Author Topic: Rolex Skydweller (blue/black dial)  (Read 8449 times)

Offline limpehkoh

Rolex Skydweller (blue/black dial)
« on: May 09, 2021, 05:00:26 PM »
Hi all, just curious if anyone here actually successfully purchase Skydweller(blue/black dial) from official AD.

I have been asking few shops for awhile, the answer is always, waiting list, register for interest list, etc.

Also, I don’t really understand how AD works either. I purchased few pieces of Date-Just before but still not able to get a sport model yet (I was trying to buy a GMT2 Pepsi/no date-submariner; so far so fail).

It’s seems like Skydweller is close to no chance to get from AD. I am actually considering to purchase from Grey Market but I am not familiar with Malaysia situation. Any recommendations dealer/shops ?

*prices must be crazy at grey market, right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 11:32:41 PM by limpehkoh »

Offline RyanLiang

• Freshie
Re: Rolex Skydweller (blue/black dial)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:08:19 PM »
Hi all, just curious if anyone here actually successfully purchase Skydweller(blue/black dial) from official AD.

I have been asking few shops for awhile, the answer is always, waiting list, register for interest list, etc.

Also, I don’t really understand how AD works either. I purchased few pieces of Just-Date before but still not able to get a sport model yet (I was trying to buy a GMT2 Pepsi/no date-submariner; so far so fail).

It’s seems like Skydweller is close to no chance to get from AD. I am actually considering to purchase from Grey Market but I am not familiar with Malaysia situation. Any recommendations dealer/shops ?

I think you have to be Vvvip to purchase Sky Dweller from Rolex AD. Each AD only get 2-3 Sky Dweller each year. Leser than Daytona.

If you really like it, just buy from grey market.
Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline limpehkoh

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 08:30:19 PM »

Also, I don’t really understand how AD works either. I purchased few pieces of Just-Date before but still not able to get a sport model yet (I was trying to buy a GMT2 Pepsi/no date-submariner; so far so fail).

I think you have to be Vvvip to purchase Sky Dweller from Rolex AD. Each AD only get 2-3 Sky Dweller each year. Leser than Daytona.

If you really like it, just buy from grey market.
Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
Any grey market recommendations? Penang and KL both places are fine for me.

Since it will be my first time go in touch with Grey market.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 12:56:49 AM »
If you've been a customer before and bought a few Datejusts, no reason the AD won't accommodate you for a sports model...

For Sky Dweller,  blue may be harder to get but white and black less so. Maybe if you asked for a two-tone/half-gold model of the Sky Dweller or Submariner you might get it faster.

Offline limpehkoh

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 06:14:43 AM »
If you've been a customer before and bought a few Datejusts, no reason the AD won't accommodate you for a sports model...

For Sky Dweller,  blue may be harder to get but white and black less so. Maybe if you asked for a two-tone/half-gold model of the Sky Dweller or Submariner you might get it faster.
That’s what I figured too, there’s no reason that AD dont match me up with a sport model (even a submariner is fine)….

One thing I forget to mention is that the original AD dealing with me had resigned, another guy took over my case, but he resigned as well.

Now a new AD is handling my case, I bought a new watch from her 6 months ago and asking for a sport model. But every now and then when I follow up, she said that I should buy one more Date-just before she able to recommend to HQ for me to get a sport model.

That’s why I said, I don’t understand how AD works….

*Total purchased from this same company (Through 3 different AD) 4 watches, non is sport model

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 10:58:58 AM »

That’s what I figured too, there’s no reason that AD dont match me up with a sport model (even a submariner is fine)….

One thing I forget to mention is that the original AD dealing with me had resigned, another guy took over my case, but he resigned as well.

Now a new AD is handling my case, I bought a new watch from her 6 months ago and asking for a sport model. But every now and then when I follow up, she said that I should buy one more Date-just before she able to recommend to HQ for me to get a sport model.

*Total purchased from this same company (Through 3 different AD) 4 watches, non is sport model

if same company, you should check your account number is the same for every purchase. You can also speak to the branch manager directly. I think you are confusing AD (authorised dealer)  with SA (sales assistant)... SA may resign but the AD doesn't and the branch manager usually the same unless caught doing naughty practices.

Generally, distribution of sport models is up to the branch manager except the really hot ones then maybe need to ask HQ. Why not get the half-gold Sky Dweller? Nicer than steel.

Offline W3ll

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »

All your purchases are Datejust and is stil a rolex, if those DJ are all steel it even makes more sense the salesperson won't bother submitting your name up to their manager for approval, instant reject..they want to look at customer who willing to spend on their other brands, not just Rolex..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 11:42:56 AM »

All your purchases are Datejust and is stil a rolex, if those DJ are all steel it even makes more sense the salesperson won't bother submitting your name up to their manager for approval, instant reject..they want to look at customer who willing to spend on their other brands, not just Rolex..

poppycock.. not true for every AD

Offline W3ll

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 11:50:55 AM »

I am more than willing to be enlighten which AD would gladly entertain our friend here

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 12:00:31 PM »

I am more than willing to be enlighten which AD would gladly entertain our friend here

the topic of buying a watch from AD has been discussed in many threads.

the only question he need to answer is "how are you going to convince the SA or manager that you're not one of those flippers supplying the grey market"

to be honest, supply of hot models are limited and why would anyone share the contact of a good AD and reduce chances of getting the coveted pieces

and even if I were to point you to an outlet, what's to say you're not going to walk out of the store with the new watch and head straight to a grey dealer for an easy 10/20/30k profit?

can't really blame some SA for asking a customer to buy other watches first.. they are after all selling many brands

Offline limpehkoh

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 12:13:41 PM »

the topic of buying a watch from AD has been discussed in many threads.

the only question he need to answer is "how are you going to convince the SA or manager that you're not one of those flippers supplying the grey market"

to be honest, supply of hot models are limited and why would anyone share the contact of a good AD and reduce chances of getting the coveted pieces

and even if I were to point you to an outlet, what's to say you're not going to walk out of the store with the new watch and head straight to a grey dealer for an easy 10/20/30k profit?

can't really blame some SA for asking a customer to buy other watches first.. they are after all selling many brands

Actually I am ok to buy other watches  before getting a sport model, it just that it seems like it’s not guaranteed especially when my AD was changed without me knowing.

I did tell my new AD that if she want me to buy new OP/DJ or whatever stock display in shop, I need a guarantee Pepsi or Skydweller tag along; but so far she always tell me to get DJ/OP first before she will recommend my name to HQ.

So just curious, is it always like that ? Or this only apply for SWG ? If I spend more and won’t even guarantee a sport model, then I might as well save up and buy from grey market.

*I think I am a bit off topic from my initial threat, but I am really curious how things work overall.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 12:20:25 PM »

Actually I am ok to buy other watches  before getting a sport model, it just that it seems like it’s not guaranteed especially when my AD was changed without me knowing.

I did tell my new AD that if she want me to buy new OP/DJ or whatever stock display in shop, I need a guarantee Pepsi or Skydweller tag along; but so far she always tell me to get DJ/OP first before she will recommend my name to HQ.

So just curious, is it always like that ? Or this only apply for SWG ? If I spend more and won’t even guarantee a sport model, then I might as well save up and buy from grey market.

*I think I am a bit off topic from my initial threat, but I am really curious how things work overall.

different people, different way of sales

I didn't have to buy anything or brand that I didn't want to

but no salesperson will dare to guarantee you a specific watch at a specific time or date as they won't know what they will receive from Rolex but if you're a regular customer and close to them, they can offer you one when they receive your desired piece

Offline W3ll

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 01:56:35 PM »

different people, different way of sales

I didn't have to buy anything or brand that I didn't want to

but no salesperson will dare to guarantee you a specific watch at a specific time or date as they won't know what they will receive from Rolex but if you're a regular customer and close to them, they can offer you one when they receive your desired piece

and how long was that ago ?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 10:17:03 PM »

and how long was that ago ?

getting a watch? last one on April 30th just before the price hike and before that early Dec 2020...

Offline apache0909

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 10:56:14 PM »

if same company, you should check your account number is the same for every purchase. You can also speak to the branch manager directly. I think you are confusing AD (authorised dealer)  with SA (sales assistant)... SA may resign but the AD doesn't and the branch manager usually the same unless caught doing naughty practices.

Generally, distribution of sport models is up to the branch manager except the really hot ones then maybe need to ask HQ. Why not get the half-gold Sky Dweller? Nicer than steel.

By steel, you mean the white gold + osytersteel? Or is there any full steel model of skydweller that Im not aware of?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 11:09:49 PM »

By steel, you mean the white gold + osytersteel? Or is there any full steel model of skydweller that Im not aware of?

Rolex fluted bezels are always gold. Only the smooth bezels are steel (or platinum on Day Dates).

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 06:31:07 AM »

Also, I don’t really understand how AD works either. I purchased few pieces of Date-Just before but still not able to get a sport model yet (I was trying to buy a GMT2 Pepsi/no date-submariner; so far so fail).

Even with purchase history, chances of getting Daytona or Sky-Dweller almost zero...

Pc like this best go grey ....

Offline limpehkoh

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 07:13:58 AM »

Even with purchase history, chances of getting Daytona or Sky-Dweller almost zero...

Welp. I guess time to save up then. Meantime, have to do more research on the grey, since I am not familiar and never bought one from it before.

Personally, I really like (love?) Skydweller design and will buy one when opportunity comes (if I ever see in retail shops).

*Other sport model is a bonus though, I’d still pick one Skydweller over many GMT/Sub/Daytona.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 09:22:03 AM »

To each his own... if you think it's worth it to pay the premium...

Welp. I guess time to save up then. Meantime, have to do more research on the grey, since I am not familiar and never bought one from it before.

Personally, I really like (love?) Skydweller design and will buy one when opportunity comes (if I ever see in retail shops).

*Other sport model is a bonus though, I’d still pick one Skydweller over many GMT/Sub/Daytona.

the steel model may be harder to get but the half gold models should be slightly easier.

If you don't already know, you can see Malaysian MSRP when you browse the rolex.com website where you can gauge how much premium the grey dealers are trying to squeeze you for.

And if it's the design that you like then you don't have to restrict yourself to the steel model.

Before the grey market craze, people only bought the steel models because they can't afford the more expensive half or full gold models. But now, you see grey price for steel is even more than the MSRP for half-gold.

And to buy from an AD, you need patience because the stock is limited. Asking for a specific delivery time will never work with them. You just need to communicate well with a good Ad and better still if the manager him/herself not with the ever changing sales assistants.

Good luck.. it's a great watch.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 09:40:54 AM »

the steel model may be harder to get but the half gold models should be slightly easier.

If you don't already know, you can see Malaysian MSRP when you browse the rolex.com website where you can gauge how much premium the grey dealers are trying to squeeze you for.

And if it's the design that you like then you don't have to restrict yourself to the steel model.

Before the grey market craze, people only bought the steel models because they can't afford the more expensive half or full gold models. But now, you see grey price for steel is even more than the MSRP for half-gold.

And to buy from an AD, you need patience because the stock is limited. Asking for a specific delivery time will never work with them. You just need to communicate well with a good Ad and better still if the manager him/herself not with the ever changing sales assistants.

I got this in TT months ago from my AD , it has been my grail since...a stunning watch..., much more useful that my Daytona..

Sdweller ...AD get 2-3 Pcs only per year....

I don’t do grey...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 09:45:47 AM »

I got this in TT months ago from my AD , it has been my grail since...a stunning watch..., much more useful that my Daytona..

Sdweller ...AD get 2-3 Pcs only per year....

I don’t do grey...

actually I was asking for a TT white dial but was offered steel black dial instead.. better than nothing..

Offline limpehkoh

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 10:08:44 AM »

envy. Congrats on getting the watch.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I shall keep that in mind.

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2021, 11:35:16 AM »
If I recall correctly Rolex produces less Sky-Dwellers as opposed to other models, as a result it is even more difficult to allocate than Daytonas and the GMTs.

If you decide to go grey, I personally recommend you go to the "Good Guys" Recommendation threads https://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php?board=11.0

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2021, 11:55:30 AM »
A Rolex factory tour by Hondikee mention only Daytona and Sky-Dweller watches are produced by Rolex Elite Department ...should be much lower output quantities compared to datejust...

Offline limpehkoh

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2021, 03:00:51 PM »
If I recall correctly Rolex produces less Sky-Dwellers as opposed to other models, as a result it is even more difficult to allocate than Daytonas and the GMTs.

If you decide to go grey, I personally recommend you go to the "Good Guys" Recommendation threads https://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php?board=11.0
Thanks dude.