture people's attention, mesh band is the way to go. However, i dislike band, so opt for the black leather. I regret after that, i should have get the silver dial with black leather strap, gold color is just too shining sometime.

I wear most of my watches on leather strap and tend to prefer watches with regular lugs. However, the hidden lug Mido Commander is one of the few exceptions that I like. The band is attached to the hidden lugs at the side of the case and all I see is a round watch case with the band attached at both sides. It is a design that actually eliminates the regular lugs and gives you strictly a round watch case, so to speak. I am not used to hidden lung, so i opt for regular lung.

The Mido commander seems to be pretty slim for a watch that uses the ETA 2836 movement. It is most likely because of its one-piece case and the curved and yet slim acrylic crystal. As a result, i bought an automatic watch widning machine (a cheap chinese made...hahah...from a regular forumer here..thanks Chris...your machine work fine).

Borrow some back case photo:

The crown is hidden under the watch case to avoid digging into the wrist. However, this makes it difficult to handwind the watch. Setting the day, date and time is fine though. iA

The watch uses the a special crown sealing system known as 'Aquadura Cork Crown Sealing' invented by Mido. It ensures complete water resistance with a specially treated piece of natural cork which is nested around the crown shaft. A secret treatment keeps the cork moist and thus preserves it elasticity for years. With this system, the watch is water resistant even if the crown is not fully pushed in.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 08:21:25 AM by tkyong1 »

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Mido Commander model 8419
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:19:16 AM »
You own one of this? Any actual pitures of your watch?

Offline tkyong1

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 08:24:25 AM »
Hi  ck77,

Yes, i owned one, its exactly the same with the photo number 1, exactly the same to every details, except my leather strap is not as new.. ;D
I am not good with digi camera, so borrow pictures from net.
I like the retro style...i always love vintage style watch such as Longines Silver Arrow, Espirit...etc..

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:31:17 AM »
cool, very vintage like  :thumbsup:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:12:47 AM »
I like how the crown sit almost flush with the case.

If i were to get 1 Mido that would be the model.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »
I believe with the common lug. you have a better choice of strap/s in the market..no?

Very antique looking watch, a style and look dates back to the 50's. Hesalite lens is more durable than the sapphire but prone to scratches

I was looking at this model way back before I got my zenith as a dress watch. But of course they are different class all together. Now I understand there is a solid gold pc for this model??

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?