Author Topic: The end...  (Read 9712 times)

Offline dualcarb

The end...
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:30:07 AM »
I posted this topic to see how many out there share my sentiments. I have started to feel this way before COVID hit. But COVID has somehow amplified how I feel even more.

The end...of watch collecting...that is

I started to have a love for watches when I was in my early years of primary school. I have an uncle who is a certified NAUI dive instructor and he wore a TAG 2000 series and I was in awe of the citizen aqualand that he rotates it with https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/citizen-aqualand-birth-of-a-legend-end-of-an-era. My other uncles and my father was your typical Malaysian bloke who is not bothered by whatever watch they wear so long as they tell the time.

In any event, this was the time when the watch industry was rocked by quartz technology and Seiko always came out with awesome watches with really cool functions, the radio watch, TV watch etc...then a few years down the road, swatch came into the picture with their colourful, cool and fashionable watches. Long story short...I was always looking at watches, from POP swatch to calculator watches from Casio. It was when I got my first job that I started to look at watches that is more expensive than RM $1,000. My love for watches never ended. It still hasn’t ended...but it has now got to a point where I ask myself...what is the point? I know that I have been buying and selling them for many many years now...as I am creeping to the point where I have less than a decade before my retirement, I now focus more on other stuff. I still love watches...don’t get me wrong, otherwise I won’t still be on a watch forum. I admire, I oogle and google and still look at new watches. So many out there that I can just go buy, but there is always a but...I have around 20 watches in my little collection now, some I wear more often than others. But I tend to gravitate towards simpler and plastic Casios these days. Last week I woke up, got myself a cup of coffee, turned my ipad on and read the news and browsed watch forums and reading about all the new incomings of forum members...and suddenly realised that I have not bought a new watch in like a long time...didn’t bother about wanting, or hunting or anything at all. So is this the end...? Maybe...I still love watches and I will never say never. So this is it...for now...being in my happy watch place...playing with my straps. Changing them from rubber to steel to NATO just to give them a different “feel”. Feeling happy for friends and forum members who have found their grails. Feeling a sense of admiration for friends and forum members who are still so passionate about horology and doing so much research about them. Keeping them forums an exciting place to be and discussions alive...

So this might be the end...for me...maybe...we shall see. But for those of you out here who are still looking...let’s keep this alive and going. Thank you for reading such a long winded and lengthy post...stay safe and stay healthy out there everyone

Cheers
Patrick

Offline Cocas

Re: The end...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 11:59:20 AM »
Yes, @dualcarb . I share the same thought with yours.

I too, declared at MWF few months back that I would hibernate for a very long time unless there is a super nice watch that can amaze me.

My latest hobby is to "hunt" my kids wanted toy at a very good price. The satisfaction that I got from kid smiles and laughters are actually more filling than successfully hunted a nice watch for myself.

My only problem now is I have more than 50 watches and need a lot of dehumidifier. I keep buying the dehumidifier like buying the toilet rolls. :Laughing_on_floor:

Well, come back to my watch horology philosophy, each of them has a story to tell, mostly are sweet one.  :D

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 04:13:21 PM »
Dear above,

I have your feel. Same here. Nowadays, I just put on a plastic watch found lying about the drawers.
The oomp of hunting down grand pcs have more or less ended within one self.

Of course, I have just kept a few collections for good ole time justifications.
One thing good about being a watch enthusiastic is able to land on small jobs that can earn some 'kueh' to sustain living after my official retirement.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline swleong

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 07:22:11 AM »
I too share the similar feeling nowadays, my last 3 purchases in 2 years span were all Casio G-Shock.

I've sold many of my collections, and now left only 5 watches; 3 Casio, 1 Seiko and 1 Rolex.

Like some members here, I too will always pick up a Casio, my Rolex is a non-date version Submariner (sometimes I don't even set the time, just wear it as accessories), and the Seiko is a safe queen.

Some might call it Self-Actualization?  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 08:54:43 AM »
LOL...thanks all for the responses, I don’t feel so alone anymore. I wear three Casio on a regular basis. My Rolexes are seen on the wrist of my wife more often. As much as I still love them, I just suddenly don’t feel the urge to wear them anymore.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 11:56:58 AM »
Priority changes.
I am fortunate to have retain a few pieces and waiting for them to 'grow babies' (appreciate in value) in the near future and sell them off for a better tomorrow.
I cannot foreseen myself to buy these exotic pieces anymore. Good $$ are spend on other and better priorities.
But that's just me.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 02:02:54 PM »
Priority changes.
I am fortunate to have retain a few pieces and waiting for them to 'grow babies' (appreciate in value) in the near future and sell them off for a better tomorrow.
I cannot foreseen myself to buy these exotic pieces anymore. Good $$ are spend on other and better priorities.
But that's just me.

dc

I agree with your David, my priorities are going towards my kids and my retirement...I still have a few OK watches that I get to enjoy every now and then. But I tend to gravitate toward the Seikos and Casios that I have in my collection more than ever. I can’t seem to justify an exotic purchase, to put it in your words, as I know it is more of a want. I was offered a BB 58 from an AD and I passed it on. I was itching for it so badly...but then again...priorities right...?

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 02:39:26 PM »
Dualcarb, much agreed with you.
Maybe wearing a seikos / Casio do not have much pressure on daily lives. Nothing to worry as to which places we go.....

dc

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »
Dualcarb, much agreed with you.
Maybe wearing a seikos / Casio do not have much pressure on daily lives. Nothing to worry as to which places we go.....

dc
[/quote

Exactly...no pressure and no worries. In fact, I often laugh at the “is it safe” thread on TRF. People who want to wear “nice” watches and worry about getting it wet, worry about going golfing with it etc etc...which increases stress and decreases the enjoyment of wearing a watch you like. I often think that if you want to baby your watches, then you have taken away 80% of the joy of wearing a watch in the first place.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 03:35:52 PM »
Thank you for sharing, Patrick.

For many years, I read MWF with a growing interest in watches. I never liked watches; I didn't even think I wanted to own a Rolex. The first watch I set my sights on was a PAM177, but after much browsing and reading, I ended up with a Tudor Pelagos. Why? Intrigued by Rolex and still wanting the Ti properties of PAM177. After time, I later managed to acquire the PAM as well as the Sub.

During those days, I also set sights on other watches of course, particularly falling hard for AP's Royal Oak (AP 15300 in blue dial). It was my grail -- I watched as prices went from sub-30k to sub-50k, to sub-70k and now passing the 100k mark. It has reached unobtanium status. Sadly, this has also been the case for many other "hot" brands (Rolex, AP, PP, etc). In fact, this madness has been overly aggressive in the last 3 years (I purchased by Hulk at a very slight premium, waiting 3 weeks for the watch to be available back in 2016). Nowadays, forget about buying a steel Rolex.

Unlike you, I still do wear my watches in rotation (as they are meant to be -- of course depending on situation) and I do enjoy reading up about watches. However, I would consider myself as having falled out of love as a whole with watches, as every Tom, Dick & Harry is trying to resell everything from a Speedmaster, Submariner, Royal Oak, Nautilus, etc. It feels as though people are just buying watches as investment pieces and bragging rights only, and for me... that sucks. I believe in the concept of SA building a relationship with the customer, and not the other way around. The ecosystem is messed up.

But it is what it is, this is reality, I am at peace and moving on.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:46:06 PM by r3kahsttub »

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 06:54:16 PM »
Ahhh....the end. I can feel it is approaching since a year ago.

It has been 10 years since i joined this forum, 2 years less than when i started liking watches. During this time, I went from collecting the "must-haves" of beginner watch collectors such as the then Seiko Monster and Orient Mako to slowly upgrading to the Longines Legend Diver, Omega Speedmaster Automatic then onwards to the Panerai craze and so on.

I am fortunate to be able to own what i set out to own when this journey began but I am still consolidating some pieces from the early days of collecting (the skeleton pieces, the big watches amongst others) for long-term keepers. I do wear all my watches in a rotation and I love reading the experiences of new members in this hobby, love looking at SOTC (state of the collection) of other members and participating in forums (more active over at WUS). I also find the watch market to be very interesting now with any new entrant being snapped up quickly on speculation of a premium when flipped.

SAs....wow. Times sure have changed. It used to be that you purchase from the authorised dealer for the premium experience; that is long gone. Buying popular models at retail is not a big deal any longer. The RM30-60k required to purchase the popular models is not "big" money to the dealers any longer. I feel purchasing from pre-owned dealers give a better experience albeit the higher price.

Times have indeed changed. I may not be old yet but I now do understand what my elders mean when they reminisce about "the good ol' days". Perhaps the situation today maybe the "good ol' days" of the future. Interesting to see the changes after 12 years in this hobby. However unlike bro r3kahsttub, i do itch for the latest releases annually. So maybe it ain't really over for me yet.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 07:53:13 PM »
Ahhh....the end. I can feel it is approaching since a year ago.

It has been 10 years since i joined this forum, 2 years less than when i started liking watches. During this time, I went from collecting the "must-haves" of beginner watch collectors such as the then Seiko Monster and Orient Mako to slowly upgrading to the Longines Legend Diver, Omega Speedmaster Automatic then onwards to the Panerai craze and so on.

I am fortunate to be able to own what i set out to own when this journey began but I am still consolidating some pieces from the early days of collecting (the skeleton pieces, the big watches amongst others) for long-term keepers. I do wear all my watches in a rotation and I love reading the experiences of new members in this hobby, love looking at SOTC (state of the collection) of other members and participating in forums (more active over at WUS). I also find the watch market to be very interesting now with any new entrant being snapped up quickly on speculation of a premium when flipped.

SAs....wow. Times sure have changed. It used to be that you purchase from the authorised dealer for the premium experience; that is long gone. Buying popular models at retail is not a big deal any longer. The RM30-60k required to purchase the popular models is not "big" money to the dealers any longer. I feel purchasing from pre-owned dealers give a better experience albeit the higher price.

Times have indeed changed. I may not be old yet but I now do understand what my elders mean when they reminisce about "the good ol' days". Perhaps the situation today maybe the "good ol' days" of the future. Interesting to see the changes after 12 years in this hobby. However unlike bro r3kahsttub, i do itch for the latest releases annually. So maybe it ain't really over for me yet.

Totally get what you mean...It was back in the day when a Rolex submariner will cost just a wee bit more than an IWC 3706 pilot chrono. Buying from a grey dealer will give you a bigger discount than the AD, and I have bought all of my Rolexes cheaper than MRSP. I am really appalled at the current situation where any steel sports Rolex is a unicorn. So much so that even the current iteration of the Air King is considered “popular” and difficult to attain. All you see at the display cases are rows upon rows of datejusts with diamonds and two tone DJs. Gone are the days when you can just walk into any AD and try out any steel sports watch you want.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 08:24:37 PM »

It would seem that most of the people who post that they have "fallen out" with watches are those who have seen prices for their favourite watches soar to a point where purchasing them seems beyond logic. Who would pay nearly RM50k for a 116610 when it was in the low 20s barely 10 years ago, and it's the same watch. And don't even start a conversation on the prices of the Nautilus...

Buying from AD when you can actually get the watch is actually cheaper than buying from grey dealers, the opposite of 10 years ago.

You could get an AP from ADs at a good discount but now they're fixed price and boutiques only and most times there's no stock.

I can see why most old members here have given up on collecting because "investors" and grey dealers have driven prices to a point where it is no longer an enjoyment.

As is evolution, when one group goes, another will come to take it's place. It will be interesting to watch the newer members show up here and brandish their new purchases on the WRUW page..

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 10:10:05 PM »
Bro G.MAC, I do itch for the one or two releases which catches my eye, but it is pointless because there is no way I will be able to get it (anymore)  :D

Before I had an interest with watches, I was into sneakers. I left that "world" as things were likewise getting ridiculous. What I have learnt, is that this disease doesn't stop (hey, there are those who are willing to fork out RM15k for a pair of old sneakers...).

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 12:48:08 PM »
I believe there's something to be said about contentment when it comes to hobbies and collectibles. There's always gonna be a desire for the next watch/guitar/MTG card/dslr/gadget etc.... but realistically, at some point there has to be that inward "enough" moment (unless one has unlimited disposable income la kan? :laugh:). The way the market is right now with certain popular brands, their product offerings and how outlandish their prices have become, it makes sense to take a momentary pause and reevaluate the situation. But even with that pause, the love of the hobby remains the same. Consider it a breather, a time for reflection on the state of the collection, on redirection perhaps to other niches within the hobby?

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 02:09:00 PM »
Thank you for sharing, Patrick.

For many years, I read MWF with a growing interest in watches. I never liked watches; I didn't even think I wanted to own a Rolex. The first watch I set my sights on was a PAM177, but after much browsing and reading, I ended up with a Tudor Pelagos. Why? Intrigued by Rolex and still wanting the Ti properties of PAM177. After time, I later managed to acquire the PAM as well as the Sub.

During those days, I also set sights on other watches of course, particularly falling hard for AP's Royal Oak (AP 15300 in blue dial). It was my grail -- I watched as prices went from sub-30k to sub-50k, to sub-70k and now passing the 100k mark. It has reached unobtanium status. Sadly, this has also been the case for many other "hot" brands (Rolex, AP, PP, etc). In fact, this madness has been overly aggressive in the last 3 years (I purchased by Hulk at a very slight premium, waiting 3 weeks for the watch to be available back in 2016). Nowadays, forget about buying a steel Rolex.

Unlike you, I still do wear my watches in rotation (as they are meant to be -- of course depending on situation) and I do enjoy reading up about watches. However, I would consider myself as having falled out of love as a whole with watches, as every Tom, Dick & Harry is trying to resell everything from a Speedmaster, Submariner, Royal Oak, Nautilus, etc. It feels as though people are just buying watches as investment pieces and bragging rights only, and for me... that sucks. I believe in the concept of SA building a relationship with the customer, and not the other way around. The ecosystem is messed up.

But it is what it is, this is reality, I am at peace and moving on.

Which is why I also put myself at peace and just enjoy what I have. I will still look, and still be enamoured every once in a while. But that itch is definitely gone.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2020, 02:10:00 PM »

It would seem that most of the people who post that they have "fallen out" with watches are those who have seen prices for their favourite watches soar to a point where purchasing them seems beyond logic. Who would pay nearly RM50k for a 116610 when it was in the low 20s barely 10 years ago, and it's the same watch. And don't even start a conversation on the prices of the Nautilus...

Buying from AD when you can actually get the watch is actually cheaper than buying from grey dealers, the opposite of 10 years ago.

You could get an AP from ADs at a good discount but now they're fixed price and boutiques only and most times there's no stock.

I can see why most old members here have given up on collecting because "investors" and grey dealers have driven prices to a point where it is no longer an enjoyment.

As is evolution, when one group goes, another will come to take it's place. It will be interesting to watch the newer members show up here and brandish their new purchases on the WRUW page..

Agree agree...it’s popcorn time, then, sit back, relax and enjoy the show...

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 02:12:04 PM »
I believe there's something to be said about contentment when it comes to hobbies and collectibles. There's always gonna be a desire for the next watch/guitar/MTG card/dslr/gadget etc.... but realistically, at some point there has to be that inward "enough" moment (unless one has unlimited disposable income la kan? :laugh:). The way the market is right now with certain popular brands, their product offerings and how outlandish their prices have become, it makes sense to take a momentary pause and reevaluate the situation. But even with that pause, the love of the hobby remains the same. Consider it a breather, a time for reflection on the state of the collection, on redirection perhaps to other niches within the hobby?
I still love watches and than love will never be gone...but I know that I am in a happy place...like what has been mentioned, prices have gone ballistic and has left a sour taste in my mouth. So I will just sit back and enjoy what I have and that is it.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 06:55:18 PM »

Which is why I also put myself at peace and just enjoy what I have. I will still look, and still be enamoured every once in a while. But that itch is definitely gone.

I still love watches and than love will never be gone...but I know that I am in a happy place...like what has been mentioned, prices have gone ballistic and has left a sour taste in my mouth. So I will just sit back and enjoy what I have and that is it.

The love is there so the itch is never gone.. just subdued until a time when prices are not ridiculous anymore.

The only hope is to find an AD who is able to sell you the pieces you like at retail or slight discount. The race at the grey dealer is definitely not for the old horses. For now, I find they're only good for hunting pre-owned pieces which are not in demand.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2020, 07:48:20 PM »

The love is there so the itch is never gone.. just subdued until a time when prices are not ridiculous anymore.

The only hope is to find an AD who is able to sell you the pieces you like at retail or slight discount. The race at the grey dealer is definitely not for the old horses. For now, I find they're only good for hunting pre-owned pieces which are not in demand.
Don’t know bro...maybe if I had a whole lot of extra cash sitting around doing nothing. I still have a few more years of work left in me and a retirement and young kids to think of. But the current situation is not helping much, and I might lose my job. So let’s see how Covid plays out. As it is...I have not had a single sen saved since March 2020. And this has never happened before. I am already blessed that I don’t have to touch my savings yet. And I really don’t know how things will be in the coming months or the coming years for that matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dpkong

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2020, 08:01:30 PM »

Don’t know bro...maybe if I had a whole lot of extra cash sitting around doing nothing. I still have a few more years of work left in me and a retirement and young kids to think of. But the current situation is not helping much, and I might lose my job. So let’s see how Covid plays out. As it is...I have not had a single sen saved since March 2020. And this has never happened before. I am already blessed that I don’t have to touch my savings yet. And I really don’t know how things will be in the coming months or the coming years for that matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So it is the feeling of desolation in this current pandemic that drives your thoughts .. not the feelings of the heart.

The pandemic will subside in time, or society will simply have to learn to live with it, like HIV/AIDS, knowing how to take precautions against contracting or spreading it. Lifestyles will change to be more health conscious in order to be tolerant against the effects of the virus. Hoping for a vaccine against COVID19 is like hoping to get one for flu...

The economy does seem to be bad but looking at prices of properties for sale, and asking prices for ROLEX sports models, it does not seem to be really bad at all.

Offline shzrn

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 09:19:19 PM »
I'm not that much of a watch collector. A fan at the most but I can relate to the feeling. The current pandemic and the economic impact it has is making collecting of anything, not just watches, a luxury not many can or willing to afford anymore. I too am affected by the economic impact but I feel that this current situation is a good wake up call and it's a chance for me at least, to reflect on all the things that I have done and try to chart a new course. I wish everyone here good health and wealth always.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 05:31:29 PM »
Good, honest words - what a breath of fresh air reading this thread.

I've had my ups and downs with watches...sold quite a few to downsize in the past few years...but recently, it was back up!  ;D

Always a scout for good deals though...and rekindled my love for PAM during MCO after 6-7 years ago since my last one....

Like Dpkong said, the love is there, just subdued at different points in time...I guess this silly false demand/supply thing with some of the sought-after watches is killing the real WIS-following and creating investors instead that continue to out-do each other in bloating the prices.

Anyway, wish you all good health too, stay safe!

Offline Cocas

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2020, 07:34:00 PM »
Agreed so much that there are many other things more important than watch collecting.

Go and get hobbies other than buying watches. That should ease the pain for not being able to get our desired watch.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 07:35:48 PM by Cocas »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 09:23:14 PM »
Agreed so much that there are many other things more important than watch collecting.

Go and get hobbies other than buying watches. That should ease the pain for not being able to get our desired watch.

Is that why all the old hands no longer join the chatter? Hiding from the temptation in this forum?

:Cheers: