Author Topic: Rolex Service Centre wait times and service prices  (Read 5756 times)

Offline jf98

Rolex Service Centre wait times and service prices
« on: October 06, 2022, 04:34:44 PM »
Hi there MWF members,

Looking for some personal experiences with the Rolex Service Centre at Menara Dion. How long does it take from sending your watch in to receiving it back for just a regular service? And how much do they charge for a regular service for out of warranty older models like let's say a 3185 calibre Explorer II 16570? Would greatly appreciate some feedback, cheers

Offline rnsm1979

Re: Rolex Service Centre wait times and service prices
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 07:48:16 AM »
recently i send my latest acquisition 16610 from 2007 to RSC

tentative wait time : approximately 3 mth prior for collection
charges : 2539 (complete overhaul. replacement of tube, crown) i opt out from polishing the watch
bezel insert : 230
crystal : 530

i would say the price above is reasonable as i was being quote roughly around 2k as well for complete overhaul from outside watch maker.

you can send your watch in for quotation (200 will be charge if you then opt not to service your watch)

Offline jf98

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 05:25:59 PM »

charges : 2539 (complete overhaul. replacement of tube, crown) i opt out from polishing the watch

i would say the price above is reasonable as i was being quote roughly around 2k as well for complete overhaul from outside watch maker.

you can send your watch in for quotation (200 will be charge if you then opt not to service your watch)
Thanks for sharing bro. Is the RM2539 inclusive of bezel insert and crystal? I’m considering purchasing a 16570 with unknown service history, I assume they would charge extra for the service on a GMT movement right? 3 months also seems a bit long, but considering the insert and crystal had to be replaced, maybe some of the waiting time was for those parts to arrive. Cheers

Offline rnsm1979

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 06:10:35 PM »

Thanks for sharing bro. Is the RM2539 inclusive of bezel insert and crystal? I’m considering purchasing a 16570 with unknown service history, I assume they would charge extra for the service on a GMT movement right? 3 months also seems a bit long, but considering the insert and crystal had to be replaced, maybe some of the waiting time was for those parts to arrive. Cheers

Nup, insert and crystal was not included in overhaul changes and has to be paid separately

Not too sure about gmt but should be slightly higher.
U can send in urs to get it quote for rm 200, it took 2 business day for the quotation to be ready.

Offline jf98

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 08:19:26 PM »
Nup, insert and crystal was not included in overhaul changes and has to be paid separately

Not too sure about gmt but should be slightly higher.
U can send in urs to get it quote for rm 200, it took 2 business day for the quotation to be ready.
Thanks for the clarification bro...appreciate it  :Cheers:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2022, 11:25:01 AM »
Serviced a M series 16570 in 2017 for RM22xx and the standard service includes change of crown and crown tube and polishing. Only RSC can refinish the bezel perfectly and even touch up the black paint on the bezel. I thought it was a new bezel until I saw the old nicks which were really deep. Turnaround time then was about one month.

in 2019, serviced a V series 116523 for just under 3k, also includes the standard crown & tube change, polish

I don't think price has gone up much but you can always call them up to ask what the standard charges are. I also think now that COVID is no longer and issue, they should be able to get back to the standard 30 days turnaround time.

the GMT movement is not particularly more complicated than a normal date movement

Offline jonhtks

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 05:14:15 PM »
Sent in my oysterquartz for a battery change 2 months back. Free battery replacement and free rolex pouch for u upon collection. Everything was FREE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jf98

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 10:14:23 PM »
Serviced a M series 16570 in 2017 for RM22xx and the standard service includes change of crown and crown tube and polishing. Only RSC can refinish the bezel perfectly and even touch up the black paint on the bezel. I thought it was a new bezel until I saw the old nicks which were really deep. Turnaround time then was about one month.

in 2019, serviced a V series 116523 for just under 3k, also includes the standard crown & tube change, polish

I don't think price has gone up much but you can always call them up to ask what the standard charges are. I also think now that COVID is no longer and issue, they should be able to get back to the standard 30 days turnaround time.

the GMT movement is not particularly more complicated than a normal date movement

Wow! Didn't know they could just refinish the bezels and not straightaway replace them. Price seems quite decent too, although I hope turnaround time will be around 30 days only.

When they polished the watch, were the original bevels on the case edges retained? I've heard some horror stories from RSCs regarding overpolishing watches to the point that case edges were completely rounded off but also heard from others that they only do a very light polish. Would appreciate some feedback on that too  ;D

Offline jf98

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 10:15:31 PM »
Sent in my oysterquartz for a battery change 2 months back. Free battery replacement and free rolex pouch for u upon collection. Everything was FREE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that's fantastic...wish they could service a mechanical piece free for me too  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 11:14:58 AM »

Wow! Didn't know they could just refinish the bezels and not straightaway replace them. Price seems quite decent too, although I hope turnaround time will be around 30 days only.

When they polished the watch, were the original bevels on the case edges retained? I've heard some horror stories from RSCs regarding overpolishing watches to the point that case edges were completely rounded off but also heard from others that they only do a very light polish. Would appreciate some feedback on that too  ;D

Replacement bezel is a chargeable item. No need to replace unless badly damaged. Standard service include polish service and I believe no discount on the basic charges rate even if you decide not to polish the watch.

My bezel was badly scratched and the black markers were worn out. After polish, only one or two deep dings remained. RSC does not do laser welding. The unique sun-ray finish on the bezel is something most outside polish shops can never replicate. My initial thought was the bezel was replaced because it looked like new.

The bevels on the case edges and bezel are also like new. Something outside shops also find very hard to produce. Outside shops brush the bezel then polish the bevel till it's round. RSC bevels look like a sharp slice with very distinct lines. The brushed finish direction are also very well done around the lugs and and look like new. The watch has been safely stored away since service as I haven't had the heart to wear it since it's job has been replaced by the 216570. Will share pictures if I ever take it out of long term storage. Being the one and only time the watch has been serviced/polished might account for the end result as well.

As the 16570 is now getting quite old and soon approaching vintage territory it is common that owners want to retain it as original as possible. I think most horror stories of watches returning from RSC with a bad polish were probably already destroyed much earlier by outside shops. I don't think RSC can save a watch that is already over polished. Also, the expertise of the actual person working on the watch itself at RSC might be crucial as well.

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 02:46:09 PM »
Hi there MWF members,

Looking for some personal experiences with the Rolex Service Centre at Menara Dion. How long does it take from sending your watch in to receiving it back for just a regular service? And how much do they charge for a regular service for out of warranty older models like let's say a 3185 calibre Explorer II 16570? Would greatly appreciate some feedback, cheers

I had a fantastic experience servicing my 116300 Datejust II in June 2020 at RSC Menara Dion. It took them about 6 weeks and the total charge was roughly RM 4000 including overhaul, polish, replace bridges and crystal. The watch prior to service was really, really beat up, and it came back almost like brand new.

BEFORE:
https://i.imgur.com/vDmIuGy.jpg

AFTER:
https://i.imgur.com/SVtAgrC.jpg

Offline bc40

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 08:12:19 AM »
It is roughly 2.5 to 3 months wait

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 07:46:22 PM »
Hi there MWF members,

Since we are talking about Rolex Service Centre , I would like to know if anyone here had ever sent a Tudor Black Bay M79230B-0008 for servicing. How much is roughly cost for the full service? My Tudor BB had been almost 7 years running without service. I had notice it starts loosing time recently.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 04:31:49 PM »
Hi there MWF members,

Since we are talking about Rolex Service Centre , I would like to know if anyone here had ever sent a Tudor Black Bay M79230B-0008 for servicing. How much is roughly cost for the full service? My Tudor BB had been almost 7 years running without service. I had notice it starts loosing time recently.

Suggest you call them up to ask what is the base service price - though they will caveat it with potential variable costs of parts etc

Offline XuinTan

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2022, 06:38:48 PM »
Hi guys any of you ever bring rolex bought preowned to service centre? Did them asking anything about watch ownership? Or maybe you all just get rolex from AD? Thanks

Offline rnsm1979

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2022, 04:30:54 AM »
Hi guys any of you ever bring rolex bought preowned to service centre? Did them asking anything about watch ownership? Or maybe you all just get rolex from AD? Thanks

all the time and no question ask (with or without card) as long as the watch is authentic  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline kinz

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2022, 07:31:01 AM »

That's good to know. I'm going to be dropping off my 14060 after CNY and hopefully the turn around time is quicker. They quoted me last month all in all service is around 2.8k. Will update when I send it in.

Offline BB58

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2022, 08:24:59 AM »

I believe Rolex Malaysia send to Switzerland for service like other countries.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2022, 07:26:01 PM »

I believe Rolex Malaysia send to Switzerland for service like other countries.

Actually, on the contrary, Rolex actually does the service here locally in Malaysia - at Menara Dion. Cheers

Offline avaxis

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2023, 10:16:57 AM »
Mine took about 2 months+, this was in 2018 or 2019 can't remember
~RM3k

they were happy to accommodate request of not changing the dial, hands, date wheel - explicitly stated that I am happy with the condition even if it doesn't meet RSC standards -- there is some discolouration/yellowing. 1980s DJ. I've read that the service date wheel they use in other RSC in the world is incorrect for the period.

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2024, 06:57:31 AM »
Hi. Anyone here had service the Tudor Black Bay ( Ref: M79230B-0008 / Calibre MT5602) . How much the estimated cost? I would like to send mine next week. My watch is still keeping a good time since bought in 2016 but never been properly tested on timegrapher to inspect the timekeeping / movement condition.

Offline samuelk

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2024, 12:35:16 PM »
Very good experience with the RSC Malaysia. Had 2 of my GMT's serviced.

1). 116710N - Feb2022 (7 weeks) RM 2,5xx(incl. crown, tube), Chrystal RM 530, Rotor Weight RM 390
2). 16710 - Mar2023 (5 weeks) RM 30xx, crown RM 190

:Cheers:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2024, 01:33:08 PM »

The last time I serviced one in 2019, the standard service price includes a new crown, crown tube and light polish. Has that changed?

Their definition of light polish means very bad dings and nicks may still be seen.

Offline aclosewatch

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2024, 11:19:04 AM »
Does anyone have experience servicing their watch at a non official Rolex Service Centre? Like those watch shops that offer servicing at Berjaya or Amcorp? (They claim that original parts will be used)

Offline dpkong

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2024, 08:18:24 PM »
Does anyone have experience servicing their watch at a non official Rolex Service Centre? Like those watch shops that offer servicing at Berjaya or Amcorp? (They claim that original parts will be used)

The main issue here would be trust. So ROLEX claims they do not provide or sell parts to independent watchmakers so where do those "original parts" come from? Or maybe this is Malaysia and anything is possible? Or they're used parts cannibalised from other watches?