Author Topic: Watch Review: Ophion OPH 786 Vélos Blue Guilloche  (Read 1935 times)

Offline hong999

• Freshie
Watch Review: Ophion OPH 786 Vélos Blue Guilloche
« on: September 21, 2022, 09:08:09 AM »
I was looking for a guilloche watch back to 2020, the indie brands included Ophion, Laine, Schwarz Etienne, Aleksandr Nesterenko, J.N. Shapiro and etc.

Why no Breguet or Voutilainen? Because of $$$....

At the end, I opted for Ophion OPH 786 Vélos with blue guilloche dial.

Specification:
Case: 316L Stainless Steel hand polished, with independent made and welded teardrop lugs.
Case Size: 39 mm
Lug width: 20mm
Thickness: 10.45mm
Movement: 3 hands manual winding movement with 120 hours (5 days) power reserve.

What I like about this watch?
- Guilloche dial and a hand-decorated movement are often coming with a hefty price tag but Ophion provided an exception.
- Small production watch and Ophion managed to get the case made by Voutilainen’s case-making company, with independently welded teardrop lugs. Teardrop lugs can be considered as Voutilainen’s watch logo.
- No compromise on the finishing despite the watch priced at affordable range.
- Good accuracy with daily variance ± 5 sec per day.

Pictures:
a) For blue guilloche, the hands and Breguet numbers are mirror polish. Logo and minute track are brush finishing.

Another picture taken by Monochrome Watches (Credit to Monochrome Watches) at better quality and lighting:

b) Movement layout & design have the old-style pocket watch taste. Maybe the idea is from F.P. Journe Historical Anniversary Tourbillon T30 ??

c) Special made movement with good, not ETA or Seliita despite the affordable price range.
The 3 main bridges feature a unique pattern with hammered finishing.

d) The word - Ophion means serpent in Greek mythology, but when I look at the Ophion logo… I will pay tribute to Nokia  ;D

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: Watch Review: Ophion OPH 786 Vélos Blue Guilloche
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 09:09:22 AM »
good choice, sounds like a bargain.

despite its not the engine turn guilloche, but owner really transparent with all the suppliers and manufacturing process !

late congratulations !

Offline pleasuresaurus

Re: Watch Review: Ophion OPH 786 Vélos Blue Guilloche
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 10:02:43 AM »
Handsome piece there mate, that dial is sweet. Always wanted to get my hands on a nice guilloche dial. Good catch 👍🏿