Author Topic: Luxury watch market CRASH or TURBULENCE!??  (Read 8068 times)

Offline Squirty

• Freshie
Re: Luxury watch market CRASH or TURBULENCE!??
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2022, 11:38:16 AM »
Can already start to see some Rolex prices dropping in the secondary/grey market… now we wait…

really? I just saw a post of white dial ceramic Daytona selling for RM240k few days ago? It was in sub RM200k few weeks ago.

The grey can put whatever price they like, reality is no people is buying it, it went from RM268k down to 230k, in fact i think i even saw RM218k.. and yet it is still unsold.

yep, do u think it will still tumble? i think it will stabilize around 200k where it has been for a long time.

Offline treasureplanetmy

• Freshie
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2022, 07:00:03 PM »
Loading bullets and hoping for the crash.

Offline bc40

• Freshie
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2022, 08:33:00 AM »
i think this is a good time to pick up some good brands like ap, patek, rolex. eapecially the discontinued ones

Offline dpkong

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2022, 07:19:54 PM »

so.. some weeks later and prices are still steadily declining.. grey dealers are sweating.. how low will it go?

Offline jf98

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2022, 03:33:44 AM »
Not too sure with the latest announcement of Rolex CPO. Any idea if that will be implemented here? Our market seems quite small for any of the ADs to do it

Offline dpkong

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2022, 06:10:44 AM »
Not too sure with the latest announcement of Rolex CPO. Any idea if that will be implemented here? Our market seems quite small for any of the ADs to do it

I doubt the CPO programme will have any effect on actually pushing the prices up or down.. it will simply follow market prices set by the much larger grey dealer network. Certification may be more appealing to some buyers but I doubt the majority really care if they're buying from a regular dealer they are familiar with.

I think certification is just a fee the RSC will charge to any independent dealer who brings a watch to them for checking an/or servicing.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2022, 06:44:24 PM »
Can already start to see some Rolex prices dropping in the secondary/grey market… now we wait…

really? I just saw a post of white dial ceramic Daytona selling for RM240k few days ago? It was in sub RM200k few weeks ago.

The grey can put whatever price they like, reality is no people is buying it, it went from RM268k down to 230k, in fact i think i even saw RM218k.. and yet it is still unsold.

yep, do u think it will still tumble? i think it will stabilize around 200k where it has been for a long time.

Cant help but look at this quote...now White Ceramic Daytona is selling around RM130k+...not sure about actual traded value...

How the prices have fallen...

As for the Rolex CPO program...I just wonder, who is going to feed the used units to them to resell at below RSP? Takkan Rolex themselves goreng second hand prices...LOL

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2022, 08:51:18 AM »
They've been missing out on so much sweet aftermarket double triple price action  ;D.

"Well sir, unfortunately we don't have any brand new in stock for u, but if u direct ur attention here to our certified pre-owned section, we have an excellent selection of pieces in a variety of colors, all in excellent near mint condition (read: unworn bnib) and at just a modest premium"

Offline revvd

• Freshie
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2022, 11:28:57 AM »
Putting my money at this scenario: there's going to be no stock as well for the CPO. As the VIPs or grey would still buy them all up. Just to maintain spend/relations + resell  :Dancing_banana:

Offline HawkreiN

• Freshie
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2022, 08:24:46 PM »
They've been missing out on so much sweet aftermarket double triple price action  ;D.

"Well sir, unfortunately we don't have any brand new in stock for u, but if u direct ur attention here to our certified pre-owned section, we have an excellent selection of pieces in a variety of colors, all in excellent near mint condition (read: unworn bnib) and at just a modest premium"

I can see that happening. As far as supply and demand, I believe that its a turbulance at the moment and for Rolex models, demand will still outweigh supply. Hence, their pre-owned collection will almost certainly be at a premium, perhaps even compared to some grey market sellers.

Or even worse, another way to continuously inflate market prices...

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2022, 06:44:34 AM »
Rolex is the most famous watch brand in the world, but it's almost invisible at the annual "Oscars" of watchmaking.

The Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Geneve (GPHG) is the equivalent of the Academy Awards for designers, engineers, watchmakers, and the business professionals that populate the watch industry. But Rolex watches never take the stage in Geneva on awards night. This episode discusses Rolex's reasons for avoiding the awards and focuses the spotlight on standout watches that won big at the GPHG.

One of the most commonly asked questions about the GPHG is "why wasn't a Rolex nominated for any category?" Given the fame, success, and marketplace dominance of watches like Rolex Submariner, Rolex Daytona, and Rolex GMT Master II, it's logical to ask why none of these A-list names appear at the Oscars of watchmaking.

Since the first GPHG edition in 2001, the wristwatch and clock awards ceremony has gained momentum befitting the biggest night in watchmaking. Entry into the GPHG Academy is coveted by industry insiders. Timepiece pre-selections are closely watched and considered so important that even a nomination can form the basis for a promotional campaign by a watch brand. Actual awards like the Aiguille d'Or, Special Jury Prize, and Men's Watch Prize are regarded as the equivalent of "Best Picture," "Best Director," or "Best Actor" at the Oscars.

Rolex skips the GPHG because it has nothing to gain and potentially some measure of reputation to lose. The governors of Rolex understand that their band name occupies a position of unassailable esteem, recognition, and demand. Simply competing with other luxury watch brands would be a tacit acceptance that other watches can, indeed, be compared to Rolex. An actual loss to a competitor would strip the sheen of invincibility that Rolex enjoys in the marketplace.

Moreover, Rolex watches cannot be nominated for any GPHG category because brands first must permit their watches to be nominated and entered. No matter how competitive a Rolex watch might be for a given award category, Rolex itself has the last word on its presence in the year's GPHG.

However, Rolex is more relaxed about the participation of Tudor, its junior brand. Tudor watches regularly compete against segment rivals at the GPHG. In addition to a large number of nominations and category wins, Tudor captured the "Dive Watch" prize as recently as 2022 with its military themed Pelagos FXD.

All of this plus watch collector wrist shots will be featured in this episode of "Watches Tonight!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bx11kgpco

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2022, 01:11:52 PM »
Have read comments from other forums that prices of CPO Rolex so far are slightly higher than the current market value. Not sure if the additional warranty warrants this slight premium over the prices in grey market dealers.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2022, 08:19:51 AM »
Rolex is the most famous watch brand in the world, but it's almost invisible at the annual "Oscars" of watchmaking.

The Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Geneve (GPHG) is the equivalent of the Academy Awards for designers, engineers, watchmakers, and the business professionals that populate the watch industry. But Rolex watches never take the stage in Geneva on awards night. This episode discusses Rolex's reasons for avoiding the awards and focuses the spotlight on standout watches that won big at the GPHG.

One of the most commonly asked questions about the GPHG is "why wasn't a Rolex nominated for any category?" Given the fame, success, and marketplace dominance of watches like Rolex Submariner, Rolex Daytona, and Rolex GMT Master II, it's logical to ask why none of these A-list names appear at the Oscars of watchmaking.

Since the first GPHG edition in 2001, the wristwatch and clock awards ceremony has gained momentum befitting the biggest night in watchmaking. Entry into the GPHG Academy is coveted by industry insiders. Timepiece pre-selections are closely watched and considered so important that even a nomination can form the basis for a promotional campaign by a watch brand. Actual awards like the Aiguille d'Or, Special Jury Prize, and Men's Watch Prize are regarded as the equivalent of "Best Picture," "Best Director," or "Best Actor" at the Oscars.

Rolex skips the GPHG because it has nothing to gain and potentially some measure of reputation to lose. The governors of Rolex understand that their band name occupies a position of unassailable esteem, recognition, and demand. Simply competing with other luxury watch brands would be a tacit acceptance that other watches can, indeed, be compared to Rolex. An actual loss to a competitor would strip the sheen of invincibility that Rolex enjoys in the marketplace.

Moreover, Rolex watches cannot be nominated for any GPHG category because brands first must permit their watches to be nominated and entered. No matter how competitive a Rolex watch might be for a given award category, Rolex itself has the last word on its presence in the year's GPHG.

However, Rolex is more relaxed about the participation of Tudor, its junior brand. Tudor watches regularly compete against segment rivals at the GPHG. In addition to a large number of nominations and category wins, Tudor captured the "Dive Watch" prize as recently as 2022 with its military themed Pelagos FXD.

All of this plus watch collector wrist shots will be featured in this episode of "Watches Tonight!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bx11kgpco

nothing to do with crash or turbulence..

ROLEX the watchmaker is not in GPHG because they're just making robust, reliable tool watches and not "haute" pieces.

Buyers are the ones who elevate it to the current status and try to pitch it against the likes of PP, AP, VC

Slightly more than 10 years ago, pieces like the 16570 Explorer 2 were priced below RM20k and used pieces were just around RM10k or less. All grey dealers were selling new pieces (except for the all steel Daytona) far below RRP and usually at a better discount than AD.

The market created the market that it is today and the market can destroy it although not as easily.

Offline qhy500

• Freshie
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2023, 12:57:26 PM »
Agree the market created itself, I think its really just a turbulence due to the recession, but I don't think we'll ever go back to the good old days 'accessible' Rolex prices. Even with the recession, many are still wealthy and buy these watches as 'investments' or just for fun to keep, like rich people buying paintings