Visit Malaysia Watch Forum's online store for luxury watches and fine timepieces.

Author Topic: Best way to ship from KL to Hong Kong?  (Read 3791 times)

Offline dranoel

Best way to ship from KL to Hong Kong?
« on: January 21, 2021, 01:55:47 PM »
What is the safest and most reliable way to ship from Kuala Lumpur to Hong Kong? I am in Hong Kong and bought two watches from a friend based in Kuala Lumpur last year. He was planning to visit HK to hand me the watches but given the pandemic this is not going to happen anytime soon.

The watches are worth USD 15k and USD 9k and so I am most concerned about safety, not speed. It is his first time shipping watches internationally so I am trying to find the safest and most reliable way for him to get the watches to me. I will probably ship the cheaper watch first to test things out, so I don't lose them both at once if something goes wrong.

1. Carrier - DHL seems to be recommended, any advice on which DHL shipping type you use?
2. Insurance - how to insure the watch? Some carriers won't insure if it's above a certain value, which leads me to...
3. Declaration - what should he declare it as?

I'd be thoroughly grateful if you can share your experience!

Offline dpkong

Re: Best way to ship from KL to Hong Kong?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 07:26:03 AM »
DHL or Fedex, with third-party insurance.

Declaration of value is between you and seller. Third party insurance usually doesn't care about declared value.

No personal experience shipping but this is how item was shipped to me from USA last time. T&C may have changed since that.