Author Topic: Military Vintage  (Read 20801 times)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Military Vintage
« on: May 02, 2011, 07:19:03 PM »
Thought I share some military vintage. All watches issued before 1983, so qualify right?

British Military.

CWC W10 1979 (Army requisition)

Hamilton Geneve 6bb 1974 (RAF requisition)

American Military.

Benrus DTU-2A/P 1969.

Hamilton GG-W-113 1982 (just qualified).

Offline danny

• Administrator
Re: Military Vintage
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 08:52:52 AM »
Really love the patina on these vintage watches.  :thumbsup:
What sizes are these?

:Cheers:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 03:54:42 PM »
The brits are 36 mm while the yanks are 34 mm.

Offline Arnoldlee

• All is well
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 04:09:11 PM »
is a kind of wrist watch available in the market which is run by body temperature?

Offline GlennTanChiaChiah

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:59:43 PM »

This was definitely around pre-83'.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 09:23:08 PM »
Got to love the Omega dial. Just like the W.W.W. type dial.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:24:17 AM »
Nice military vintage ;)

always wanted to get one but i worry the parts are not authentic and the dial too.. i saw some shop when i was in UK (portobello market), it's not cheap and due to my knowledge on the vintage is not as good (no good at all :D), i dare not buying one but now i kind a regret after seeing your photos  :P

Offline takashi78

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 06:37:49 AM »
Dont recall you have any Mil Spec pilot watches Hobbit?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
Dont recall you have any Mil Spec pilot watches Hobbit?

I have 3 actually. Well pilot related anyway.

The first is the Precista 6BB from 1984 (don't qualify as vintage as it is from 1984).

The second is the Hamilton Geneve 6bb from 1974.

Both these watches were requisition by the RAF. However there is no guarantee that the watches were issued to pilots or even to the RAF. It just means that thr RAF made a requisition for the watches. Other markings include W10 for the Army, 0552 for the Royal Navy and 0555 for the Royal Marines and 6B/ 6bb/ 6BB for the RAF. There are other codes on the case back like the NSN (NATO Supply Classification Number); 6645 for timekeeping instrument followed by the country codes:

00 United States
01 United States
11 NATO
12 Germany
13 Belgium
14 France
15 Italy
17 Netherlands
18 South Africa
21 Canada
22 Denmark
23 Greece
24 Iceland
25 Norway
26 Portugal
27 Turkey
28 Luxembourg
29 Argentina
30 Japan
31 Israel
32 Singapore
66 Australia
98 New Zealand
99 United Kingdom

Sorry don't know the code for Malaysia.

Last is the Hamilton GG-W-113 which were issued to the USAF during the Vietnam war.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 04:57:41 PM »
Nice military vintage ;)

always wanted to get one but i worry the parts are not authentic and the dial too.. i saw some shop when i was in UK (portobello market), it's not cheap and due to my knowledge on the vintage is not as good (no good at all :D), i dare not buying one but now i kind a regret after seeing your photos  :P

Yeah lots of watches in Portobello Road Market. You really need to know your stuff. I got a Pulsar Military issued W10 from there when I was there last year. If you are interested I can PM you a couple of places that can get you started. However it is important to note that it is a mine field out there with fakes and Franken watches. I have had my fair share and have since stopped collecting military pieces. I still would like to get an Omega W.W.W. or Longines W.W.W. but am not in a hurry.

Offline Manburg

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 02:21:17 PM »

Yeah lots of watches in Portobello Road Market. You really need to know your stuff. I got a Pulsar Military issued W10 from there when I was there last year. If you are interested I can PM you a couple of places that can get you started. However it is important to note that it is a mine field out there with fakes and Franken watches. I have had my fair share and have since stopped collecting military pieces. I still would like to get an Omega W.W.W. or Longines W.W.W. but am not in a hurry.

I did visit Portobello Market once or twice when I was in London, but dared not buy any of the used watches on offer.

Anyway, what started your interest in collecting military watches? Are you interested in general military in any way, or just military watches?

The other thing, is there any universally accepted rule of how old a watch must be before it could be considered vintage?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »
Manburg,

Actually what got me started is Panerai. I like the watch and brand and learnt a little about the history of the brand and its military links. I was told that even our Naval Officers in Malaysia were issued Panerai watches. They do have to return the watches once they leave the service. Don't what rank you have to be though.

The other reason is the industry I was in, aviation. So I started to read about pilot or aviator watches. Had a look at German issued watches and how readable the watches were. I even built a couple with the A and B dials. After that it was Stowa, LACO and finally IWC mk. XV. Found out about American issued Hamilton in the GG-W-113 and also the British issued Precista and CWC. All pretty affordable. I had the full set, covering Army to Navy, Marines to RAF. Only the RAF and 1 Army (Fat Case) remains. The rest have found good homes.

I even started looking at aviation related watches. Hence if you look at my collection, most of the watches have some links to the aviation industry.

As for what qualifies as vintage, I was told anything 25 years old and above is considered vintage.

Offline ry

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 03:46:59 PM »
   Hobbit ,the T in your military watches does that denote Tritium,similar to rolex military sub?

Offline Manburg

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Hobbit,

Thanks for the useful clarification. No wonder you've got a few of Panerais in your collection and your regard of them as the dearest to you.

Anyway, I'd be very surprised if our naval officers are really issued with Panerai because I know quite a lot of military officers (mainly armed forces and Navy) and none of the navy men, even those with a 1 or 2 Stars are issued with Panerai. I've also met quite a number of the Paskal commandos, and they're all only issued with Japanese made divers. But who knows, I might have not met the right people! ::) I'll check with them again and update, if possible.

Manburg,

Actually what got me started is Panerai. I like the watch and brand and learnt a little about the history of the brand and its military links. I was told that even our Naval Officers in Malaysia were issued Panerai watches. They do have to return the watches once they leave the service. Don't what rank you have to be though.

The other reason is the industry I was in, aviation. So I started to read about pilot or aviator watches. Had a look at German issued watches and how readable the watches were. I even built a couple with the A and B dials. After that it was Stowa, LACO and finally IWC mk. XV. Found out about American issued Hamilton in the GG-W-113 and also the British issued Precista and CWC. All pretty affordable. I had the full set, covering Army to Navy, Marines to RAF. Only the RAF and 1 Army (Fat Case) remains. The rest have found good homes.

I even started looking at aviation related watches. Hence if you look at my collection, most of the watches have some links to the aviation industry.

As for what qualifies as vintage, I was told anything 25 years old and above is considered vintage.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 07:59:10 PM »
I wonder what's the warehouse sergeant of our air force wears?

ofter all he have a "millions of ringgit" moonlight business as alleged by our government.  :Laughing_on_floor:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 08:39:33 PM »
   Hobbit ,the T in your military watches does that denote Tritium,similar to rolex military sub?

Yes you are correct.

Offline Manburg

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 08:02:28 AM »
Hobbit,

Thanks for the useful clarification. No wonder you've got a few of Panerais in your collection and your regard of them as the dearest to you.

Anyway, I'd be very surprised if our naval officers are really issued with Panerai because I know quite a lot of military officers (mainly armed forces and Navy) and none of the navy men, even those with a 1 or 2 Stars are issued with Panerai. I've also met quite a number of the Paskal commandos, and they're all only issued with Japanese made divers. But who knows, I might have not met the right people! ::) I'll check with them again and update, if possible.

As promised, I did ask around for some info, and these are the "intelligence" that I've got ;D:

1. The divers are issued with, surprise ... surprise ... G-Shocks, Promaster and Protrek. So we've got 2 Casios and 1 Citizen there.

No Panerai it seems, but I'm not surprised if that was (issuance of Panerai) the practice back then, because another naval officer who's stationed in the Hydro attested that when they're doing surveys in the 80's, they're issued with Rolexs. :o

2. One airforce pilot who used to pilot the Fokker transporting the VVIPs (PM, YDPA, etc.) said they're issued with Citizen Wingman. Another Citizen. :thumbsup:

Til then.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »
Manburg,

Good info. I wonder if they have to give the watches back once they leave the force. Anyway the info I got is from a friend who has a friend in Mindef (Naval) who has the Panerai.

Offline Manburg

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 01:16:35 PM »
Manburg,

Anyway the info I got is from a friend who has a friend in Mindef (Naval) who has the Panerai.

Well, I guess he must be one of the lucky ones! ;D

Well, the truth is, according to my brother who used to be the ADC to the Chief of Armed Forces, even the Chief doesn't get any Govt-issued watch. :Blue:

Good info. I wonder if they have to give the watches back once they leave the force

By right, yes. But similar to returning the boots or fatique uniforms after using it for umpteen years, the condition is of course, in subtle words, "not pristine". :D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 04:46:31 PM »
The truth is out there......  ;D

Offline khanwooi

• Anything, Just About Watch Knowledge
    • Vostok Russia Watches
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
hi all

have any of your come across Russia military watch,
Vostok komandirskie?

that really WWii watches build for russian komander,

it really tough and guess what can be run throught by a car, and it still running.

go search it
Khan Wooi

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »
Yes. In those days the famous one will be the Poljot and Vostok.

Offline bleulantern

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »

Offline bleulantern

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
Sorry don't really know how to post the pictures.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »
Hi,
I saw this gyms military, it seems too good to be true. Can some one authenticate it?
 http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/bleulantern/?action=view&current=20111109_130328.jpg
http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g426/bleulantern/?action=view&current=20111109_125943.jpg

Looks ok at a glance, but will need better pictures. Things to look out for:

1. Dust cover, is it there?
2. The markings on the inside of the case back must be the same as the outside (serial number etc)
3. The sub dial must be lower than the dial.

All the best with the hunt.