Poll

Which is your favourite colour on a Datejust ?

Blue
15 (83.3%)
Mint Green
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Rolex Datejust 41 Waitlist  (Read 7832 times)

Offline fs2625

Rolex Datejust 41 Waitlist
« on: October 02, 2022, 04:30:45 PM »
Hi all,

I may be interested to put my name down on the waitlist for either a blue or mint green datejust 41 and wanted to know what has your experience been like with the waitlist and dealing with the Rolex AD. I've been hearing and reading stories of years of waiting and sometimes even having to buy other watches from your SA to get the watch that you want

Just wanted some thoughts and experiences from anyone who is currently on the waitlist/interest list or has successfully bought a datejust 41 recently from an AD. Trying my best to gain better context on what to expect and if I should even consider trying as it seems like a dream to be able to get the piece that you want

And I'd rather not resort to purchasing from the grey market as I'd much prefer to purchase the watch at retail

Do share you thoughts, I'd love to hear and learn from everyone

Oh and while we're at it, do vote and let me know which colour is your favourite between the two! Thanks!

Mint Green Datejust
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/MrWatch85-Green-Datejust-1.jpeg

Blue Datejust
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/G2zZG-hvOcQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Offline jf98

Re: Rolex Datejust 41 Waitlist
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 03:31:12 PM »
I registered my name early last year for a 36mm fluted blue dial jubilee. Have some purchase history with that AD but I think I still have a long wait ahead of me. For new customers with no purchase history, I think the chances of getting one is slim to none nowadays. At this point it's probably cheaper to just buy from grey market depending on which dial colour if you really want it instead of building up purchase history with an AD, not to mention you can get the watch immediately.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 12:42:06 PM »
The most common comment is that you'll never get any Rolex from AD at retail price unless you've got connections or history and I'm not going to argue that comment anymore.

The problem has spread to most Patek and AP models and some Omega and Vacheron Constantin watches as well. Heck, even some Blancpain models cannot be found. For now, there is certainly more demand than supply. But how long will that last? Waiting for the watch you want is for certain, unless maybe you want a 28mm diamond ladies watch.

Don't buy something else just to please the SA and hope to get what you want. It's makes you have expectations which may not be fulfilled leading to frustration.

Avoid the grey market even if you think it will give instant gratification. Why feed the monsters that created this problem? Unless money came easily so easy come, easy go.

Building a relationships with an AD is very tricky and it's always easier said that done. If you're from KL, then the culture is too money-centric for any SA to waste time speaking with you. The best way of course is to visit a few ADs, try to talk to a few SA or better still the store manager. Try to get to know one who you can really discuss topics with so you can communicate what you want. You really can't blame any of the SA to think you're just a flipper if you're a first time customer so if they are interested to chat, then it is an opportunity to explain your interest in a particular model.

The Datejust was never a hyped model and usually available from resellers at a better discount than from AD. With the slowing economy, it will be interesting if they never go down in price. For certain, most Datejust models are no longer selling at the crazy prices of early 2022...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 12:46:16 PM by dpkong »

Offline bc40

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 08:16:12 AM »
Relationship building is essential here. Especially hugely sought after brands like Rolex, AP, Patek

Offline qhy500

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 01:35:41 PM »
Hi all,

I may be interested to put my name down on the waitlist for either a blue or mint green datejust 41 and wanted to know what has your experience been like with the waitlist and dealing with the Rolex AD. I've been hearing and reading stories of years of waiting and sometimes even having to buy other watches from your SA to get the watch that you want

Just wanted some thoughts and experiences from anyone who is currently on the waitlist/interest list or has successfully bought a datejust 41 recently from an AD. Trying my best to gain better context on what to expect and if I should even consider trying as it seems like a dream to be able to get the piece that you want

And I'd rather not resort to purchasing from the grey market as I'd much prefer to purchase the watch at retail

Oh and while we're at it, do vote and let me know which colour is your favourite between the two! Thanks!

Mint Green Datejust
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/MrWatch85-Green-Datejust-1.jpeg

Blue Datejust

Did you put your name down in the end? I gave up on the AD front because I just don't have the kind of money to build a relationship with them to get an allocation.

Offline dylan111

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 05:57:53 AM »
I did put my name last year for a datejust also. No news since then. Lol. In order to build a relationship with the AD, wondering what is minimum spending history record?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 12:41:45 PM »

Did you put your name down in the end? I gave up on the AD front because I just don't have the kind of money to build a relationship with them to get an allocation.

I did put my name last year for a datejust also. No news since then. Lol. In order to build a relationship with the AD, wondering what is minimum spending history record?

I think 2023 will be a weak year for the flippers. After the CNY and Raya festivities, the hype will likely die down when the realities of a weakening economy sets in. Those with ample cash would already have established links to ADs and not need to feed the grey market but those who are in it just to make a quick flip will find grey dealers aren't taking up the pieces at good prices, if at all.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 04:03:46 AM »

I think 2023 will be a weak year for the flippers. After the CNY and Raya festivities, the hype will likely die down when the realities of a weakening economy sets in. Those with ample cash would already have established links to ADs and not need to feed the grey market but those who are in it just to make a quick flip will find grey dealers aren't taking up the pieces at good prices, if at all.

Agreed. Have seen many going into grey dealers for a flip only to be turned away with reasons being ample stock.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 08:03:50 AM »

Agreed. Have seen many going into grey dealers for a flip only to be turned away with reasons being ample stock.

Those who liquidated earlier are grinning..

Those who are trying to offload now could be in a panic mode soon..

Is there finally a glut in the grey market? Will we see more stock available at ADs?

Will more people get the call now that they're not so easy to flip? Only time will tell.

2023 will be an interesting year...

Offline jiayonglim

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 03:46:53 PM »
Hi all,

Mint Green Datejust

Blue Datejust
I think it's hard for ADs to get those watches too. When they do get it, of course they can't satisfy everyone on the list at once.. From what they told me, they don't like people who flip watches. If somebody caught flipping watches, they'll blacklist them. So I guess, you just need to be a real watch enthusiast to stand a chance. Of course, if you have purchase history or a solid relationship with the AD, that might help too.

Sent from my SM-A525F using Tapatalk

Offline adryan

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 07:18:35 AM »
how long of the waiting list now? thanks

Offline AndrewTe

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 09:46:03 AM »
It is interest list now instead of waiting list   :D

Offline AndrewTe

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 09:54:53 AM »
If waiting list it means that you will be able to get that watch since you are "waiting" or "in queue". On the other hand, an interest list means it is not a waiting list and it is not a commitment for them to deliver the watch to you.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 12:04:01 PM »

If waiting list it means that you will be able to get that watch since you are "waiting" or "in queue". On the other hand, an interest list means it is not a waiting list and it is not a commitment for them to deliver the watch to you.

I think someone got smart and decided to change the term to use..

The way it really works isn't related to a list or queue at all. Unless it's a rare watch like the diamond studded Day-Date or Daytona, the remaining steel and steel/gold watches are usually available or will come soon.

The branch manager, or sometimes higher up, may have a say whether or not a certain customer is allowed to purchase a particular piece, especially the ones which are going for high premiums on the secondary market. For that they want to know if you're someone who wants the watch or just want to make a quick profit.

Actually, I've tried asking if a friend of mine could get a steel Submariner Date on my account but the manager was polite to decline and advise it's better he try his luck on his own and not using my account for it because it won't be good for everyone if the company finds out the watch was put up for sale.

Personally, I believe availability is getting much better and they will actually sell you something if you are sincere about buying to keep and not only just targeting the regular hot models. So many nice ROLEX models in the line up and if the AD you like is has other brands, you'd be surprised other brands like Zenith, Omega etc also make very nice watches.

In Dec 2022, I walked into a few AD in KL area and almost all would ask me to try on the watches. Of course there was conversation and when they realised I already have a few models, they would ask me to try those I didn't have and ask if I wanted to be on the "interest list". I just replied asking for a contact card and told them I would send him/her a message if I decided I would like to add one to the collection.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2023, 08:04:36 AM »
Things r easier if you know the ‘manager’ with some spending history…or intro

Else under normal circumstances, u will be put into interests/wishlists without much hope..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2023, 09:25:31 AM »

Else under normal circumstances, u will be put into interests/wishlists without much hope..

Just about everyone walks into an AD and only asks for the popular hot models. If I worked there, I would also assume that's just another flipper. How you converse with them separates the wheat from the chaff. From my recent visits, I find most AD staff are no longer as snotty as they used to be. Maybe it's the retraining or maybe it's the slowing sales. Wait and see.

It might be true that things are easier if you know the manager but they too are also constrained by available stock. The stress is real. Getting an earful from a high value customer for a watch you haven't got stock for who just wants to throw money at you is not nice at all.

The problem is customers want what everyone else wants, and they want it now. As long as this goes on, it will never be like 10 years ago when you could walk into a grey dealer and buy most anything other than a steel Daytona at a nice discount.

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2023, 11:20:54 AM »

Just about everyone walks into an AD and only asks for the popular hot models. If I worked there, I would also assume that's just another flipper. How you converse with them separates the wheat from the chaff. From my recent visits, I find most AD staff are no longer as snotty as they used to be. Maybe it's the retraining or maybe it's the slowing sales. Wait and see.

It might be true that things are easier if you know the manager but they too are also constrained by available stock. The stress is real. Getting an earful from a high value customer for a watch you haven't got stock for who just wants to throw money at you is not nice at all.

The problem is customers want what everyone else wants, and they want it now. As long as this goes on, it will never be like 10 years ago when you could walk into a grey dealer and buy most anything other than a steel Daytona at a nice discount.

Well said bro. To me and I guess  to many potential purchasers as well, what is annoying or irritating is the fact that such "in demand" watches are readily available at grey market dealers for a significant markup. It runs against logic that the supply comes only from flippers. The high end watch supply conundrum is unlikely to ease. For me if I can wait I will. If something else comes along which interests me, I will probably forgo the Rolex. Many other fishes in the sea.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2023, 11:33:09 AM »

Well said bro. To me and I guess  to many potential purchasers as well, what is annoying or irritating is the fact that such "in demand" watches are readily available at grey market dealers for a significant markup. It runs against logic that the supply comes only from flippers. The high end watch supply conundrum is unlikely to ease. For me if I can wait I will. If something else comes along which interests me, I will probably forgo the Rolex. Many other fishes in the sea.

It's probably going to be very hard to deny that some ADs are indeed in cahoots with grey dealers to bundle out some hot ROLEX models with stagnant stock of Hublot, Franck Muller etc.. but the fact is that a lot of those you see on the grey market were indeed sold to some "deserving customers" who promptly flipped it.

There are players in the market, as with all lucrative markets, who control the pricing and to collect all the flipped watches for distribution, more likely to another country so as to try to evade detection by the AD of the country in which it was sold. It's a lot more going behind the scenes and the dealers are smart enough to keep quiet about it.

At the end of the day, the buyer decides whether they play the AD waiting games or pay the grey market network.

Many other fishes in the sea indeed!

Offline Poppyplants

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2023, 01:40:06 PM »

I hope the grey dealers all close shop. It has been a frustrating 5 years.

Offline fs2625

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2023, 12:18:32 PM »

I did put my name down and I also bought a watch since then from my AD but they were very honest to say that it will be awhile before I get the call for my Rolex.

With this in mind, I've just left it to luck and fate to get the call and instead focus on collecting and enjoying other brands and pieces that are available.

I don't have unlimited funds and I'm not looking to rush to get watches as fast as I can. And honestly, the whole situation with Rolex made it so stressful and killed the joy out of collecting for me

So if it happens, it happens but I'm really enjoying looking forward to slowly saving and maybe pick up other watches in the future instead :)

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2023, 09:04:15 AM »
no one can commit the date or the model... for my case, my SA confirm my gmt 2 allocation after my few purchase and i thought i will collect the watch the next couple months and it ended up almost a year waiting time...

Offline dylan111

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2023, 08:07:35 AM »
no one can commit the date or the model... for my case, my SA confirm my gmt 2 allocation after my few purchase and i thought i will collect the watch the next couple months and it ended up almost a year waiting time...

Mind to share how much u burnt before u are allocated for gmt 2?

Offline waihong89

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2023, 08:08:56 AM »
Depends on which AD you are getting from.. What i know is, you need to have purchase record from the AD in order to get the watch faster. or else you can't even have it after 2-3 years.. the AD i know is starting with letter T..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2023, 08:52:40 AM »
Depends on which AD you are getting from.. What i know is, you need to have purchase record from the AD in order to get the watch faster. or else you can't even have it after 2-3 years.. the AD i know is starting with letter T..

As said many times, depends on the models you are looking for.. those hot models with high resale value won't go to first time buyers who look like they will just flip it for profit.

Between a real watch collector or someone who buys to wear and keep and a person with lots of capital who just wants to flip anything from shoes to watches, the AD will likely choose the collector. If they agree to sell to a flipper, they obviously want to make as much money from them first before allocating a popular piece.

Of course AD staff are also aware of the market prices and resale values and know how to make money from flippers as well.

Offline lebasi

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2023, 06:24:25 PM »
i queued for a VC 4500v Blue in Singapore in 2021. went to collect recently at their ion boutique.

i was quite thankful that they honored the "interest list". I never visited their boutique, initially we just communicated via email.

i suppose you will get your watch, as long as you don't queue for a rolex  :D