Author Topic: New is better or Old is Gold?  (Read 5646 times)

Offline agbyee

New is better or Old is Gold?
« on: November 22, 2021, 04:07:24 PM »
A side by side comparison between the current day 36mm vs a vintage 36mm Datejust. The older model will be the favourite for those who like the Half Gold Datejust look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kesharoo

Re: New is better or Old is Gold?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 10:20:32 AM »
My choices would be the 16014 and 16013 series, fast change of date with acrylic crystal.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 11:23:06 AM »
older 36mm Datejust has some very nice dials. Not that the new ones are bad though. I can tolerate the stamped clasps but the hollow endlinks I do not like.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 07:36:37 PM »
Vintage for me.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 08:01:12 AM »
Saya boleh tengok gambar saja, masuk kedai semua kosong   :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 10:36:04 AM »
All Ss looks like a tool watch to me…

Watches with touch of gold looks really expensive

Offline Squirty

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 11:51:12 AM »
if i had the money, id definitely be collecting the vintage day dates.

Offline DaytonaS

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 09:24:08 PM »
Old is gold but not two tone unless you don’t mind being labelled as “uncle” 😊

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 09:03:31 PM »
The way I see it, we'll all end up in the 2 tone category la eventually

But hey, linen dials are pretty damned fine looking  :laugh:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 09:03:37 AM »
The way I see it, we'll all end up in the 2 tone category la eventually

But hey, linen dials are pretty damned fine looking  :laugh:

agreed! the Day Dates are nice but all gold gets too boring too quickly.. unless maybe white gold

two tone is the way to go..

bingo on the linen dials as well but too bad they don't have it on the newer bracelet/clasp combo

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 09:52:17 AM »
Do they still allow dial swaps ka these days? I recall back in the day it was possible to ask to swap dials for a premium during servicing

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 11:23:06 AM »
Do they still allow dial swaps ka these days? I recall back in the day it was possible to ask to swap dials for a premium during servicing

I dont think so...they will follow the original combo based on the reference number. I wouldn't mind a green ceramic bezel on my 40mm sub no date...hehehehe

Offline dpkong

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2022, 07:56:36 PM »

I dont think so...they will follow the original combo based on the reference number. I wouldn't mind a green ceramic bezel on my 40mm sub no date...hehehehe

going a little off-topic but to answer the question, I was told RSC can swap dials at a cost but you don't get to keep the older dial and not all dial options will be given..  for eg.

Explorer 2 you can swap white <-> black
Sky Dweller you can swap white <-> black but white/black <-> blue option is not allowed

I don't think Submariner green bezel is an available option for any non LV model but I'm sure you can get from China

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2022, 07:58:19 AM »
Ah ok, so its limited to the model range n code... Looks like my dreams of a meteorite dialed explorer II is never gonna happen 😅 wouldn't mind a green bezeled, black dialed sub either 🤣

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2022, 11:18:50 AM »

going a little off-topic but to answer the question, I was told RSC can swap dials at a cost but you don't get to keep the older dial and not all dial options will be given..  for eg.

Explorer 2 you can swap white <-> black
Sky Dweller you can swap white <-> black but white/black <-> blue option is not allowed

I don't think Submariner green bezel is an available option for any non LV model but I'm sure you can get from China

Thanks man, this is good info! Wah Explorer II can swap.... :Praying:  maybe i should call them one day and ask roughly how much...the RSC folks i think ban me liow with my repeat visits there...lol  :P

China bezels? No thank you for me.  :HammerHead:  ;D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2022, 09:25:52 PM »

Thanks man, this is good info! Wah Explorer II can swap.... :Praying:  maybe i should call them one day and ask roughly how much...the RSC folks i think ban me liow with my repeat visits there...lol  :P

IIRC, SkyD black to white swap was about RM8k.. is it worth it?

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2022, 10:10:19 PM »

IIRC, SkyD black to white swap was about RM8k.. is it worth it?

And we dont get to keep the dial? Not worth the money. Anyway, the model reference will be different too. Just have to get another watch la.  ;D

Offline bc40

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2022, 08:21:01 AM »
Eventually the older versions will be too outdated aesthethically for it to be worth much or for your kids to like wearing it

Online Rex

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2022, 10:49:19 AM »
Old is Gold, LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2022, 02:49:24 PM »
Gold is much more grown-up , with a touch of vintage..

How U can carry it really depends on your age…(can’t expect a 20+ on TT, 40+ would be nice)

Offline avaxis

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 03:36:40 PM »
Old is gold, but I really do not like that Linen dial. If the photo comparison was apples to apples, the responses will be different.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2023, 08:04:17 AM »
I came across this idea of a "birth-year watch" and have been looking at watches around the time of my birth date, its interesting la tbh. I realized early on that I'm not much of a vintage fan  (or even gold for that matter), but having this artificial constraint imposed on my viewing lens makes me a bit more appreciative of old skool builds, designs, dials etc.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2023, 10:21:12 AM »
I came across this idea of a "birth-year watch" and have been looking at watches around the time of my birth date, its interesting la tbh. I realized early on that I'm not much of a vintage fan  (or even gold for that matter), but having this artificial constraint imposed on my viewing lens makes me a bit more appreciative of old skool builds, designs, dials etc.

I take this to mean that like me, you're a dinosaur born in the time of cases with pinholes, plexi glass and hollow bracelets. The dials then were nice but the rest of the package isn't too appealing. Plus the fluted bezels will now be polished so badly, they look like speed bumps on the road.

Toyed with the idea as well but eventually just forget about it especially now that hype has driven the prices to insane levels.

Offline avaxis

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2023, 11:58:28 AM »

I take this to mean that like me, you're a dinosaur born in the time of cases with pinholes, plexi glass and hollow bracelets. The dials then were nice but the rest of the package isn't too appealing. Plus the fluted bezels will now be polished so badly, they look like speed bumps on the road.

Toyed with the idea as well but eventually just forget about it especially now that hype has driven the prices to insane levels.

A DJ 16014 with WG bezel, that warm acrylic crystal, and if you're lucky a discontinued can't-buy-new tapestry dial. Doesn't look out of place this day and age. 37mm small? Nah. Gentleman's size if you ask me. And when it is a birth year watch, feels even more special.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2023, 10:20:50 AM »

i feel so #oldfags huhuhu....

but anyways!  :laugh:  ya la the prices have been hyping up something silly unfortunately. as always, crown brand will end up making me look elsewhere  :laugh: