Poll

Would you apply watch protective films on your watch?

Yes
3 (17.6%)
No
12 (70.6%)
Maybe
1 (5.9%)
Depends on price
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Watch Protective Films  (Read 5831 times)

Offline bulletnos

Watch Protective Films
« on: December 25, 2020, 07:57:59 PM »
Hey Guys

I've been targeted with ads on watch protective films to help prevent scratches...

Would you use it? Any experience? Does it really help? Any side effects? Does it last?

Fire away...

Offline Gentlemen101

Re: Watch Protective Films
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 07:38:49 AM »
Wanted to do that but it costs rm800 everywhere ...

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 11:31:34 AM »
I thought I saw some brands selling in the region of rm350 -500...like Invisible-shield, Luxe Armor, RX8....

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 12:23:10 PM »
All these brand of coating costs rm800

Offline faizall

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 06:11:17 PM »
Wow. Pricey. Almost the same price as I use the ppf on my car front bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »
To be honest, I think it's silly.

Firstly, the cost is absurd, compared to a screen protector for a phone.

Secondly, the film makes the whole watch look tacky, like a fake watch. It spoils the effects of brushed and polished surfaces and very obvious on watches like AP.

Thirdly, the film is applied in such a way that it likely only protects against abrasions and casual rubbing on surfaces. You can still damage corners and sides if you bang it against something hard like handrails.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 08:01:39 AM »
From the first time I've been hearing about the stuff, I wonder, what is it about the film that's worth that much? The material itself?The psychological assurance that a beloved 904L osyster steel surface is somehow protected? The expertise needed to apply it onto a watch?  Some surgical procedures executed by far more capable hands cost less money than that  :P

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 04:08:18 PM »
I do wonder on the long-term effect these plastic films have on the watch though. Would it end up like the plastic on the back of older Rolex models which were not removed at purchase and worn over the years? Have seen the plastic on these Rolex-es shrink over the years leaving adhesive marks on the watch which are quite unsightly.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 05:33:38 PM »
I’d be more worried that the adhesive or chemicals could react with the steel and leave a permanent stain

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 12:49:43 PM »
Good input on this...anyone here tried?

By the way, as GMAC brought up, some like to leave their protective stickers from the factory on their watches eg rolex (prior to 2019). Will that damage the watch?

I realized stainless steel doesnt react well with protective films (perhaps there are different materials causing different reactions) - when a car sales man warned me to remove them from my new car...turns out, my other car which was a bit older that had some of these protective films still on the step plates, did leave bad stains that cannot be removed.

For watches - should we remove them? (ps: I just got another new watch - now considering to remove or not lol)

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 12:02:32 PM »
Personally I understand why some people would want to protect their watches, but to me it's distasteful and defeats the purpose of owning a reliable/durable luxury watch. After learning that it costs RM800 to do one, it's even more mind boggling, for that price you can get a good polish/service at RSC.

Offline andy99

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 10:50:51 AM »
I personally think that watches are our beloved companion and meant to be enjoyed and accompany us doing daily activities for years. Scratches are 'war marks' which will give different feelings to my heart when I check out the watch again after years of owning it.  ;)

Offline dpkong

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2021, 10:55:39 AM »
Personally I understand why some people would want to protect their watches, but to me it's distasteful and defeats the purpose of owning a reliable/durable luxury watch. After learning that it costs RM800 to do one, it's even more mind boggling, for that price you can get a good polish/service at RSC.

Before watch film, some people would suggest to wear a sport sweat wrist band over the watch...

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 07:34:28 PM »
I wonder....this is the 21st century we're in. We can send ppl to the moon in vessels with fire resistant coating tech, we got ablative materials that disperse high impact force, we got non-stick frying pans, but the best thing we got for watches is....sketchy film. Not even surface coated polymers or some fancy schmancy space age stuff. Film.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 07:56:03 PM »

I hear they have ultra hard ceramic coatings for cars nowadays?

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 09:43:45 PM »

I hear they have ultra hard ceramic coatings for cars nowadays?

That's an interesting point. There's quite a number of ultra hard 9H rated SiO2 formulations for paint longevity, abrasion resistance etc. There's even supposedly 10H rated stuff too. These are clear coatings once treated and cured. I'm not sure what the long term effects are - on rolesteel stuff and the like, on wearability, on prolonged skin contact...but if it works on high end cars it might be worth testing at least. The automobile angle is interesting really - vantablack is used as car paint and H Moser & Cie ends up making these gorgeous dials with it. So why not cerakote, duracoat or something along those lines?

Offline psychoinside

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 01:05:22 PM »
If anything less than 120, I would go for it.

Anything more than that, that’s a no-no. If you say protect your sapphire crystal then still make sense. It serves no purpose to your metal bracelet. If worst scratch ever, just replace or polish

Offline brasso93

• Freshie
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 07:50:28 PM »
Just wear the watches well. And when the time comes just send for polishing cost way less than 800 ..

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 08:41:54 PM »
Yea agreed...an earlier comment also says it right, it makes it look tacky...js wear carefully, and embrace any scratches that comes...at least that’s how i console myself...

Offline revvd

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 09:12:19 PM »
 ;D Got my first scratch after barely 24 hours after getting tipsy...

But yeah didn't really think much of it. Guess just wear it as a badge of honour  :thumbsup:

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 12:53:45 PM »
;D Got my first scratch after barely 24 hours after getting tipsy...

But yeah didn't really think much of it. Guess just wear it as a badge of honour  :thumbsup:

it happens bro...yup, badge of honour haha

btw, I still have a few of the original stickers on my BB58...not sure if I should remove it as I know some stickers can leave a stain if not removed after a while... :o...but maybe after a few weeks la...join my other 'naked' watches haha
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:55:36 PM by bulletnos »

Offline cvl003

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »
Let the stickers naturally tear off. If the stickers still ok, let it be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 06:18:14 PM »
Personal advise, worthy to apply for expensive watch.

Offline Horotime

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 03:44:37 PM »
Every scratch has a story, ends up with a good patina which you can erase every time you decide to go for a service and give it a good renewed life

Offline dpkong

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 05:38:35 PM »
Personal advise, worthy to apply for expensive watch.

What's the point? If you look at watches with stickers on, it looks really tacky and spoils the original shine.

Also, the stickers don't cover the edges which are really the places that takes the knocks and dings.

And RM800++ for a few pieces of plastic?? And we thought grey dealers were fleecing buyers....

:Laughing_on_floor: