Author Topic: Humidity and storing Watch Boxes  (Read 6885 times)

Offline unkaleong

Humidity and storing Watch Boxes
« on: August 01, 2022, 07:18:26 AM »
I keep my watch boxes in a cupboard. When I needed to access my warranty card for one of my watches, I found that humidity was doing a number on my watch boxes :(

I was wondering how you all store your watch boxes? I am thinking of buying a dry box to store my watch boxes. Anyone here store their watch boxes in a dry box?

Offline bulletnos

Re: Humidity and storing Watch Boxes
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 08:07:43 AM »
Try using a dehumidifier in those cupboards..."Thirsty Hippo" or those from Aeon / Daiso...you have to change regularly once filled up though.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 08:28:16 AM »
this is one reason why I've been thinking about getting rid of some boxes.. they won't last and not much use after taking the watch out

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 03:41:18 PM »
which is kinda a shame though isn't it? some of the packaging these watches came in r themselves lovely works of art. mcm rugi la jugak...im thinking i ought to repurpose the boxes i have to some extent, rather than worry too much about preserving them for a supposed aftersale

Offline unkaleong

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 06:52:16 AM »
Try using a dehumidifier in those cupboards..."Thirsty Hippo" or those from Aeon / Daiso...you have to change regularly once filled up though.

Yar, there's a thirsty Hippo in the cupboard already. Didn't change it out  :'(

this is one reason why I've been thinking about getting rid of some boxes.. they won't last and not much use after taking the watch out

Boxes are kept for the off chance that I choose to resell the watches.

which is kinda a shame though isn't it? some of the packaging these watches came in r themselves lovely works of art. mcm rugi la jugak...im thinking i ought to repurpose the boxes i have to some extent, rather than worry too much about preserving them for a supposed aftersale

Got to love the fluffy pillows that the watch comes strapped in  :D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 11:29:28 AM »

Yar, there's a thirsty Hippo in the cupboard already. Didn't change it out  :'(

Boxes are kept for the off chance that I choose to resell the watches.

Got to love the fluffy pillows that the watch comes strapped in  :D

unlikely I'd ever have to sell any and I don't think a buyer would like a dilapidated box especially those from the R brand..

Offline jf98

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 03:09:53 PM »
I store all of my boxes in another large cardboard box with some silica gel sachets. Recently sold one of my watches and discovered the PU on the inside was peeling already. So i guess that didn’t work for me. Would appreciate any other ideas too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline unkaleong

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 03:18:06 PM by unkaleong »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 06:04:19 PM »
does keeping it dry like that actually help prevent the PU parts from "melting" ?

Offline unkaleong

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 07:17:35 AM »
does keeping it dry like that actually help prevent the PU parts from "melting" ?

It will help, but will need to diligently monitor the desiccant.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 08:05:05 AM »

It will help, but will need to diligently monitor the desiccant.

not sure the cost and effort is worth the value of the box you're trying to save

Offline Henry T

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 11:42:31 AM »
My Omega box from 2005.  ;D

Offline ohlian

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 03:14:14 PM »
last time stay condo,
my year 200x Breitling box and omega red watch box also happen the same even i already put the dehumidifier powder into the wardrobe.
already give up, no idea how to settle it. ??? ??? ???

until i move to terrace, only issue solved.

Offline nielyee

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 06:10:04 PM »
Isn't terrace house more humid? Or maybe depends on the area also.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 08:20:15 PM »
maybe can try keeping them in a big plastic box - sealed? havent tried...i just simpan all in my cupboard... :Praying:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 09:25:14 PM »
maybe can try keeping them in a big plastic box - sealed? havent tried...i just simpan all in my cupboard... :Praying:

is it the moisture that is destroying the boxes or just age?

basically, we're dealing with the fake leather (PU) and suede or other cloth material that is used

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 05:58:30 AM »

is it the moisture that is destroying the boxes or just age?

basically, we're dealing with the fake leather (PU) and suede or other cloth material that is used

I think some - a combination. My Panerai “suede” interior has disintegrated…but the Rolex boxes’ faux leather still holds up after all these years…

Offline dpkong

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 07:38:14 AM »

this one reason why I'm considering selling boxes so that I don't have to deal with them... free up space AND get extra money for more watches

Offline ohlian

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2022, 10:43:54 AM »

this one reason why I'm considering selling boxes so that I don't have to deal with them... free up space AND get extra money for more watches

how if the next time if u want to flip ur watch?
so will only watch and the warranty card?

Offline unkaleong

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2022, 11:15:59 AM »
Isn't terrace house more humid? Or maybe depends on the area also.

Only makes a difference if you are living coastal area I think...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2022, 11:24:21 AM »

no point include a rotting box don't you think? I don't see the value in it and if really want to sell, maybe better to go buy a nice new box

Offline ohlian

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2022, 12:15:47 PM »

no point include a rotting box don't you think? I don't see the value in it and if really want to sell, maybe better to go buy a nice new box

okok. got point also.  :D

Offline justinbaka

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2022, 12:09:02 PM »
I think it's really your luck. I've kept my boxes in cupboards without much care and the box and it's inside PU still in good condition. The boxes are from Tudor and Frederique Constant.

Offline DonFlamingo

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2022, 10:45:31 AM »
I read a few tips & tricks about storing sneakers might help. Never put moisture absorber anywhere near what your storing, because it'll suck the life out of the thing your trying to keep. The peeling of the faux leather is because of the overly dry condition, that's why we never see small gel packets in new shoe boxes. But if the room is very humid then it's a whole other conversation.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2022, 07:57:56 AM »
I read a few tips & tricks about storing sneakers might help. Never put moisture absorber anywhere near what your storing, because it'll suck the life out of the thing your trying to keep. The peeling of the faux leather is because of the overly dry condition, that's why we never see small gel packets in new shoe boxes. But if the room is very humid then it's a whole other conversation.

interesting...maybe need to monitor humidity like Piano...hahaha

Honestly, I think even with reasonable effort, it is hard to keep the box/lining in pristine condition, especially if the materials used are not designed to last.  :HammerHead:

Eg. Lining for the Panerai velvet material is now disintegrating (>10years) into powdery material, ORIS F1 rubber outer layer is melting, JLC I've seen even new boxes inner faux leather lining peeling (the SA almost gave me one, and I requested for a change!), IWC inner faux leather peels, and the list goes on.

Good ones: So far, my Rolex boxes and lining has been holding up really nice though. And My Seiko 5 and GShock boxes and lining are also still rocking it!  hahaha  :Laughing_on_floor: