Author Topic: Vintage Omega  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Mavkjay

Vintage Omega
« on: June 17, 2022, 12:36:45 PM »
Chance upon this vintage Omega recently. Probably belongs to my grandfather.

Any idea how should I get more info on this watch and how should I proceed to service it? Will Omega accept to service/restore it?

I saw that Omega has the Archive Extract service from their website, but this timepiece doesn't have it's serial number anywhere visible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Offline vinodh

• Freshie
Re: Vintage Omega
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 05:05:18 PM »
Hi Mavkjay,

Looks great! Couple of tips: (1) don't polish it because you will loose the sharpness of the edges and case integrity (it will only stay shiny from the polishing briefly anyway); (2) don't wash it because you can never be sure about an old watch's water resistance; (3) don't worry about the age spotting and general deterioration -- that's its charm.

Just get it serviced at a vintage watch guy (for example @watchrepairkualalumpur on ig). During servicing ask them to fill in the details for your extract. The serial number should be inside the back case. You should get a quote first if it is not currently running.

I had tried to track down my own grandfather's watch, but too late! my relatives had donated it to charity. So congratulations also on having a family that knows the value of an heirloom.

Offline Mavkjay

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 10:55:09 PM »
Hi Mavkjay,

Looks great! Couple of tips: (1) don't polish it because you will loose the sharpness of the edges and case integrity (it will only stay shiny from the polishing briefly anyway); (2) don't wash it because you can never be sure about an old watch's water resistance; (3) don't worry about the age spotting and general deterioration -- that's its charm.

Just get it serviced at a vintage watch guy (for example @watchrepairkualalumpur on ig). During servicing ask them to fill in the details for your extract. The serial number should be inside the back case. You should get a quote first if it is not currently running.

I had tried to track down my own grandfather's watch, but too late! my relatives had donated it to charity. So congratulations also on having a family that knows the value of an heirloom.
Thanks for your advice bro. Planning to bring it into Omega for a quote. Expecting it to be exorbitant though.. thereafter will probably look for other watchmakers..

Let's see what omega says 1st..

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Offline nielyee

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 06:48:34 PM »
I recently sent a 15 year old Omega that was not running to Omega at Gardens Mall for a service and was quoted RM2,300 for the service. I was lucky that the only issue was a lack of service, so your mileage may vary. But the guys at the Gardens Mall were super friendly and helpful.

Offline rainbowfix01

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 09:55:20 AM »
Hi, nice one... just from my observation, bracelet is White Gold and watch head is missing a bezel and maybe a second hand too... most probably the watch head is white gold... can only be confirmed when we open the case back to check for gold stamping.

Best regards
Kk

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline treasureplanetmy

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 08:01:49 AM »
Very nice. I would have it serviced outside. Can check out amcorp mall to see who can take on it.