Author Topic: New Tudor BB58 release  (Read 31306 times)

Offline bulletnos

Re: New Tudor BB58 release
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2021, 09:15:58 AM »
Nice bro! Looking forward to seeing it set up on the watch. Might take a while though, logistics services now all slow down because of covid.

The movement angle is a rather interesting subject. The MT5402 is built for Tudor by its subsidiary Kenissi, and they really know what they're about seeing how their efforts have won them what, 5 GPHG awards already? Having said that, Kenissi also makes cals. for Norqain, Breitling and Chanel. Here's an A:B of the Norqain NN20/1 and the Tudor MT5402. Very similar in general appearance, same power reserve, same no. of jewels. Reckon the only difference is rotor and finishing.

I reckon the base model of both movements are the same, just finished to different end requirements by the client. And I also recommend checking out the Chanel J12 also, which runs a cal.12.1 also by Kenissi. Elegant rotor and finished more nicely, likely because its on a clear case back. Similar looks, differing only in the number of jewels and date function. I reckon Tudor is definitely gonna be putting out more BB58 or similar sized time pieces, probably some in interesting and attractive color combinations. New watches means new hype, might mean better resale value too perhaps?

Yea, Chanel owns 20% of Kenissi as well, and their movement is certain more "stylo" in terms of finishing..

And you're right, it seems the one used in the J12 (&Norqain) have variations that is based on both the MT54-series (BB58), as well as the MT56XX-series movement - which is larger and has more variations like the MT5612 which sits in the Pelagos, and the MT5652 that runs the Tudor GMT...but they all look so similar.

I curi info from here:
https://reference.grail-watch.com/2020/11/16/a-survey-of-the-kenissi-movements-for-tudor-chanel-breitling-and-norqain/

Good info bro - made me do some extra research  :Cheers:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:26:02 AM by bulletnos »

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2021, 10:10:21 AM »
Would u just look at that winding rotor la, srs stylo. And it plays so well with the overall curves of the movement, the bridge etc. I'm not too keen on the J12 as a whole, but that movement n the rotor especially is just elegant.

Part of the fun in the hobby la kan, geeking and digging up info on the details  ;D

Offline bulletnos

New Tudor BB58 release
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2021, 05:07:38 PM »
Finally the Strapcode bracelet arrived! Hari ini dalam sejarah...I wore my BB58 blue out today on the new shoes...Love it!

It sits bigger than the original strap...but fitting is good. But can’t use the original spring bar tho...but it’s ok.

What do u guys think? Yay or Nay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 05:09:25 PM by bulletnos »

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2021, 06:10:15 PM »
Looking sharp mate! And fairly quick delivery also la all thing considered. How do u find it so far, comfy and sits well? Is the color tone of the bracelet steel any different from that of the watch case ka? I believe fhis bracelet uses 2.2mm thickness spring bars or something of the sort right, was it provided or u had to source out urself?

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2021, 06:28:37 PM »
Loving it mate! They do provide the spring bars, fairly ok quality, better than average, but of cos, inferior to Tudor. I am amazed by the colour of the steel...matches so well with the watch! Even the brushing is good. They got it right. Only cons i feel, is the movement of the bracelet, feels just slightly rough compared to the original, but it is no biggie. Very comfortable and feels natural. In fact, this bracelet fits better on smaller wrists compared to the original - due to the clasp. Tho visually it looks bigger than the original, it fits more snug compared to the original. But worth it. And they use Fedex International Priority - super fast! Total I paid was USD 125 incl Taxes and Shipping
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:31:17 PM by bulletnos »

Offline bulletnos

New Tudor BB58 release
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2021, 06:46:23 PM »
Few more photos - hopefully my old iphone7 does justice to it...

Inner part of the clasp is shorter than original, making it fit better for smaller wrists (my wife took the watch btw...but we’re sharing haha) , but fits fine with bigger ones like mine

On the wife’s wrist

Strapcode spring bar on the left, Tudor original on the right

Sharp solid end link fits well

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 06:56:39 PM by bulletnos »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2021, 07:06:35 PM »
Going off topic but one of my biggest fears of aftermarket straps/bracelet and spring bars it some failure will just cause the watch to fall off your wrist and you can’t retrieve it

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2021, 07:25:07 PM »
Valid concern, but I guess have to rely on reviews to see if they last. Also, when installing I pay extra caution to ensure the spring bar tips are secured.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2021, 08:55:39 PM »
Loving it mate! They do provide the spring bars, fairly ok quality, better than average, but of cos, inferior to Tudor. I am amazed by the colour of the steel...matches so well with the watch! Even the brushing is good. They got it right. Only cons i feel, is the movement of the bracelet, feels just slightly rough compared to the original, but it is no biggie. Very comfortable and feels natural. In fact, this bracelet fits better on smaller wrists compared to the original - due to the clasp. Tho visually it looks bigger than the original, it fits more snug compared to the original. But worth it. And they use Fedex International Priority - super fast! Total I paid was USD 125 incl Taxes and Shipping

The endlinks look nice and crisp, good stuff. Ok la like that means it looks like more wrist time for the BB58  from now on la then eh? Really tho, if its got the missus interested in wearing the watch, I reckon the bracelet is the real deal la. And for that kind money n speedy delivery, damn puas hati la  :thumbsup:

That spring bar is an interesting issue la, I've been wondering about it. I 've observed that same spring bar used in Tudor, Rolex and Breitling. But for the life of me I don't have a clear indication who makes it. My initial thought was Flume, but I dont think that's the right manufacturer. For the Miltat I think they use a Seiko fat boy spec, which does seem sturdy enough.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2021, 09:03:52 PM »
Going off topic but one of my biggest fears of aftermarket straps/bracelet and spring bars it some failure will just cause the watch to fall off your wrist and you can’t retrieve it

I suppose getting used to 3rd party straps n bracelets takes some...getting used to (for lack of better word haha). It never occured to me before I started playing around with straps and had then just stayed with stock. It dawned on me that I didn't really mind using china-made 1.5mm spring bars for a 4 figure watch, which I would use without batting an eyelid. And it worked well enough too with no failure so far. But then I get all kan cheong when instead its a 5 figure watch that's involved.

One of the things I consciously do is test out the new gear with the relatively cheaper watch to see how it holds up. It helps that I have watches that share same  lug width dimensions. In the case of straps it would invariably work without fail - I use quick release spring bars almost exclusively for all my leather and silicone straps, mainly for convenience. In the case of nato and MN straps, I've settled now with using a minimum of 2.0mm thick fat boy style bars. They're very sturdy and sit firmly in the lug hole, with practically no give at all compared to 1.5mm ones - not even from flexion. I'm especially confident with nato, as the way the strap is fitted, even if in the unlikely event that one spring bar fails, the other will still hold fast and the watch would still remain attached to my wrist (albeit dangling lopsidedly).

All in all I think it takes some time, patience and deliberate experimentation to build up a sense of confidence in the reliability of 3rd party gear. It is a valid concern, but is well worth investigating. The simple act of saddling new straps literally breathes new life into a familiar (and mayhaps boring) timepiece, making it exciting all over again.

Offline LostInReality

« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2021, 09:44:14 PM »
Any brands recommendation for stainless steel rolex strap?

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2021, 08:00:33 AM »

The endlinks look nice and crisp, good stuff. Ok la like that means it looks like more wrist time for the BB58  from now on la then eh? Really tho, if its got the missus interested in wearing the watch, I reckon the bracelet is the real deal la. And for that kind money n speedy delivery, damn puas hati la  :thumbsup:

That spring bar is an interesting issue la, I've been wondering about it. I 've observed that same spring bar used in Tudor, Rolex and Breitling. But for the life of me I don't have a clear indication who makes it. My initial thought was Flume, but I dont think that's the right manufacturer. For the Miltat I think they use a Seiko fat boy spec, which does seem sturdy enough.

Ya bro, mmg puas! Happy Wife, Happy Life too...poison her more to like watches...haha

And good to know that they are most likely using the Seiko fatboy spec, gives more reassurance. But it does feel sturdy, no loose feeling even when wiggling the bracelet. Thanks for the recommendation @ Strapcode - now can use the bracelet without worrying too much.

LostInReality - you can checkout Strapcode.com. They have a few types - just need to find the right model/size - as the endlinks are sized differently too.

Cheers

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2021, 08:20:24 AM »

Ya bro, mmg puas! Happy Wife, Happy Life too...poison her more to like watches...haha

And good to know that they are most likely using the Seiko fatboy spec, gives more reassurance. But it does feel sturdy, no loose feeling even when wiggling the bracelet. Thanks for the recommendation @ Strapcode - now can use the bracelet without worrying too much.

LostInReality - you can checkout Strapcode.com. They have a few types - just need to find the right model/size - as the endlinks are sized differently too.

Cheers

No worries bro, racun meracun amalan kita  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2021, 10:33:40 AM »
Any brands recommendation for stainless steel rolex strap?

Try look in Strapcode and search for the RX 1680 sub bracelets.

Caveat: Now I have to preface that I don't know which rolex model u are interested in, and  neither am I 100% sure that the dimensions would work. But considering that Rolex bracelets have a high degree of interchangeability, if you're looking for a 20mm lug width replacement, this might be worth trying out.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2021, 07:14:41 PM »

Cheers

No worries bro, racun meracun amalan kita  :Laughing_on_floor:

Mara Bahaya bro...running out of watch storage space! And money. Hahaha

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2021, 07:50:11 AM »
Got the strap cuz I thought it looks cool, turns out it smells better than it looks  :laugh:

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2021, 07:53:13 AM »
Wah...betul betul camo nih...

Nice Nato bro...kepo ckit - where did you get it?

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2021, 08:29:39 AM »
This was from Panatime. Well hey, whadya know, ada sale la there!  ;D

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2021, 08:32:29 AM »
This stuff is available at a few other sites though, can sift around for a good deal. Having said that la, I feel like rubber nato is an acquired taste la, its feel is different from fabric nato. Its thin, but has a rigidity to it, kinda like a thin seatbelt. Pliant and supple, but takes a bit of getting used to. Its wasn't a "pakai pakai terus jatuh cinta" kinda experience for me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:34:20 AM by pleasuresaurus »

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2021, 06:45:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing...No wonder I thought it looked like rubber, but then just assumed it was fabric Nato...

But I actually like the silicon straps that I use with my PAM...those from Nomad...soft on the skin, but doesnt sag on the wrist, if you know what I mean...

I like the colour combination on yours though...

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2021, 07:40:22 PM »
The v3 Silicones yes? Ok la should be somewhat similar in feel, only difference is 2 piece vs single piece. Just so u have an idea what to expect.

Bonetto cinturini actually has quite a number of different camo patterns now which weren't actually available when I ordered. There's a bluish toned one that would really jive with ur blue bay 58 I reckon. The only problem is hunting down a site that actually has it in stock.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2021, 04:01:22 PM »
looks nice...yea I got the blue camo on my PAM too, but of a darker combination...

Do share some shots of how it sits on your wrist...as I honestly dont really like the feel of NATO as the watch head tends to drop from the center (perhaps due to the fabric/canvas vs rubber)..

Thanks bro...for more poison...haha

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2021, 07:13:13 PM »
I just swapped it out for the leather strap actually, so here's a shot from yesterday. It sits ok, doesn't move much unless I adjust it deliberately - the rubber material is quite clingy.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2021, 08:04:33 PM »
Right...thanks for the info man...!

Honestly, I haven't worn my BB58 since the first time I put on the strapcode - because I sized it to my wife's wrist and malas to add the links back...maybe tomorrow I try la...mesti semangat sikit...!

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2021, 05:45:57 AM »
Wearing my BB58 more and loving it...what I realize is that the lume is white by default, and in a slightly shaded area outdoors - it has a bit of a purple-ish blue hue to it...but in dark surroundings indoors, it is clearly greenish in colour.

Here’s a photo comparison - unedited / unfiltered, taken from an old iphone 7:

You will notice it is more white on the left where there is more sunlight, and purpleish on the right where there is a little shadow...

Under more shade:

Vs indoor dark area

Love it!