Author Topic: Paul Newman Daytona - The Hype ?  (Read 3705 times)

Offline acurusaragon

Paul Newman Daytona - The Hype ?
« on: October 19, 2020, 08:02:55 AM »
I was recently jump into some area of this  Rolex-ish

and Stumble upon the Hyped Paul Newman Daytona as a super Grail watch for some.

and so happen watched "Crazy Rich Asian" over the weekend where a daughter of this rich family was giving a whats look like a daytona to her "from normal family"  husband . 

Anybody can share thought of this watch if any ?

-sam

Offline IamJacky

Re: Paul Newman Daytona - The Hype ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 09:58:43 AM »
I'm relatively new to the Rolex world and I've always loved the look of a Speedmaster. But when I stumbled upon the vintage Daytona, particularly reference 6263, I was immediately captured by its aesthetics - the black acrylic bezel which accompanies the white dials and three black little sub-dials, or what people called the Panda Dial.

I am not sure if Rolex ever released another Daytona that comes close to this (IMO) minimalistic yet aesthetically pleasing design. It is the sole reason why I purchased the 116500LN ceramic Daytona because in my opinion, that watch is a modern iteration of the 6263.

I never knew 6263 was the "Paul Newman" watch; there seems to be a "normal" version of 6263 with a black dial which also has that perfect look IMO, but is also super expensive:

Basically to me, even before knowing this is a Paul Newman Daytona, I already loved the classic, timeless design. After finding out that it's a Paul Newman Daytona and the impossibly high price to get, the 116500LN was the next best thing.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 07:47:16 PM by IamJacky »

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 04:10:26 PM »
Beautiful, simple and elegant indeed!

The original "Paul Newman" Daytona was the Ref 6239

They had a couple more iterations of it that can be considered a "Paul Newman" with the reference 6241, 6262, 6263, 6264 and 6265. In addition, it has to meet this criteria: "dial combination...must include the characteristic of a 3-coloured dial, an art deco-style font and the harsh marks with small squares to the subsidiary dial."

Way outta my league. Oh well, admiration is FOC...haha

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 06:33:21 PM »
One can say it’s classic, but the Daytona Dial is so packed and the watch is so small. Maybe it’s too small for my liking ... kinda like 38 to me.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 09:10:26 PM »
Some vintage collectors think it's the grail but to each his own.  A long time ago, they looked really good to me but now I think the new Daytona is so much better.

Remember that vintage is a minefield.