Author Topic: Need advise on Diver Watch  (Read 4134 times)

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
Need advise on Diver Watch
« on: August 22, 2022, 09:47:39 AM »
I need advice on Diver watch between budget on RM 8X++ till RM 9X++ (I mention on inflation/grey market price) and not on retail price.

Rolex Hulk / Blue/ Starbuck / Deep sea VS Audemars Piguet Oak Offshore Diver 15703ST

Which one is better watch daily beater? 40mm vs 42mm.

My wrist is a bit small and better for 36mm - 40mm.

I need thinks carefully before I hit the bell. My head think about rollie, but another of my heart think about Offshore. ;)

But Offshore diver look dull and bulky but the engine / movement is another story  :D (legendary)

But Rollie look flashy and flexing.

Unique craftsmanship, represents examples of high quality watchmaking, whereby preference depends ultimately on personal taste.

Basically I did try at AD but i know a bit difficult to get a sporty watch. still in waiting
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:51:00 AM by ray6969 »

Offline dpkong

Re: Need advise on Diver Watch
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 06:13:15 PM »

1. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms collection

2. JLC Polaris

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 11:22:26 AM »
Not sure if there is a typo in your initial post but you mentioned "RM8x++ till RM9X++", does that mean your budget is around RM8k to 9k? If so, then realistically you are looking at Oris or Ball for divers. But if your budget is more RM80k to RM90k, then Rolex comes into the equation. As for 40mm vs 42mm, you mentioned that your wrist suits the 40mm better. I would not go for a larger watch unless I am sure that my wrist can wear one. A larger watch on a smaller wrist will result in higher instances of the watch picking up knocks that will cause dings and scratches to the watch.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 11:29:06 AM »
Not sure if there is a typo in your initial post but you mentioned "RM8x++ till RM9X++", does that mean your budget is around RM8k to 9k? If so, then realistically you are looking at Oris or Ball for divers. But if your budget is more RM80k to RM90k, then Rolex comes into the equation. As for 40mm vs 42mm, you mentioned that your wrist suits the 40mm better. I would not go for a larger watch unless I am sure that my wrist can wear one. A larger watch on a smaller wrist will result in higher instances of the watch picking up knocks that will cause dings and scratches to the watch.

got me as well... but since he mentioned AP and Rolex, surely not looking at Oris or Ball...

good looking divers are generally over 40mm in size

good tip on large watches catching knocks and dings but I'd add that it's more about how high the watch sits above the wrist.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 06:50:20 PM »

2. JLC Polaris

Oh that Polaris Diver is a killer piece... :Jumping:

The Memovox version is like a little fire alarm going off on the wrist when the alarm goes off!

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 08:48:43 PM »
Rollie n AP ROO is all fine n good no doubt, but I gotta say la, BP FF is one helluva looker. Even this entry level Bathy, dat fine ass dial haiyoooo... menggugat keimanan bro  :Laughing_on_floor:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 08:50:39 PM by pleasuresaurus »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 09:06:12 AM »

Oh that Polaris Diver is a killer piece... :Jumping:

The Memovox version is like a little fire alarm going off on the wrist when the alarm goes off!

would absolutely love the Memovox one if only it weren't so expensive...

I wonder if it would attract sharks if it went off underwater?

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2022, 07:53:37 AM »
Seems sharks have good hearing for low frequency noise n water conducts sound better than air..... there's really only one way to find out tho  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline jf98

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 11:56:04 PM »
Based on the watches OP mentioned he is deciding between, I doubt a Fifty Fathoms or Polaris would even remotely be a consideration. Although if I was to add to the potential list, I think the Omega Ploprof would be darn cool  ;D

Good luck with the hunt OP  :Cheers:

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 12:50:15 PM »

2. JLC Polaris

Nice suggestion brothers, JLC Polaris Mariner Date look nice with 30 bar, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms if I'm not mistaken only have blue color with 38mm and the others colors 43mm till 44mm (a bit big for my wrist)

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 01:00:29 PM »

Thanks brothers, I did thinking of that. But sometime my logic mind (head) says keep with rollie but my heart nonstop of AP. I need think carefully or saving money and keep waiting in Authorized Dealer (AD).

Before this I did pass at AD with model that I don't want, maybe wrong or stupid thing that I did. (Ofcoz with the bling2 thing)   :'(

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 01:02:48 PM »

got me as well... but since he mentioned AP and Rolex, surely not looking at Oris or Ball...

good looking divers are generally over 40mm in size

good tip on large watches catching knocks and dings but I'd add that it's more about how high the watch sits above the wrist.

Thanks brothers, catching knock and dings is because small wrist.  :thumbsup:

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 01:04:12 PM »
Rollie n AP ROO is all fine n good no doubt, but I gotta say la, BP FF is one helluva looker. Even this entry level Bathy, dat fine ass dial haiyoooo... menggugat keimanan bro  :Laughing_on_floor:

Look stunning!!!!

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 01:09:56 PM »
Based on the watches OP mentioned he is deciding between, I doubt a Fifty Fathoms or Polaris would even remotely be a consideration. Although if I was to add to the potential list, I think the Omega Ploprof would be darn cool  ;D

My first Luxury watch after University and first working as White Coller Worker is 2254.00.00 (Preowned at Grey Market). I still affection with this Omega, but Ploprof is legendary and different of aficionado watch geek.  :D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 01:12:08 PM by ray6969 »

Offline jf98

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 01:29:19 PM »

My first Luxury watch after University and first working as White Coller Worker is 2254.00.00 (Preowned at Grey Market). I still affection with this Omega, but Ploprof is legendary and different of aficionado watch geek.  :D

2254 is nice...personally prefer the older style sword hands than the current skeleton ones. Especially since they made it in 36mm last time, perfect for smaller wrists.

But out of all the watches you mentioned, i would probably get a used Starbucks since it's for daily wear. I feel the Hulk price is still too inflated now, plus the green sunburst dial is quite flashy to wear daily. As for the Offshore Diver....I feel that it does not suit small wrists at all because of the 54+mm lug to lug and thickness. Even if it was for occasional wear, still feels very chunky on the wrist. My wrist is around 16cm, quite small too and I can say the Offshore was not comfortable for me but your mileage may vary. Also not to mention the service costs for AP when it is due...  :Startled:

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2022, 01:50:28 PM »

2254 is nice...personally prefer the older style sword hands than the current skeleton ones. Especially since they made it in 36mm last time, perfect for smaller wrists.

But out of all the watches you mentioned, i would probably get a used Starbucks since it's for daily wear. I feel the Hulk price is still too inflated now, plus the green sunburst dial is quite flashy to wear daily. As for the Offshore Diver....I feel that it does not suit small wrists at all because of the 54+mm lug to lug and thickness. Even if it was for occasional wear, still feels very chunky on the wrist. My wrist is around 16cm, quite small too and I can say the Offshore was not comfortable for me but your mileage may vary. Also not to mention the service costs for AP when it is due...  :Startled:

Thanks brothers, I agree with you. Lots of think need to consider especially service cost/casual wear/dressy wear/ comfortable/ personal taste/ high quality watchmaking/ Unique craftsmanship.

Offline swleong

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2022, 04:27:43 PM »
All lovely but hyped watches you selected, I personally will not pay the extra 40k ~ 50k from retail price unless my life depends on it.

However, if I have that 80k to 90k on hyped watches, I will look for Blancpain FF Mil-Spec or Barakuda.  :thumbsup:

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2022, 04:43:41 PM »
All lovely but hyped watches you selected, I personally will not pay the extra 40k ~ 50k from retail price unless my life depends on it.

However, if I have that 80k to 90k on hyped watches, I will look for Blancpain FF Mil-Spec or Barakuda. 
Thanks brothers, I did thinking of that. But sometime my logic mind (head) says keep with rollie but my heart nonstop of AP. I need think carefully or just saving money on other things and keep waiting in Authorized Dealer (AD).

A years before I did pass at AD with model that I don't want, maybe wrong or stupid thing that I did. Myb any sports watch is really on demand or just for VVIP? (Ofcoz with the bling2 thing)

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk

Offline dpkong

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2022, 07:43:31 PM »

just noticed you still kept the stickers wrap on?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2022, 07:52:35 PM »

If you think your wrist size can't take a BP FF then you definitely won't be able to take the AP ROO diver models. The BP is on a strap which bend down easily whereas AP angled lugs mean you do need a reasonably sized wrist to wear one. The 43mm Bathyscape is much smaller sized than a 42mm ROO.

And if a diver is what you want, don't settle for a dress watch.

For the luxury brands, Omega diver is the cheapest at retail, followed by JLC, ROLEX, BP then AP..

Can also consider the Tudor ones. Anything above 100m water resistance is sufficient for daily use. Anything more is just luxury..

I guess you really need to decide on the brands you want to acquire then look into which model suits you.

But I definitely do not think the 30-50k premium over retail for a ROLEX is worth it no matter how convincing the investment angle may seem like.

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2022, 08:14:59 AM »

If you think your wrist size can't take a BP FF then you definitely won't be able to take the AP ROO diver models. The BP is on a strap which bend down easily whereas AP angled lugs mean you do need a reasonably sized wrist to wear one. The 43mm Bathyscape is much smaller sized than a 42mm ROO.

And if a diver is what you want, don't settle for a dress watch.

For the luxury brands, Omega diver is the cheapest at retail, followed by JLC, ROLEX, BP then AP..

Can also consider the Tudor ones. Anything above 100m water resistance is sufficient for daily use. Anything more is just luxury..

I guess you really need to decide on the brands you want to acquire then look into which model suits you.

But I definitely do not think the 30-50k premium over retail for a ROLEX is worth it no matter how convincing the investment angle may seem like.

Thanks brothers for the input and suggestion, i agreed with you.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline jf98

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2022, 06:19:38 PM »
Just updating for you...Starbucks already below RM80k.

https://www.chrono24.my/rolex/---126610lv------id24186258.htm

Offline justinbaka

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2022, 07:17:43 PM »
A Blancpain Fifty Fanthoms actually wears smaller than the 45mm it suggests. However, it will still be larger than a 42mm. Maybe another diver for consideration will be the Glashutte Original Sea Q?

But since your heart beating non-stop for an AP.. I think the matter is settled no?  ;)

Offline cypher_yan

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2022, 12:54:53 AM »
A Blancpain Fifty Fanthoms actually wears smaller than the 45mm it suggests. However, it will still be larger than a 42mm. Maybe another diver for consideration will be the Glashutte Original Sea Q?

But since your heart beating non-stop for an AP.. I think the matter is settled no?  ;)
pls try the AP diver urself b4 pulling the trigger. AP are generally unfriendly for small wrist size wearer and on top of that pls also consider the service and maintenance cost of AP is highest among a the brands u listed. Hope my 2 cents helps. Cheers~~

Offline treasureplanetmy

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2022, 08:18:50 AM »
I think Omega or Tudor would kind of be your best bet for your budget range. Try looking preowned as well. Always can secure value from pre owned watches.