Author Topic: Good value buy at current market around RM10-30k  (Read 2828 times)

Offline watchnerd

Good value buy at current market around RM10-30k
« on: June 06, 2023, 12:42:29 AM »
Hey guys, in your opinion, what is a good value buy at the current market? As in which watches do you recommend buying used/second hand that has lost depreciated greatly (around 45-65%) and you think is a good buy (around RM10-30k)?

I personally came across a used

1. Breitling Navitimer 41 with the ETA7750 base around RM15k (2023 registered date, retail is RM28k)
2. Omega Aqua Terra 38mm around RM14k (2021 registered date, retail is RM25k)
3. Bell & Ross BR05 with rubber for RM10k (2022 registered date, retail is RM19k)
4. Zenith Chronomaster Sport for RM29k (2023 registered date, retails is RM49k)

What watches have you guys come across that you think is a good buy (around RM10-30k)?

Offline dpkong

Re: Good value buy at current market around RM10-30k
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 07:17:55 AM »
Of your list, my interest would be with #4 because at that price, I don't think you will lose much if you have to resell.

I've also seen an Omega Dark Side of the moon ceramic watch asking RM29,800 with current retail price RM53,200

Offline shanky0

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 09:53:59 PM »
Not a good idea to buy a watch purely because it is good value, it's wiser to buy watches that you really like the design of and would wear on a long term basis. Chances are you will most likely fall out of love with these watches and then force to resell them at a lower price than you bought in the first place.

These watches are trading at a discount for a reason, they are not exactly the hottest models. Also be careful as there is a chance its fake.

Or am I misreading your questions, i.e. you are asking what type of watches to look out for that can be resold at a higher price?

Offline watchnerd

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 10:14:16 PM »
Yea the thing is you never know what you will grow to like over time, so I prefer to stay on the look out for good value buys so that I can narrow down my research to them, because for me, I don't immediately fall in love with a particular watch on first impressions alone.

So how I find watches to purchase goes like this :
1. Find good value to buy
2. Research about them to see if I like it or not
3. If I do like it, wait for a used example to be listed to buy

I generally prefer watches that are under the radar and usually they are not the hottest models.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 01:13:14 PM »
Yea the thing is you never know what you will grow to like over time, so I prefer to stay on the look out for good value buys so that I can narrow down my research to them, because for me, I don't immediately fall in love with a particular watch on first impressions alone.

So how I find watches to purchase goes like this :
1. Find good value to buy
2. Research about them to see if I like it or not
3. If I do like it, wait for a used example to be listed to buy

I generally prefer watches that are under the radar and usually they are not the hottest models.

Not a bad strategy at all..

It's best to decide what you like, not follow the hype of the masses. Back then when I bought the 16570 in white dial, it was actually cheaper because everyone preferred black. For me, I tend to avoid black dials where possible so many models were ruled out.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 02:01:17 PM »
Of the watches mentioned; i'd go with the Zenith. For your strategy; i'd say you are spot on. "Value" here is subjective and when something is subjective, it is often personal. If the watch is great in your opinion, there isnt a lot that can change your mind.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline shanky0

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 11:14:47 AM »
 :thumbsup: The Zenith Chronomaster Sport is a really handsome watch, cant go wrong with it bro. Really love the tricolour subdial. Needless to say the 1/10th of a second automatic chronograph movement is legendary. Some people would argue its gimmicky but I think its cool.

Offline kingtrader9

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 04:45:45 PM »
For me. it's a toss between #2 and #4

Offline gr2k

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 09:48:49 AM »
it's really hard to say based on price alone because some might tell you to get a GS while others will vehemently disagree.

it's the same with cars and anything else really - different people will have different preferences and opinions.

i'd say you should get the one you would like to keep in your collection rather than thinking ahead of the value if you plan to sell it further down the road.

Offline hoho1111

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 06:47:45 PM »
Something I’ve learnt watch collecting is that always go for used watches as it’s much better in terms of value imo. Obviously be cautious

Offline Vicc8433

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2023, 05:45:36 PM »
Of all 4, I think I would go for either #2 or #4 mainly because of the look and also the brand. However, for used watches do check properly before buying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline aclosewatch

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 03:56:39 AM »
The Rolex Explorer 214270, with recent changes in prices it seems to be available for around the 28-30k range these days.

Offline hxcpride

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2024, 12:01:12 PM »
When i heard good value for the money around the price bracket, it will
be Tudor Black Bay Series and the Pelagos. Solid build quality and able to get
with different materials ( Titanium, Steel, Silver, Ceramic etc)  You have more options
with colors and sizes too.

The other one is Longines Spirit line. The Zulu Time and The new Hydroconquest is a looker.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 12:03:57 PM by hxcpride »

Offline tripleb90

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 10:25:51 PM »

Of your list, my interest would be with #4 because at that price, I don't think you will lose much if you have to resell.

I've also seen an Omega Dark Side of the moon ceramic watch asking RM29,800 with current retail price RM53,200

Where you find the omega dsotm less than RM 30k?

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 09:59:28 AM »

Where you find the omega dsotm less than RM 30k?

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Sorry, can't find the specific ad now.. it was on one of my Telegram feeds..

I clearly recall it as it was below RM30k which is a little lower than I expected. DSOTM never had really good resale price even though list price at retail has gone up a lot in the last 3-4 years and discounts getting smaller.

FYI, a local authorised dealer who had his status removed was clearing stock and had an offer for a DSOTM for about RM32k about 3~4 years ago.. brand new but no Omega warranty as it was old stock and his AD status was no longer valid. Didn't want black as I was after the Grey Side. Took awhile but he eventually sold it when the watch hype blew up...