Author Topic: Tag Heuer Carrera Featuring Caliber 1887 – A Watch Review  (Read 25092 times)

Offline danny

• Administrator
Tag Heuer Carrera Featuring Caliber 1887 – A Watch Review
« on: March 16, 2011, 06:02:35 PM »

IMG_0616_monochrome

Introduction:

In 2010 Tag Heuer celebrated the 150th anniversary of its founding by releasing a new in-house manufactured chronograph movement called Caliber 1887. It was first officially announced to great fanfare at Basel World 2010.

The design of the Caliber 1887 is based on IP (TC78) licensed from Seiko instruments Inc. of Japan. The same design has been used in Seiko’s 6S37 chronograph movement found in Seiko's Phoenix Brightz and Flightmaster chronographs.

Apparently one of the reasons this particular Seiko design was chosen is because of its use of the oscillating pinion, a technology first patented by Edouard Heuer in 1887, hence the name of the caliber.

IMG_0694-monochrome

IMG_0695-monochrome

Awards:

Tag Heuer Caliber 1887 won the prestigious “La Petite Aiguille” (Small seconds hand ) for Best Watch of the Year Award (under $5000 category) at the 2010 Grand Prix de l'Horlogerie de Genève.

IMG_0639-monochrome

Movement:

Caliber 1887 is a fully integrated automatic chorongraph movement. Like all high quality chronographs it is equipped with a column wheel which works in tandem with the oscillating pinion to coordinate the start/stop/reset functions. In the case of the Caliber 1887, the oscillating pinion design allows the chronograph function to start within 2/1000th of a second.

The movement is equipped with a bi-directional winding mechanism with double catch lever which Tag Heuer has christened H.E.R. for High Efficiency Rewinder. It is claimed to have 30% higher winding efficiency compared to other traditional winding systems. Seiko enthusiasts will recognise it as the same "Magic Lever" automatic winding system found in Seiko automatic watches.

True to its Swiss heritage, Caliber 1887 is equipped with Glucydur balance and Nivarox hairspring. A fine adjustment system has been incorporated featuring the eccentric adjustment screw.

The decorations and finishing on the movement is what one would expect from a high quality Swiss Made movement featuring Cotes de Geneve, perlage, edge finishing executed to high Swiss standards. The rotor has been "skeletonized" to allow a clearer view of the nicely decorated movement. The blued column wheel is an especially appealing feature.

Technical Specifications:

• Frequency : 28,800 vibrations/ hr
  • Power Reserve : 50 hours (40 hours with chronograph engaged)
  • 39 Jewels
  • Oscillating Pinion
  • Column Wheel
  • High Efficiency Rewinding (“HER”) system
  • 12-6-9 dial layout
  • Diameter : 29.3mm
  • Thickness : 7.13mm
  • Accuracy : +/- 10secs per day

IMG_0674-monochrome

Case:

The watch case measures 41.0 mm in diameter. The thin polished bezel gives the impression that the watch is larger than it's 41 mm diameter. The case thickness is 15.5 mm allowing the watch to fit rather comfortably inside most shirt cuffs. Lengthwise it measures 49.5 mm (lug end to lug end). The case is made of polished stainless steel and has a water resistance rating of 100m.

Watch Specifications:

• Reference : CAR2110.BA0720
  • Case -Steel
  • Dial : black
  • Bracelet -Steel (5-row alternate fine-brushed and polished steel bracelet)
  • Buckle : Deployant Buckle
  • Movement -Automatic Chronograph Caliber 1887
  • Diameter : 41.00 mm
  • Thickness : 15.5mm
  • Length : 49.5mm lug to lug
  • Lug size : 20mm
  • Caliber : 1887
  • Power reserve : 50 Hours
  • Vibration : 28.800 /h
  • Glass : Domed Sapphire crystal with double sided anti-reflective coating
  • Waterproof : 100 m
  • Functions : Chronograph, Date, Subsidiary Seconds

IMG_0642-monochrome

Dial:

The dial is matt black with 12 highly polished applied hour markers. Surrounding the main dial is the chapter ring lined with minute markers and 1/4 second markers. At the 12 o'clock position is the chronograph minute counter sub-dial (30 minutes totalizer function). At the 6 o'clock position is the chronograph hour counter sub-dial (12 hour totalizer function). Each of these sub-dials is slightly recessed and is lined with a white silvery border with sub-indices. A small unframed date window is located inside the 12 hour counter sub-dial. At the nine o'clock position is the small running seconds. At the 3 o'clock position is the Tag Heuer insignia and the "Carrera" label.

IMG_0606-monochrome

Dial Layout:

• 12 o'clock : 30 minute counter
  • 6 o'clock : 12 hour counter
  • 6 o'clock : Date indicator
  • 9 o'clock : Subsidiary seconds

IMG_0610-monochrome

Hands:

The hour and minute hands are made from highly polished stainless steel and is shaped in what is traditionally known as matchstick style. The chronograph seconds hand is needle shaped and also highly polished. The hour and minute hands are provided with thin luminescent markers for improved low light legibility.

IMG_0661-monochrome

Crown:

The crown is knurled which provides a nice grip, an important point for a hand wind operation. It is signed with the Tag Heuer insignia.

IMG_0626_monochrome

Crystal:

The watch comes with scratch resistant sapphire crystal on the front and back. The front sapphire crystal is curved and coated with Anti reflective layers on both sides of the crystal.

Case back:

The watch is equipped with a screwed-in sapphire crystal display back which provides a clear view of the beautifully decorated Caliber 1887.

Bracelet:

The metal bracelet is Tag Heuer's signature 5-row alternate fine-brushed and polished steel design found in the Carrera product line. The bracelet is solidly constructed with solid end links, yet very comfortable to wear. The buckle is the deployant type with safety push buttons and is signed with the Tag Heuer insignia. A major drawback to the bracelet design is the use of friction pins. One would expect a Swiss watch in this price range to be provided with the more user friendly threaded link pins.

IMG_0654-monochrome

IMG_0663-monochrome2

IMG_0668-edited

Lugs:

The lugs are highly polished with a smooth finish with no sharp edges. The lug width accommodate 20 mm size straps which are attached using spring bars.

Conclusion:

With the new Carrera Caliber 1887, Tag Heuer has achieved the right combination of performance and value unmatched in the Swiss watch industry. It offers a well designed, robust and reliable automatic column wheel chronograph movement manufactured in Switzerland, at a very attractive price point. One will be hard pressed indeed to find an in-house manufactured, fully integrated chronograph with column wheel from another Swiss brand at the same price level.

Resources:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: Tag Heuer Carrera Featuring Caliber 1887 – A Watch Review
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:32:39 PM »
Nice review and excellent pics of the watch!!  :thumbsup:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline ykl

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:49:02 PM »
beautiful watch and very nice picture  :thumbsup:
Omega PO2500
Seiko Chronograph
G-shock

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 08:30:39 PM »
Very detailed review and nice pictorial  :thumbsup:
Very well build and excellent 3D effect on the dial due to the recessed chrono counters.
 :Cheers:

Offline lanatir

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:49:43 PM »
Nicely shot Danny. Good stuff!  :)
Regards
Kelvin

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »
wow.... this review is poison

seiko brightz phoenix not using newer 8r28 movement?

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 05:24:09 AM »
Thanks guys, for the kind words.
Glad you liked the review.

Chris,
A few of the Seiko Brightz Phoenix are equipped with the 6S37, including the SAGH007 & 009 with the Power Reserve Indicator.

Offline kltime

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 08:45:51 AM »

It offers a well designed, robust and reliable automatic column wheel chronograph movement manufactured in Switzerland, at a very attractive price point. One will be hard pressed indeed to find an in-house manufactured, fully integrated chronograph with column wheel from another Swiss brand at the same price level.</p>

Agree that watch is a looker .Probably Tag was able to keep the price at the level bcos they didn't have to re-invent the wheel or start from scratch to design/manufacture the movement since it is licensed from Seiko. I m not familiar with the pricing but hw is it comparable to Zenith for example?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 12:34:28 PM »
For sure if Tag really did a "in house" chrono movt that price i think would have easily double.
I for one say its nothing wrong with a proven movt especially coming from Seiko.

Danny your photography skills improve with each post like this!

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 10:23:36 PM »
Agree that watch is a looker .Probably Tag was able to keep the price at the level bcos they didn't have to re-invent the wheel or start from scratch to design/manufacture the movement since it is licensed from Seiko. I m not familiar with the pricing but hw is it comparable to Zenith for example?

It's true that Tag saved quite a bit of time by licensing the IP from SII. However it still took them 3-4 years to re-engineer and fully industrialize the movement, not to mention the 25 million Swiss Franc investment in new production facilities for this new caliber. So developing the Caliber 1887 was not exactly a walk in the park for Tag.

This particular model is currently retailing for RM14,200, so it's quite a bit more affordable compared to the Zenith El Primero.

Danny your photography skills improve with each post like this!

It's not so much my photography skills but the much improved camera from Canon which is doing wonders.  :D

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 04:16:22 PM »
Danny,

I am slow again here... Not bad for a tag even tho I am not a fan of it. Really like the seiko part of the watch...  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »
Excellent review and photos ;)

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 07:38:04 AM »
Danny,

I am slow again here... Not bad for a tag even tho I am not a fan of it. Really like the seiko part of the watch...  :Laughing_on_floor:

Hi Abel,
Glad that you can still find the time to lepak on the forum but shouldn't you be studying?  ;D

Excellent review and photos ;)

Thanks Scott. How are you liking the white dialled version? Found a suitable strap for it yet?

Offline lcncloud9

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 12:24:34 AM »
excellent review, although i'm not big fan of Tag heuer, the watch is simple and nice! thanks for sharing with us!

Offline bOcy

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 01:18:44 AM »
good review, lets hope for affordable mikrotimer/mikrograph soon

Offline mdazri89

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 10:19:10 PM »
great review for a great watch! :thumbsup:

Offline KennyKoo

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »
nice shots  :thumbsup:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 11:06:28 AM »
A brown leather strap would make it look pretty slick!
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline CYMAboy

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 01:34:43 AM »
One of mine dream watch...

Offline hippiehippy

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 07:36:26 PM »
One of mine dream watch...

same here  :Praying:

Offline zambuana2008

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »
A very nice watch .......

Offline hotshothunk

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 01:13:15 PM »
like this watch a lot. wish there's a bigger diameter version

Offline DNA2

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »
Ex-ordinary Carrera! And even ex-ordinary shooting skill.

TAG always give me a metal solid feel, but this Carrera is simple and elegant. Added to wish list.

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 02:27:58 PM »
Ex-ordinary Carrera! And even ex-ordinary shooting skill.

TAG always give me a metal solid feel, but this Carrera is simple and elegant. Added to wish list.

Thanks. Modern DLSRs make shooting a lot easier these days.
Glad you added this watch to your wish list, which I'm sure is getting longer as time goes on.

Offline DNA2

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 09:23:47 PM »
Thanks. Modern DLSRs make shooting a lot easier these days.
Glad you added this watch to your wish list, which I'm sure is getting longer as time goes on.

yes, my wife classify this as a poison forum too!