Author Topic: How many watches in a rotation or collection?  (Read 8998 times)

Offline KernkraftX360

• Freshie
Re: How many watches in a rotation or collection?
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2022, 11:21:05 PM »
My personal opinion would be as we grow older, our collection would grow smaller in number. Like Jean Claude Beaver said, we would downscale our collection to a small number of "meaningful" pieces that defines the world of your own horology (it doesn't have to be expensive, but something that defines you as a person. Currently, I have pieces from childhood still, and also some from adulthood, within the number of 15 watches, but would definitely downscale it to just 3 pieces when I'm older.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2022, 08:20:49 AM »

My personal opinion would be as we grow older, our collection would grow smaller in number. Like Jean Claude Beaver said, we would downscale our collection to a small number of "meaningful" pieces that defines the world of your own horology (it doesn't have to be expensive, but something that defines you as a person. Currently, I have pieces from childhood still, and also some from adulthood, within the number of 15 watches, but would definitely downscale it to just 3 pieces when I'm older.

Possibly one of the best answers in this thread... as I have been wondering why I've gone from the "try to collect what you like" to the "do I really want to have so many?"

It must be the age factor creeping up where you no longer hunger for quantity but begin to look for meaning in each piece. For example, the first watch in a collection.. do I really still want to keep it? Maybe asking the right questions will make it easier to release the pieces where the attachment is no longer as strong as it was.

Offline bc40

• Freshie
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2022, 08:25:09 AM »
Personally, I think it differs between individuals. Watch collectors have no limit to their number of watches. But rotational, 4 to 5 makes enough sense to me

Offline qhy500

• Freshie
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2023, 01:25:45 PM »
Yeah I also think what your philosophy is, I find even 4-5 watches can be a bit much because you won't be able to wear a different everyday, since it depends on what you're wearing, where you're going, what you're doing etc

Offline dpkong

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2023, 12:49:17 PM »

Yeah I also think what your philosophy is, I find even 4-5 watches can be a bit much because you won't be able to wear a different everyday, since it depends on what you're wearing, where you're going, what you're doing etc

Is 4/5 watches a bit much? I'm thinking to scale down from about 14 to about 6...

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline mwfchai

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2023, 08:35:53 AM »
Unlike what the others said, I do wear a different watch everyday.

Hence, I have 6 autos and another last (hopefully) auto incoming.  My watch tend to be different than each other and trying to fit in the theme fo dress, diver, pilot, choronograph, gmt and more.  Also, I only stick to one model per brand, thus curbing the itch and saving my wallet in the process.

But the N+1 theory seems right too coz just as I was about to end my journy with the Ventura incoming, I saw the Bulova lunar pilot on carousell.....hmmm....ahhaah....

Enjoy the suffering, guys!!

Offline avaxis

• Freshie
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2023, 09:38:21 AM »
1 chrono, 1 diver, 1 somewhat dressy watch, 1 thin dress watch and 1 g-shock.

Every man needs a G-Shock.

Sadly for me
I have 1 chrono, 2 diver (getting rid of 1), 1 somewhat dressy watch and 3 g-shock (should get rid of 2)

Thin dress watches is really pricey. Maybe I'll cheat with a quartz

Offline kram45

• Freshie
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2023, 09:37:00 PM »
My daily beaters are 5 watches while my grails are 9 in total.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2023, 08:04:22 AM »
My daily beaters are 5 watches while my grails are 9 in total.

Grails already acquired? Please share!

Offline Zaini

• Freshie
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2023, 08:08:25 AM »
Currently, I have 10 in my rotation. I sincerely believe that 2 or 3 is the bestest collection ever. No side grade. 1 for beater / day use. 1 for night / dress use. And 1 chrono or weekend use. Some unique piece or something. You'd be content with just 2 too IMO. WatchFinder even have only 1 or 2 max IIRC.

Offline KernkraftX360

• Freshie
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2023, 03:58:40 PM »
Currently, I have 10 in my rotation. I sincerely believe that 2 or 3 is the bestest collection ever. No side grade. 1 for beater / day use. 1 for night / dress use. And 1 chrono or weekend use. Some unique piece or something. You'd be content with just 2 too IMO. WatchFinder even have only 1 or 2 max IIRC.

To be honest, "X" number of watches doesn't matter at most times because apparently I keep using the one or two watches that are to my liking at the end of the day. Some goes for apparels apparently. Maybe I just reached that age whereby I need to some hoarding  ::)

Offline afiq asyran

• Freshie
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2023, 07:06:35 AM »
4 watches. 1 cheap, water resistant quartz for gardening (it is important for me to know the time for prayer), 1 mechanical without window date, 1 automatic cheap, rugged edc style watch (incase i involve is minor accident, I dont have to worry about it broken), 1 auto blue dial to match with my jeans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dremon69

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2023, 07:22:17 PM »
Used to have 5 to 6 models in rotation at my highest crisis period.. then realized I wasn’t satisfied .. decided to love and wear only one .. then happy!

Offline hksauce

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2023, 03:26:51 PM »
I have three that are in rotation currently - a Chopard Alpine Eagle 36mm in blue for work life, a Cartier tank cintreé dual time when I go on trips, and a 60th anniversary olive green day-date for weddings. I’m limiting my collection to a max 5 watches at a time, but oooh it’s hard 🫣

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2023, 08:47:55 AM »
I have three that are in rotation currently - a Chopard Alpine Eagle 36mm in blue for work life, a Cartier tank cintreé dual time when I go on trips, and a 60th anniversary olive green day-date for weddings. I’m limiting my collection to a max 5 watches at a time, but oooh it’s hard 🫣

wow stunning collection there...belanja gambar  ::)

Offline Henry T

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2023, 09:19:49 AM »
You can have many, but in the end you'll be wearing the few favourites over and over again.

I'm talking from experience.  ;D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2023, 01:00:18 PM »
You can have many, but in the end you'll be wearing the few favourites over and over again.

very true.. there's always a few that I would always reach for

but those less worn pieces, once I put them on again, I can't bring myself to sell it...

That's the dilemma

Offline kingtrader9

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2023, 04:49:50 PM »
Personally, I have a 3-watch collection:

1) A dive/sports - Omega Seamaster 300M
2) Dress - Cartier Tank
3) Daily - Huawei Smartwatch

Offline gr2k

• Freshie
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2023, 09:57:39 AM »

agree..i went up to 7, and still only wore 2 most of the time. Eventually sold off a few and now i mostly alternate between these 3:

1. Junghans Meister (dress watch)
2. Seiko Metronome SMW006A (it's not high-end or anything but really special to me)
3. Apple Watch Series 8 (nothing special but truthfully the most practical for daily)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 09:59:36 AM by gr2k »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2023, 10:52:48 AM »
Definitely agree that there are a few that become favorite watches which I tend to reach for more often than others but the problem is that I cannot bring myself to sell the other less worn watches. Add to that whenever got a bit of free time will browse watch sites and see what other models may be interesting.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2023, 05:46:37 PM »
3 Watch collection bestest…

1x Grail
1x Sentimental
1x Beater..

Lolx

Offline Henry T

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2023, 09:33:18 AM »
Once in a while you dig out one of your long forgotten pieces to wear and it feels like you are wearing a new one.  :D

Offline jf98

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2023, 09:52:38 AM »
Once in a while you dig out one of your long forgotten pieces to wear and it feels like you are wearing a new one.  :D

I love this feeling!  ;D

Offline hoho1111

• Freshie
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2023, 06:34:46 AM »
I have 7or 8 watches I think and I kinda wear all of them depending on my outfit, mood basically tpo.

Offline Dantbk

• Freshie
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2023, 01:35:14 PM »
 5 watches are already hard to maintain :)