Author Topic: Come and share your Vintage watches  (Read 104138 times)

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
Come and share your Vintage watches
« on: April 25, 2011, 08:21:53 AM »
Just saw this new opening thread in the morning....and so tempting to start  :Laughing_on_floor:...well that is just me...

I dont own the Vintage watch, but Father did, and the watch is hiding somewhere, I know it is Citizen, once I found it, I will put up the photo... :thumbsup:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline siodee

Re: Come and share your Vintage watches
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:22:57 AM »
Forgot...thanks Mod for the great job   :thumbsup:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline ry

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:17:08 PM »
Great,new section for vintages.I am eagerly waiting for my first Vintage Rolex.Will post it here once i get it.Thanks mods for this addition.

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:22:14 PM »
This is the only vintage watch in my collection, an old Omega Geneve, dating from the late 1960's or early 1970's.
Cost me a bomb when I sent it to Omega for servicing.

:Cheers:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:33:10 PM »
One of my favourite watches of all time, the Tudor Snowflake. The one I have is the reference 94110. The Snowflake reference:

7016 - Blue or black dial, no date version (1968 to 1975)
7021 - Blue or black dial, date version (1968 to 1975)
Early 7016/ 7021 did not have the Snowflake dial but the reference 7928 Rose dial with the 4 lines on the bottom half of the dial.

9401/0 - Blue or black dial, no date version (1975 to 1976)
9411/0 - Blue or black dial, date version (1975 to 1976)
94010 - No date version. Snowflake design between 1976 to 1980. Subsequently, Triangle markered dial (1980 to 1983)
94110 - Date version. Snowflake design between 1976 to 1980. Subsequently, Triangle markered dial (1980 to 1983)

The dream is to pick up a 94010 MN (Marine Nationale Issued) version issued to the French Navy. Or even better a Military issued MN 7016 Snowflake.

My Snowflake before it got its spa treatment at RSC.

After.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:40:53 PM »
GMT Master from the 60's. Had a rebuild in the 80's and a visit to RSC once every 5 years. Now 'retired'.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 12:45:47 PM »
GMT Master from the 60's. Had a rebuild in the 80's and a visit to RSC once every 5 years. Now 'retired'.

nice pepsi  :thumbsup: one of my favourite.

Offline ry

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »
  Hobbit very nicely done.Is this at KL RSC?That s the worry for vintages,finding capable service and reasonable cost.Being a vintage owner i guess you ll be more careful with the watch,but the internals are beyond your control.Only hope that it requires service and not needing major parts to be replaced,where you got to source the original parts.

Again Hobbit a very nice 1675,one which i intend to get in near future.Why retire?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:48:00 PM by ry »

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 01:04:13 PM »

nice pepsi  :thumbsup: one of my favourite.

wow..... one of my favourite too.  :thumbsup:.. really envy u la..
Jacky Wong

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 01:46:33 PM »
 Hobbit very nicely done.Is this at KL RSC?That s the worry for vintages,finding capable service and reasonable cost.Being a vintage owner i guess you ll be more careful with the watch,but the internals are beyond your control.Only hope that it requires service and not needing major parts to be replaced,where you got to source the original parts.

Again Hobbit a very nice 1675,one which i intend to get in near future.Why retire?

The Tudor was done up by RSC Taiwan. The GMT Master was done by RSC Malaysia. In both case, you have to tell them what you want done and what not to be changed. This however can have an impact on the service warranty. For example, I considered not changing the stem tube and crown on the Tudor. RSC would not warranty the water resistance of the Tudor to its rated depth. Since I want to use the Tudor (time to time), I decided to have the parts changed to the modern triple-lock version. This have an impact on the value of the watch as purist consider the modern triple-lock crown and stem tube as opposed to the old triple-lock version not 'original'. Since I don't intend to sell the watch, it does not matter.

The 1675 is 'retired' as it is no longer in the loop of watches I wear. It now sits in my watch box.

jacky8888 and ck77,

Thank you.

Offline siodee

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
Wow, send to RSC in Taiwan, you are really a truly watch lover  :thumbsup: I like both, but I must say GMT is my favorite, no offense Tudor..

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »
Hi Hobbit,
I really love the vintage look of the GMT with the nice patina on the markers and hands, not to mention the brightly colored bezel.  :thumbsup:
By the way, is the watch having the original bezel, or has it been replaced by the RSC?

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »

Powered by allmight L5100...

Too bad its away from me now  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »
Hi Hobbit,
I really love the vintage look of the GMT with the nice patina on the markers and hands, not to mention the brightly colored bezel.  :thumbsup:
By the way, is the watch having the original bezel, or has it been replaced by the RSC?

The Rolex has had a very full life with the former owner. He got the watch in the early 60's from a guy who bought it in Christmas Island. The guy was a sailor. Funny huh buying a GMT Master when you are a sailor. Anyway the guy was in Malaysia and he lost badly in gambling and needed money. The second owner bought the watch for a princely sum of rm300. He borrowed the money from my godfather and repaid the loan over 10 months.

The watch never left the new owners hand. This guy was a labourer in the true sense of the word. The watch went through a lot. To give you an idea, it went through 3 bracelets. Yeah, we all know how poor the Rolex bracelets are, but still 3?

Anyway in the early 80's, the watch was sent to Rolex RSC in Kuala Lumpur for en estimate on how much it would cost to 'repair' the watch. Rolex had a look and suggested it was in a bad shape. A total rebuild was required. The bezel insert was replaced, the case was replaced with a service case, the case back was replaced. Basically a new watch but still with the old heart as the movement was deemed in great shape. Total cost of all these was rm1,600. I have all the paper trail since the watch was purchased in 1964. I also have all the bracelets.

Since that time, the watch has been to RSC once every 5 years. The watch is well known in RSC Malaysia. No parts have been changed since other then the crystal, crown and stem tube. The last service was in RSC Taiwan, last year.

Offline Cotsner

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »
Yes...was once trying to look for a rolex 6694-all silver color! I guess this is considered a vintage masterpiece right?! Put it on my wrist once and i guess it fits well for some formal occasion! Cheers!

Offline GlennTanChiaChiah

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 06:06:43 PM »
This piece needs no further introduction.

Thanks pa.

Offline siodee

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 07:31:19 AM »
Hi gigiplastic, what happen to your Omega? got stolen?

Hobbit, your vintage story is currently the champ la...good track of trail.. :thumbsup:

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 07:50:27 AM »
The Rolex has had a very full life with the former owner. He got the watch in the early 60's from a guy who bought it in Christmas Island. The guy was a sailor. Funny huh buying a GMT Master when you are a sailor. Anyway the guy was in Malaysia and he lost badly in gambling and needed money. The second owner bought the watch for a princely sum of rm300. He borrowed the money from my godfather and repaid the loan over 10 months.

The watch never left the new owners hand. This guy was a labourer in the true sense of the word. The watch went through a lot. To give you an idea, it went through 3 bracelets. Yeah, we all know how poor the Rolex bracelets are, but still 3?

Anyway in the early 80's, the watch was sent to Rolex RSC in Kuala Lumpur for en estimate on how much it would cost to 'repair' the watch. Rolex had a look and suggested it was in a bad shape. A total rebuild was required. The bezel insert was replaced, the case was replaced with a service case, the case back was replaced. Basically a new watch but still with the old heart as the movement was deemed in great shape. Total cost of all these was rm1,600. I have all the paper trail since the watch was purchased in 1964. I also have all the bracelets.

Since that time, the watch has been to RSC once every 5 years. The watch is well known in RSC Malaysia. No parts have been changed since other then the crystal, crown and stem tube. The last service was in RSC Taiwan, last year.

Wow. A great history to accompany a great watch. What more can you ask for? This piece is priceless.  :thumbsup:

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 03:13:25 PM »
Hi gigiplastic, what happen to your Omega? got stolen?

Hobbit, your vintage story is currently the champ la...good track of trail.. :thumbsup:

the watch currently in Malaysia while i am now in another country for few years.  :'(

Offline siodee

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »
I see, well you can always find another mistress in oversea, this one is vintage, need to rest at home  :thumbsup:

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 09:12:28 PM »
I see, well you can always find another mistress in oversea, this one is vintage, need to rest at home  :thumbsup:

My "wife" will kill me  :mooning:

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 07:05:08 AM »
My recently acquisition; 6694. Serial no. 803xxxx. Circa 1983. All 100% original

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 07:18:35 AM »
Just make it on time to be considered vintage hehe.
Bracelet looks to still be in good condition.

1120pm your date wheel already start to change eh.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 07:55:11 AM »
My recently acquisition; 6694. Serial no. 803xxxx. Circa 1983. All 100% original

dc

Nice, makes me want to get one as well. Perhaps one with Roman hour index.

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 09:19:10 AM »

dc

Very nice vintage Rollie. Congrats David.  :thumbsup: