Author Topic: Any Zenith Lovers?  (Read 16448 times)

Offline dpkong

Re: Any Zenith Lovers?
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2021, 06:34:53 PM »
The date window ruins it for me

Will just call this the Datetona then..

The diff is around rm13k compared to SS Daytona...

Problem is Rolex ain’t selling u one..

But you know it's a Zenith and not a ROLEX and deep down, you will still want the Daytona even when you have this.

Though I'd say this OMEGA does look a lot like a Daytona too..

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 06:42:55 PM by dpkong »

Offline snloovincent

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2021, 02:45:56 PM »
My Zenith EP 42mm anthracite grey dial..

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2021, 03:24:14 PM »
My Zenith EP 42mm anthracite grey dial..

Handsome piece bro, did it come with the croc strap or was there an SS bracelet as well?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:30:26 PM by pleasuresaurus »

Offline snloovincent

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2021, 03:37:12 PM »
It comes with leather strap and folding buckle.

Offline dspayre616

• dspayrelovewatch
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2021, 04:11:44 PM »
Taken from Facebook but if you ask me, I am not that guy because I don't own a Daytona.

Jokes a side, the Zenith Chronomaster sport uses the calibre 3600 which uses an escape wheel to drive the chronograph. This could potentially cause accuracy issues. However, Zenith tries to solve it by using a low-inertia silicon for the escape wheel but I am guessing time will tell whether this would solve it or not.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2021, 05:34:00 PM »
It comes with leather strap and folding buckle.

Whats service charges like for one of these? I always feel a tad hesitant about picking up a chronograph mechanical wondering how its gonna impact maintenance further down the road.

Offline snloovincent

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2021, 05:36:03 PM »
I have yet to service the watch. Was told the service charge is not expensive...

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2021, 02:57:34 PM »
Just saw this n thought it was hilarious  ;D

Offline W3ll

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2021, 01:56:58 PM »
Is the “daytona” available in malaysia already?

Saw someone flexing it in facebook mwg, but call to AD say watch not yet arrive

Offline uncle_ray

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »

AD said most likely Feb/March. Should be very interesting to see in the flesh. Reviews seem to be very good so far but all the platforms inevitably compare it to the Rolex ;)

Sent from my SM-A507FN using Tapatalk

Offline dpkong

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2021, 08:03:39 PM »

AD said most likely Feb/March. Should be very interesting to see in the flesh. Reviews seem to be very good so far but all the platforms inevitably compare it to the Rolex ;)

Some people just want to be the first.... have heard that it's around rm35k which puts it about 20% discount... still a bit much for a steel Zenith if you ask me...

And I think the hype about resembling a Daytona is too much.. no crown guards, no screw down pushers, a date window and solid coloured subdials nearly overlapping... is very much Zenith design.

Then as a member here points out..

Taken from Facebook but if you ask me, I am not that guy because I don't own a Daytona.

Jokes a side, the Zenith Chronomaster sport uses the calibre 3600 which uses an escape wheel to drive the chronograph. This could potentially cause accuracy issues. However, Zenith tries to solve it by using a low-inertia silicon for the escape wheel but I am guessing time will tell whether this would solve it or not.

and from https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/zenith-chronomaster-sport-with-the-el-primero-caliber-3600-introducing

the new Calibre 3600 has yet to prove it's reliability and I'd like to see what happens when more users buy it and start letting the chronograph run for extended periods.

Overall, the 1/10th will be an interesting feature and will be watching for it when it's at least 30% or more off retail.. the striking 10th models were never a big hit and suffered badly in the resale market.

Offline uncle_ray

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2021, 06:21:55 AM »
I think this new Zenith is decently competitive in the new high-end sport chronos market. Since the Daytona is now 100k and even the Omega 321 is inflated too. If lets say with 25-30% discount at 30k+ or so, it's actually pretty attractive. The only possible issue is that it's a Zenith, which means it'll inevitably be an enthusiast's option, and lack the mainstream appeal of the other brands. The more I looked at the pictures, the more I have a soft spot for the black dial version ;)

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2021, 07:18:39 AM »
Its a good thing for zenith la kan, I can't remember a time when they last received this much attention. Even if this is all just hype and the market perception for the watch will cool down soon enough. Hopefully in a couple of years the black dialed one would be on the secondary market at a nice discoubt.

Offline uncle_ray

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2021, 07:48:24 AM »
Its a good thing for zenith la kan, I can't remember a time when they last received this much attention. Even if this is all just hype and the market perception for the watch will cool down soon enough. Hopefully in a couple of years the black dialed one would be on the secondary market at a nice discoubt.
Totally agreed. No rush... go visit AD and look see first :D

Offline W3ll

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2021, 12:32:53 PM »
Let’s see the hype is enough to drive the sales up for zenith.. i hope they don’t hold back the discounts due to hype up demand.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2021, 11:03:15 AM »
Let’s see the hype is enough to drive the sales up for zenith.. i hope they don’t hold back the discounts due to hype up demand.

Isn't the whole purpose of hype'd up demand to cut out discounts and hopefully create a premium?

Offline uncle_ray

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2021, 11:18:29 AM »
I think this watch will be a relatively easy one to get to be honest. It is a great looking watch, priced relatively well, BUT the endless comparison against the daytona will give it the perception of a homage watch. And Zenith's watches aren't terribly popular to begin with, especially when they have a ton of other EPs in the range. So, I think... good discounts!

Offline W3ll

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2021, 11:50:36 AM »
Isn't the whole purpose of hype'd up demand to cut out discounts and hopefully create a premium?

well that's the point but whether it works out for zenith I have my doubts

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2021, 09:32:27 PM »
I reckon that's what Zenith wants to create, an atmosphere of desirability to justify a price premium. However, it remains to be seen whether they can actually sustain that situation over time to be able to command that premium. I say more power to them if they do, more power to us if they don't :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2021, 03:19:45 PM »
 :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline uncle_ray

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2021, 04:06:07 PM »
Finally picked up my A384 today :)

Thing looks absolutely lovely and the ladder bracelet is light, balanced and comfortable. Finishing is good on the bracelet, fit is decent and the retro feel is through the roof.

On another note, Zenith decided to pair the bracelet with a rather simple thin stamped clasp which not only looks vintage, but feels vintage too. The upside is that it's light and doesn't make the watch bottom-heavy; but the downside is that the quality feels like something from an early Seiko 5 (i.e. cheap - even the new 5KXs have better clasps). The flip-lock mechanism likewise feels cheap too. Which I think is a deliberate move from Zenith for that vintage vibe... but they could have easily engineered a much higher quality clasp.

Overall, the clasp isn't a dealbreaker yet since the ladder bracelet just looks so special. Time will tell how it fares after I get more wrist time.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2021, 06:30:04 PM »
That's a cracking piece right there mate, congrats on the new watch :thumbsup:

Was wondering about the clasp/ flip lock thing u mentioned, have u got a shot of it? Also, if u dont mind the ask, how many % off did u manage to wrangle off the shop and what's the servicing rate gonna be like?

Offline uncle_ray

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2021, 09:22:10 PM »
That's a cracking piece right there mate, congrats on the new watch

Was wondering about the clasp/ flip lock thing u mentioned, have u got a shot of it? Also, if u dont mind the ask, how many % off did u manage to wrangle off the shop and what's the servicing rate gonna be like?
Ahh thanks! No joke, the clasp is almost identical to the original Gay Freres clasp. I just googled the vintage one and it looks exactly the same to my eyes. But I have to say the bracelet quality of the new one looks better with less slack/jangle. Will update again on the wearing experience once I get more wrist time.

PS: I got almost 30% off for it after some tough haggling, but they recently increase the RRP of the A384 by about 1k+ so I had to pay a bit more than what I expected. Service-wise I have no idea but I read that El Primeros are generally not too expensive to service. Hope that helps!

Offline uncle_ray

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2021, 09:26:09 PM »
This image is of the original vintage clasp. The new one looks exactly the same, down to the Zenith text engraving & location.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2021, 06:52:23 AM »
Had no idea who this Gay Freres was and their significance to the swiss watch industry la, had to read up a bit. Interesting, they made stuff for everybody at one point.

I reckon ur right in that they wanted to maintain the period accuracy of the watch by making the clasp the way it is. So long as it firmly holds in place ok la. Having said that, now comes the next fun part - hunting new straps  :D I'm assuming the lug width is 18mm?