Author Topic: Blow the dust of the collection  (Read 3954 times)

Offline scannee

• Freshie
Blow the dust of the collection
« on: May 15, 2021, 02:02:45 AM »
With 15 months of no business meetings, there are cobwebs in the watch collection.

Gave it a spring clean, along with business pens.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 02:04:35 AM by scannee »
Difficult, difficult, lemon, difficult

Offline pleasuresaurus

Re: Blow the dust of the collection
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 10:16:25 AM »
Kesian all the watch kena social distancing  :laugh: nice ensemble mate

Offline adriangsc

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 11:24:23 AM »
Thumb up good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 12:24:47 PM »
Thank you for sharing your collection. That is a serious one you've got there.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 09:24:27 PM »

Curious as to the direction of your collection.. it's here, there and sideways....

Awesome pens too

Offline scannee

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 11:10:49 PM »

Curious as to the direction of your collection.. it's here, there and sideways....

Awesome pens too

Well caught, I guess it’s best described as me growing up a little, and work bonuses being kinder.

I was 14 in 1999 and convinced myself from the £1.75 a day I earned delivering papers in horizontal wind and rain, I could buy the cheapest Tag Heuer - at that point a £275 F1 quartz. So had to find one, I really wanted a Tag CA1212 however they are tricky to find.

My first real watch was the blue aquaracer I bought of my first career pay check post uni, it’s still a nice wear, I hit my dad and brother matching ones also (a watch is a watch to them).

If you seen Goldeneye at 9 years old, a blue seamaster was a must in the adult toy list, I picked that up here impulsively.

Orange plannet oceans are a fairly usual purchase in the UK for early year collections as 2nd or third watches, the Ploprof was a new level of ridiculous last year and a spur of the moment birthday purchase from bed to distract myself from getting old, and UPS is only a 4 day shipment cycle from the USA.

It was Rolex heavy, a 116718 included which was ridiculous but fun, I started to move to Vacheron then most recently a Patek, for work wear.

It needs an AP, and probably another Deepsea- it fitted like a glove. My omega soft spot has me looking for a Aquaterra GMT worldtime too, after a Patek worldtime looked like a toy on my wrist size.

Asia is great for larger models as they don’t seem in vogue here, the Railmaster XXL was a random purchase, love at first sight a few years ago however impossible to find in the UK, then I found one locally in KL one day.

The pens have a bit more relevance, each time I published a paper through my career I would buy one from a bonus paid, nice nostalgia.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 11:14:51 PM by scannee »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 08:57:38 PM »

Awesome pens too

Well caught, I guess it’s best described as me growing up a little, and work bonuses being kinder.

I was 14 in 1999 and convinced myself from the £1.75 a day I earned delivering papers in horizontal wind and rain, I could buy the cheapest Tag Heuer - at that point a £275 F1 quartz. So had to find one, I really wanted a Tag CA1212 however they are tricky to find.

My first real watch was the blue aquaracer I bought of my first career pay check post uni, it’s still a nice wear, I hit my dad and brother matching ones also (a watch is a watch to them).

If you seen Goldeneye at 9 years old, a blue seamaster was a must in the adult toy list, I picked that up here impulsively.

Orange plannet oceans are a fairly usual purchase in the UK for early year collections as 2nd or third watches, the Ploprof was a new level of ridiculous last year and a spur of the moment birthday purchase from bed to distract myself from getting old, and UPS is only a 4 day shipment cycle from the USA.

It was Rolex heavy, a 116718 included which was ridiculous but fun, I started to move to Vacheron then most recently a Patek, for work wear.

It needs an AP, and probably another Deepsea- it fitted like a glove. My omega soft spot has me looking for a Aquaterra GMT worldtime too, after a Patek worldtime looked like a toy on my wrist size.

Asia is great for larger models as they don’t seem in vogue here, the Railmaster XXL was a random purchase, love at first sight a few years ago however impossible to find in the UK, then I found one locally in KL one day.

The pens have a bit more relevance, each time I published a paper through my career I would buy one from a bonus paid, nice nostalgia.

ahh.. so they are all markers for life's milestones. I guess that makes some sense..

most people sharing watch collections are monotonous so this is a refreshing post.

Offline scannee

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 09:22:57 PM »
Each comes from some memory or perception, usually from my teens. An uncle left a Tag Aquaracer after staying for the weekend, it was beautiful to a 12 year old, so there’s an affinity to the late 90’s and early 2000’s Tag’s.

I used to buy when I got a promotion or landed a new project, that was a little sterile. So starting finding more peculiar pieces that link back to early perceptions etc.

I was disappointed when I got my first Milgauss, it felt too light and like a toy, it was an aspirational watch. A 115623 rolesor was disappointing. I crashed a moped in Bali with a 114060 on that had then a mid case replacement and I regret selling that, and a batgirl was nice for a while, just not 65k RM nice to keep.

I have my eye on an old Tag WS2110, most have corrosion on the hands at this age, however my first watch I bought as a 6 year old (Argos for £19.99 in 1991) was a mix of a submariner (Mercedes hands) and the bezel from a Tag WS2110.

A Breitling Chronmat A30012 is in my watched list too, the yellow cockpit chronograph. As a student I worked holidays and weekends as a chef back home in the UK, and always admired Gordon Ramsay’s, when learning from his work (3 star chef is a beautiful photo book). So it sticks out as one to find too.

I’m just glad EBay gives easy reach to find older and more rare pieces.

This got some time today, it’s ludicrous, however is the initial Indonesia version from a decade ago, so has an Asia link. I wear them to make myself smile, a lot of collegues wear a Rolex like some validation piece, they would put it on a ribbon around their neck if they could

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:37:42 PM by scannee »

Offline XuinTan

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 02:42:01 PM »
Awesome collection
Seems like the watch box can’t fit your big watches