Author Topic: The finer things  (Read 22729 times)

Offline lanatir

The finer things
« on: April 27, 2011, 11:32:55 AM »
Watch collectors tend to appreciate finely made things as they grow along with their collection. What are your other vices?

I have developed a deep fondness for fountain pens, pipes, suits/tailored clothes and especially shoes.
Regards
Kelvin

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Re: The finer things
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 11:41:44 AM »
women?  :Laughing_on_floor:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline lanatir

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »
Regards
Kelvin

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
As much as i like suits my job and 99.99% occasion doesnt call for a suit.
Although when the time comes for me to get married i would really like a finely made Armani.

Hmmm i am creating one post on shoes i think that would create some interesting discussions.

Offline lanatir

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »
an odd jacket or blazer can always work if you tend to go for many events or just want to have a good evening out. linen and cotton wear helps a lot!

Regards
Kelvin

Offline takashi78

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »
I do have 2, just dont wear them often, not custom so now i feel the fitting and look not as i like.

Offline peanut

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »
Many years back, I used to into those Armani, Ferragamo, Ermenegildo Zegna, Versace stuff but now i am not.  I generally own a lot of gadgets (from Specialized bicycle, PS3, Wii, almost a complete set of Apple products, mobile phones from iphones to BB, etc).  I also own a dry box full of Canon cameras (1D MK IV and 5D MKII) and L lenses.  I also like to listen to my music on my Naim system (CD player, pre and power amps and speakers).  I love live performance and have seen many of the broadway and symphonies.  I enjoy visting museums and have seen most of the major paintings in the world (Mona Lisa, Picasso's Guernica, The Last Supper,  Van Gogh's Starry Night and others, Monet's Waterlilies, etc).  I also I also like cars but unfortunately we can only afford Bas Mini Wilayah! 

After I spent most of my money on the above, I use the leftover to spend on traveling and fine dining.  No wonder I am always poor!  ;D

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 08:19:09 AM »
Many years back, I used to into those Armani, Ferragamo, Ermenegildo Zegna, Versace stuff but now i am not.  I generally own a lot of gadgets (from Specialized bicycle, PS3, Wii, almost a complete set of Apple products, mobile phones from iphones to BB, etc).  I also own a dry box full of Canon cameras (1D MK IV and 5D MKII) and L lenses.  I also like to listen to my music on my Naim system (CD player, pre and power amps and speakers).  I love live performance and have seen many of the broadway and symphonies.  I enjoy visting museums and have seen most of the major paintings in the world (Mona Lisa, Picasso's Guernica, The Last Supper,  Van Gogh's Starry Night and others, Monet's Waterlilies, etc).  I also I also like cars but unfortunately we can only afford Bas Mini Wilayah! 

After I spent most of my money on the above, I use the leftover to spend on traveling and fine dining.  No wonder I am always poor!  ;D

Bro, it is a bless to have such experience and possess such fine things. I am still in the journey to chase all the things that you have mentioned...My only luxury expenses are the watches, like you after spending those, become poor again  :Mad:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 11:46:16 AM »
I would say, beside watches (material), the next best things in life (at least for me) is travelling and good food.

What say ya?.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 12:31:22 PM »
For me... I enjoy playing with my kids... good food... good company... and occasionally travel during school holidays if budget permits.
I also love video games as my Queen at home insist not going out too much coz I tend to splurge on booze and chicks...  :laugh:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline peanut

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 12:52:01 PM »
It seems like enjoying good food runs in every Malaysian's blood!  It is no wonder we have one of the highest rate of high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol in the world.  :D

Offline peanut

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
Phew,  ................ incredible experience you have there, bro peanut!
Been to Paris a few times years ago, reached the Louvre or Eiffel Tower, seen the horrendous long q, turned round & walked elsewhere! Next year, must make an effort to q up patiently. :HammerHead:
Enjoy the museum, esp the British Museum & the British Natural History Museum. Amazing collection of stuffs they'd robbed from from China, India & Egypt. :o
I have been to Paris a few times but only went up the Eiffle tower once - during the winter! Paris and London have some of the best museums in the world. In Paris, besides the Lourve, Musee D'Orsay is actually my favorite as it is not big and has a lot of Impressionist paintings. Musee National Picasso is small but charming. In London, besides the one you mentioned Tate Modern is another great modern art museum.

If you like arts and museums, New York, Washington DC and Florence, Italy are great. I remember one time I went to Milan to see The Last Supper (and buy Prada for mrs) !
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:22:07 PM by peanut »

Offline Fairy Oly

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 12:42:38 PM »
well for me, best thing for me always FOOD and traveling~
went to mount KK, water rafting, surfing, diving.. life experiences^^

and ofcause, spending time with love one. all problems and headache gone when hugging love one *luv*
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »
Peanut: I've also done most of what you have and owe most of what you have. Surprising.

My bike is a felt z5 though used to own a trek ;) cycling is my newest interest which keeps me healthy and main transportation ;)

Even our adventure is almost similar. I travelled to the UK, Spain, Italy and most recently NYC looking for Dali. I also have a v strong liking to van gogh for which I done amsterdam, Paris, NYC to find. It is truly a very enjoyable hobby ;)

Watches gives me the same pleasure and it is v obvious from the art adventure tha traveling comes with it ;)
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »
I am not up to that level in finer things yet. Travelling for me is a little burdensome as i do not like to be confine to my seat for hours on end. The finest things in life for me are still just watches.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline peanut

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »
I have not visited this forum for a while due to new job plus renovating my house!  It is interesting to know there are people in here (if you are in Malaysia) that shares the same interest that I have.  I am sure there are a lot of people owns things that are more, better than me but as far as travel, musuems, sports, musics these are harder to find people that have in common with me.

BTW, now I am trying to read the Complete Letters of Van Gogh.  We all know Van Gogh as an incredible artist.  However, his letters (most to his brother Theo) was an art by its own right!  I also enjoy theater and symphonies (also I dont even play them but my kids all do).  Few weeks ago, I just brought the entire family to go to Singapore Marina Bay Sands to watch the Lion King show.  This was the 2nd time I watch it.  The first time was in NY during the first 2 months of the premier of the show many many years ago. 

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 12:10:44 PM »
peanut: scary, i have read that book in 2000 when i was in uni :) that made me travel looking for the van gogh works
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »
get a room you two...  :mooning:

Offline peanut

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »
get a room you two...  :mooning:
What an a$$

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 06:20:29 PM »
omnipotent: must not personal mate

just a discussion :)

:Cheers:
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 09:32:55 PM »
none intended...i'm sure peanut is just referring to the emoticon  ;D

Offline peanut

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 09:56:29 AM »
Sifu peanut & Sid Vicious, I really envy both of you 2 successfull guys. Can enjoyed so much luxuries in life. Pls do share some of your experience & pics to make me work harder :thumbsup:  Hope one day can share you guys achievement with my family :Praying:
Actually, there is nothing to be envious about. We all have our own definition of success. I am just merely trying to pursue things that make me happy. I am just thankful that I am blessed with the opportunity to do some of these.

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
Brother I will try to post some of the pics in various segments of this forum where relevant :)

Sir Winston Churchill

Offline birdtung

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »
I like audionote sound system

Offline swleong

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
I'm lately into collectible designer chair, got an EMECO NAVY CHAIR not long ago and eying on EAMES LOUNGE CHAIR.