Author Topic: A beginner with RM5,000. What's the recommended watch?  (Read 20795 times)

Offline fred1234

A beginner with RM5,000. What's the recommended watch?
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:18:50 PM »
Hi guys, I'm a beginner watch enthusiast and I'm wearing a Casio Edifice right now, ready to jump on to big brands. I have about RM5K to splurge and I'm looking at watches at similar prices from Tag Heuer, Oris, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions at this price range?

Thanks in advance.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: A beginner with RM5,000. What's the recommended watch?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »
Bro,

What sings to you? Any watch in mind? What brands sings to you? TAG Heuer? Oris? Longines? Quartz? Mechanical? In terms of design, what are you into, diver, aviation, drivers, sports, dress? New or pre-loved?

Offline fred1234

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:41:41 PM »
Bro,

What sings to you? Any watch in mind? What brands sings to you? TAG Heuer? Oris? Longines? Quartz? Mechanical? In terms of design, what are you into, diver, aviation, drivers, sports, dress? New or pre-loved?
I'd really like to hear senior forumer's preference when they bought their first watch.

But if you ask me. I'd really like Omega watches especially the Seamaster range and the Tag Heuer Carrera 1887. Movement wise, I'd prefer an automatic with chronograph functionality. In terms of designs I'd really have no preferences; although I tend to think that aviation and diver watches looks good most of the time. Of course when it comes to buying watches, new is prefered lah. :)

Come to think of it, my preferences listed up there definitely need more than RM5,000 :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:45:54 PM by fred1234 »

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:34:01 PM »
Ball perhaps?
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
sinn u1, 103
damasko da46 /47
ball engineer hydrocarbon...

all around rm5k....

Offline Maverick27

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:20:16 PM »
Ball engineer master II aviator, 46mm, definitely!!  :thumbsup:

Offline maximillian

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 11:06:23 PM »
maybe a hamilton jazzmaster chrono ?its about 3.7k..very nice quality :D

musdus vult decipi ergo decipiatur.veritatem dies aperit.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:37:43 AM »
If you check the MWF survey, Tag is not in the rank at all.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Go with Ball, something different, and best if you in the cinema, the thing will grow in the dark  :Dancing_banana:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 01:11:39 PM »
Bro,

I'd really like to hear senior forumer's preference when they bought their first watch.

But if you ask me. I'd really like Omega watches especially the Seamaster range and the Tag Heuer Carrera 1887. Movement wise, I'd prefer an automatic with chronograph functionality. In terms of designs I'd really have no preferences; although I tend to think that aviation and diver watches looks good most of the time. Of course when it comes to buying watches, new is prefered lah. :)

Come to think of it, my preferences listed up there definitely need more than RM5,000 :D

bro...since you said `I really like...'  maybe just saved a little bit more and follow your heart and make the jump for Seamaster or Carrera.  But if you really want one badly now with that budget, i'll suggest look closely at Sinn....
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »
Bro,

Go with what is in your heart. Strangely my first 'real and proper' watch was an Omega Seamaster Chrono.

Offline blurrycloud

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »
Best way is to google for online watch shops, and find/filter watces that looks nice, according to your budget

For your first watch, i would definately recommend

Stainless steel / Titanium
Similar metal strap (not leather)
Swiss made
Automatic

Offline Broleo

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »
1)preowned omegas, if you look hard enough
2) sinn u1

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 04:03:12 PM »
Just buy 1 first, then later you will buy more, watch is like an art..some you collect, some you will sell after got boring with them...If you buy watch like married a wife, then that is really tough since can only 1 chance  :o

P/S : it is always good to have some mistress, I mean the watches :Laughing_on_floor:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline fred1234

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
Hi guys,

Appreciate the inputs from some of the seniors here.

I've looked at the survey and yes surprisingly, Tag Heuer isn't really that famous among beginner buyers. Errie enough, even my boss suggested that for RM5K, might as well go for Ball instead of TH.

The Hamilton posted by maximillian is exactly what the design that I look prefer. Too bad it's leather strap and I don't really fancy leather strap as I sweat a lot.

Offline maximillian

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 08:13:34 PM »
hey..the jazzmaster chrono has a bracelet model.i think its about 4k.fantastic price to quality ratio :)

Offline takashi78

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 09:53:08 PM »
Who cares if its famous or not, buy what you like.

Offline blurrycloud

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 10:09:55 PM »
that jazzmaster looks exactly like the tag heuer carrera, or is it the other way around?

Offline maximillian

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 10:27:37 PM »
that jazzmaster looks exactly like the tag heuer carrera, or is it the other way around?

does it look similar?yes.and so does many other watches over the span of 150 years ago.is it exactly the same?no..most watch brands take cues from timeless design elements and from other brands as inspiration.they mix it up a bit to create something new but retain the classic evergreen look of some watches  :Dancing_banana: for example,rolex sub looks similar to blancpain fifty fathoms ,and so forth.the discussion could be endless!hehe
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:30:13 PM by maximillian »

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 10:36:21 PM »

does it look similar?yes.and so does many other watches over the span of 150 years ago.is it exactly the same?no..most watch brands take cues from timeless design elements and from other brands as inspiration.they mix it up a bit to create something new but retain the classic evergreen look of some watches  :Dancing_banana: for example,rolex sub looks similar to blancpain fifty fathoms ,and so forth.the discussion could be endless!hehe

eh...A Sub hardly looks the same as a Blancpain FF  ???

unless you are saying an Invicta Sub looks like a Sub  :Laughing_on_floor:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline maximillian

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 10:55:56 PM »
of course, newer models have been altered a bit.i was referring to this :

they look similar.. :Cheers:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 01:30:43 AM »
the great chicken and egg debates continues....  :Laughing_on_floor:

which comes first... FF or Sub?  :Laughing_on_floor:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline maximillian

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 09:20:47 AM »
if im not mistaken,the FF above is issued in 1952 whilst the rolex below it is in 1953 which is a prototype back then.guess the FF comes first.however if im not mistaken diving watches of that era look more or less alike

Offline ivanswk

• Res ipsa loquitur :P
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 10:01:28 AM »
spilt the 5k, buy 2 watch  ;D
get one black and one white dial. :thumbsup:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 11:53:49 AM »
of course, newer models have been altered a bit.i was referring to this :

they look similar.. :Cheers:

The FF came out in 1953 and was the brain child of two French Naval Officers, Captain Robert “Bob” Maloubier and Lieutenant Claude Riffaud. The Rolex, reference 6200 (the Rolex in the photo) also came out in 1953 and Jacques Cousteau assisted in the design of the watch. Mr. Cousteau was also a French Naval Officer. So I guess the design is the favoured design of the French Navy?

Offline Manburg

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »

I've looked at the survey and yes surprisingly, Tag Heuer isn't really that famous among beginner buyers.

To be honest, you might be surprised to be told that it is the other way around. Tag might be famous among beginner buyers, but not so for the seasoned players, except maybe the Monaco line.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY