Author Topic: Taiwan  (Read 13254 times)

Offline wslee

Taiwan
« on: May 03, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »
Ill be going to Taiwan in Oct,anyone can recommend me any nice place to visit/eat?Or lastly places where i can look for pre-owned/brand new watches.ehehehe

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: Taiwan
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »
Are you visiting Taipei only or also planning to go out of Taipei? How long?

For starters:

Taipei 101
Shilin Night Market
XiMenDing (young people place)
Beitou Hot Spa Hotels (Go for the spa package with lunch)
Fuhji Fish Market for great seafood.
Ilan for the scenery and total relaxation (spa) at either Royal Chaosi or Silks Place (but not cheap)
Jiufen (but go on weekdays as weekends is hell)
Yingge for pottery (you can also make it yourself and they will send it to you, via EMS)

As for watch shopping, lots, just bring cash as many don't accept card.

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »
i am actually planning to go taipei early next year.... maybe we can hav gtg in taiwan.... haha anyone wanna join???
Jacky Wong

Offline wslee

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »
Are you visiting Taipei only or also planning to go out of Taipei? How long?

For starters:

Taipei 101
Shilin Night Market
XiMenDing (young people place)
Beitou Hot Spa Hotels (Go for the spa package with lunch)
Fuhji Fish Market for great seafood.
Ilan for the scenery and total relaxation (spa) at either Royal Chaosi or Silks Place (but not cheap)
Jiufen (but go on weekdays as weekends is hell)
Yingge for pottery (you can also make it yourself and they will send it to you, via EMS)

As for watch shopping, lots, just bring cash as many don't accept card.

Ill be there for 7days. So i travel out of taipei 1st then only come back towards taipei the last few days of my trip.
My plan to travel to few places of taiwan
Any budget hotel u can recommend?how about the food?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:38:06 AM »
For food i think you just walk around any night market and there will be loads of choices.

One place not to be missed is the Taipei Palace Museum, can spend at least half day there.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:53:40 AM »
For food i think you just walk around any night market and there will be loads of choices.

One place not to be missed is the Taipei Palace Museum, can spend at least half day there.

yeah love the museum. every 3-4 months it;s a whole new museum
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 03:53:58 PM »
I am guessing it is the National Palace Museum we are talking about? If they change the exhibits everyday, it will take 20 years to finish showing everything. It is an awesome place and the restaurant next to the museum is just as awesome, also very expensive.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 04:33:04 PM »

Offline wslee

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »
I am guessing it is the National Palace Museum we are talking about? If they change the exhibits everyday, it will take 20 years to finish showing everything. It is an awesome place and the restaurant next to the museum is just as awesome, also very expensive.

Wow!!! If change the exhibits everyday also requires 20 years to finish showing everything...Definitely will go there since lots of ppl had been recommending this place

Offline DT

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 05:46:21 AM »
U must also go to danshui reachable by MRT.nice place to walk,shop and eat.

As for hotel, try to book a hotel near shi men ting. There are plenty to choose from and best for it's location. These hotels are rather small but overall ok if u are a budget traveller. Must try their "mian sian" type of soup noodle dish, there one famous one in shi men ting.

Also try to drop by "hong Lou" or red brick square near shi men ting fir a drink. It's a lively place at night. Good luck...

Offline wslee

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
U must also go to danshui reachable by MRT.nice place to walk,shop and eat.

As for hotel, try to book a hotel near shi men ting. There are plenty to choose from and best for it's location. These hotels are rather small but overall ok if u are a budget traveller. Must try their "mian sian" type of soup noodle dish, there one famous one in shi men ting.

Also try to drop by "hong Lou" or red brick square near shi men ting fir a drink. It's a lively place at night. Good luck...

Thanks DT

Are you based in Taiwan?I haven't really plan my trip yet. For OCT,will be it too crowded?

Offline wslee

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 11:00:30 PM »
Anyone recently went to Taiwan,mind to share their experience?
Thanks

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 06:23:20 AM »
Thanks

wslee,

I am still in Taiwan. What would you like to know?

Offline wslee

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 10:57:11 PM »
Thanks

wslee,

I am still in Taiwan. What would you like to know?

Hi Hobbit,
Just wondering whether you know any local tour guide in Tai Chung/or any driver

Thanks

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 02:04:38 PM »
wslee,

Sorry but can't really help you on the tour guide for Tai Chung. However getting around is not difficult.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 09:56:47 AM »
Very good information, timejazz.
So as a summary, for all 3 regions, the thing to enjoy is night markets, shopping and food delicacies. As one goes further south from Taipei, there are more sight seeing places to explore.

BTW, I thought Southern Taiwan is called Tainan, right?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 11:22:46 AM »
Taiwan is beautiful throughout actually. Each area has its own beauty.

In the north you have Taipei. It is a city much like KL, but there are many things to see. You have the beach in Baishawan beach and Fuji harbour (great seafood). You also have Danshuei and Bali. The fisherman wharf here is just awesome. The city itself is interesting with the many streets and night markets, the biggest being the Shilin night market. There are others, smaller one, but with different things to see.

You also have specific street catering to specific needs, like camera street, watch street, books street etc. You also have Xinmending. It is an area for young people with many interesting things to see.

An hour from Taipei you have Ilan. You will have to pass through the 13 km long tunnel to get there. Ilan and Suao (where the cold water spring is a constant 22 degrees, regardless winter or summer) are very beautiful. It is very flat and very different from Taipei and anywhere else in Taiwan.

Further east you have the Toroko Gorge. It is a must see place. Awesome. You also have Taidong and Hualien. You are into driving, the Suao Hualien drive is a drive you must do. It is long and dangerous, but the view is unbelievable.

In the west you have Hsinchu. The wind city. If you like kite flying this is a place to go. It is a beautiful place as well.

The next city is TaiChung. One of the places to visit is Gaomei wetlands. If you have kids, a place to visit. Lots of hermit crabs and fiddler crabs. Taichung is a new city, so the road are wider as compared to Taipei. Better planned as well (some say).

Moving south the next city is Tainan. The food here is better as compared to Taipei (some people say, personally, it taste about the same).

The next city is Kaohsiung. This is like the cowboy city in Taiwan. The people here are more friendly, but rougher. The people here speak more Taiwanese (hokkien). Driving here is an experience as many people here consider traffic lights a mere suggestion.

The last city is Kenting. The beaches here is just awesome, as is the aquarium. Summer is the best and worst time to visit Kenting. It is also the place where they shot the movie Cape No. 7.

In between you have Sun moon lake, Ali Shan Mountains, etc....

Offline wslee

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »

In the north you have Taipei. It is a city much like KL, but there are many things to see. You have the beach in Baishawan beach and Fuji harbour (great seafood). You also have Danshuei and Bali. The fisherman wharf here is just awesome. The city itself is interesting with the many streets and night markets, the biggest being the Shilin night market. There are others, smaller one, but with different things to see.

You also have specific street catering to specific needs, like camera street, watch street, books street etc. You also have Xinmending. It is an area for young people with many interesting things to see.

An hour from Taipei you have Ilan. You will have to pass through the 13 km long tunnel to get there. Ilan and Suao (where the cold water spring is a constant 22 degrees, regardless winter or summer) are very beautiful. It is very flat and very different from Taipei and anywhere else in Taiwan.

Further east you have the Toroko Gorge. It is a must see place. Awesome. You also have Taidong and Hualien. You are into driving, the Suao Hualien drive is a drive you must do. It is long and dangerous, but the view is unbelievable.

In the west you have Hsinchu. The wind city. If you like kite flying this is a place to go. It is a beautiful place as well.

The next city is TaiChung. One of the places to visit is Gaomei wetlands. If you have kids, a place to visit. Lots of hermit crabs and fiddler crabs. Taichung is a new city, so the road are wider as compared to Taipei. Better planned as well (some say).

Moving south the next city is Tainan. The food here is better as compared to Taipei (some people say, personally, it taste about the same).

The next city is Kaohsiung. This is like the cowboy city in Taiwan. The people here are more friendly, but rougher. The people here speak more Taiwanese (hokkien). Driving here is an experience as many people here consider traffic lights a mere suggestion.

The last city is Kenting. The beaches here is just awesome, as is the aquarium. Summer is the best and worst time to visit Kenting. It is also the place where they shot the movie Cape No. 7.

in my opinion, for taiwan it is typically break down into 3 parts:

1) northern - Taipei: night markets, shopping and food delicacies
2) central - Tai Chung: night markets, shopping, food delicacies and lots of sight seeing location
3) southern - Gao Xiong: night markets, shopping, food haven and its beaches is a nice place to visit during summer.

towards the end of the year, during Oct period onwards the weather will begin to turn cold as its winter. Its also a good time to shop for all the summer clothings as they will be clearing stocks. For sports brands such as Nike, Adidas etc Taiwan is a good place to stock them as their shoes and tees comes in various colors for each models. Mostly impt, they are cheap!

But for watches u can try 101 Building in Taipei where they house all the international brands. dun expect too much as its pricey......................

Thanks for the information,more or less my itinerary has confirmed.
2 nights in TaiChung and 4 nights in Taipei
Now will start to plan on food hunting.hahaha!!!!
Any must eat local food/shop in Taipei?plz recommend
 :Cheers:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 10:00:32 PM »

I am planning a trip to Taiwan with my wife and kids end of next year during school holidays and your post have all the info I needed...  :thumbsup:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 06:55:39 PM »

I am planning a trip to Taiwan with my wife and kids end of next year during school holidays and your post have all the info I needed...  :thumbsup:

hanz079,

Drop me a line when you come over next year. If I am still in Taiwan, we can meet up.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 07:04:17 PM »

hanz079,

Drop me a line when you come over next year. If I am still in Taiwan, we can meet up.
Sounds good... thanks  :thumbsup:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline wslee

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 10:50:12 PM »
Got back from Taiwan two weeks ago.I must the experience that i had in Taiwan was excellence,worth every single penny.People are so warm and friendly. Should visit there

Offline djkenishii

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 09:32:09 PM »
u gotta go to hua lien. the scenery are breathtaking!

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
Just got back from taiwan~ ^^Y  :thumbsup:

saw this at the high speed train station..  :o

malaysia should put PP at ERL~  :Laughing_on_floor:
"People who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it~ ^^Y"

Offline queenstory

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »
Hi, I have been to Taiwan, free and easy for 3 times in 2007, 2010, 2011. I love taiwan because the people there really helpful, nice and polite.

They really give us a good direction to our destination.

In January 2013, my relative follow trip where they bought ticket from Mxxx Fair. However they get poor service from the tour agent.
At Taiwan the whole tour people (customer) get poor service because the  customer  did not buy much things/goods every time they reach direct sale place.

The situation and service same as what we watch at TBV "Inbound Troubles - ??, ???!"

Sometimes we need to follow tour beauce mostly are old people or can't read chinese.