Author Topic: Can buy cheaper watch in Japan?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline destinyjazz

Can buy cheaper watch in Japan?
« on: June 26, 2023, 12:29:25 PM »
Dear Sifu and daigor in this forum, I am new to the watch world and will travel to Japan very soon.

May I ask if the watch selling price in Japan is cheaper when compared to Malaysia? Especially those Japan brands like Seiko, Citizen, etc....

Offline engkow

Re: Can buy cheaper watch in Japan?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 02:32:57 PM »
Shop around see which model you interested here or google the price then only
target the watch you want whether it is cheaper.
Few years back I bought one Seiko more expensive at Giza so alway do you homework first.

Offline shanky0

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 09:16:49 AM »
I had the same idea to shop for watches in Japan, when I finally visit it one day, if your adventurous, maybe can try looking for preowned?

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/guide-buying-used-vintage-watches-tokyo-japan/

Came across this article previously and found it to be fascinating. Apparently they also sell a wide selection of JDM models for Seiko, citizens etcs in electronics stores and large departmental store. You may want to check it out there also.

Last thing, remember to claim GST refund.

Offline destinyjazz

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 09:36:26 AM »
I had the same idea to shop for watches in Japan, when I finally visit it one day, if your adventurous, maybe can try looking for preowned?

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/guide-buying-used-vintage-watches-tokyo-japan/

Came across this article previously and found it to be fascinating. Apparently they also sell a wide selection of JDM models for Seiko, citizens etcs in electronics stores and large departmental store. You may want to check it out there also.

Last thing, remember to claim GST refund.

Wow, thanks for sharing. Would it be better to purchase at Airport as the watches are already tax-free? And would it be any additional taxes I need to pay when I back to Malaysia?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 01:02:35 PM »

Taxes would of course need to be paid for any item exceeding RM500 which at our current exchange rate covers just about everything. It all depends how diligent the Customs officers are at questioning you or your conscience.

As to prices, I used to be told that some things are actually more expensive in Japan and the only items worth getting are JDM or Japan Domestic Market, meaning they were never intended for sales or marketed outside of Japan, officially that is.

Offline destinyjazz

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 01:32:50 PM »

Taxes would of course need to be paid for any item exceeding RM500 which at our current exchange rate covers just about everything. It all depends how diligent the Customs officers are at questioning you or your conscience.

As to prices, I used to be told that some things are actually more expensive in Japan and the only items worth getting are JDM or Japan Domestic Market, meaning they were never intended for sales or marketed outside of Japan, officially that is.

Cool! I learnt something today. Based on your experience, any specific shops or places in Tokyo can buy those JDM watches?

Offline shanky0

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 08:31:08 PM »
You can probably get away with not declaring the custom duty if you have 1 or 2 pieces. Probably wear the watch on the wrist and put the box in your luggage. Malaysian custom officers are not the most diligent  :police:, but you never know might get unlucky.

Just do your research beforehand on the JDM models you want, you can check out a few websites to get an idea of what you want. Perhaps start with these popular ones -

https://www.shoppinginjapan.net/seiko-watch/
https://www.sakurawatches.com/
https://www.seiyajapan.com/
https://www.gnomonwatches.com/

Personally I only have experience buying from sakura watches, bought a JDM Seiko SARB055 last year, got taxed @ 5% by Malaysian custom cause the courier, DHL declared it. No complains, only reason I bought from them was they were the cheapest  ;)

Never been to Japan so I cant help you on which shop sells it. Hope that helps anyway.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 09:18:38 PM »

Cool! I learnt something today. Based on your experience, any specific shops or places in Tokyo can buy those JDM watches?

sorry no firsthand experience.. just sharing what information made known to me

Offline Watchlover1970

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 12:38:13 PM »
I think some like house kihiroba will deduct tax on the spot..

Offline gr2k

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 10:17:50 AM »
in my personal experience - yes, it is almost always cheaper in Japan (after tax deductions) but not necessarily by much...and hunting for the exact model you want is tedious and could affect your holiday experience - unless you plan to travel there with the sole purpose of watch hunting  :D

specifically if you're looking at GS/Seiko - it is noticeably cheaper in Japan than here. also, they have JDM pieces as well.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 12:34:42 PM by gr2k »

Offline destinyjazz

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 10:41:16 AM »
So, can I assume that any watch shop on the streets is selling cheaper than in Malaysia? :Laughing_on_floor: Especially seiko/GS/Citizen/G-shcok.

Offline gr2k

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2023, 12:35:29 PM »
So, can I assume that any watch shop on the streets is selling cheaper than in Malaysia? :Laughing_on_floor: Especially seiko/GS/Citizen/G-shcok.

purely from my experience - yes. but i have to say again, not necessarily much cheaper.

Offline squasub

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2023, 01:37:31 AM »
depends on currency exchange too. now is good time because yen is dropping..

Offline destinyjazz

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 07:55:19 AM »
Yes... From what I heard and read, many people canceled their Japan trips due to the recent radioactive water release issue. Therefore I hope to get some of my recent admirers seiko/g-shock models with my limited budget.

Offline hoho1111

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2023, 06:48:37 PM »
You’ll really need to do your research prior as some watches r cheaper and some aren’t.

Offline aclosewatch

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2024, 04:04:05 AM »
Is there somewhere like an equivalent to 47th Street NYC in Japan where all the watch dealers are centered?