Author Topic: How on earth the Ming watch is getting so expensive?  (Read 19378 times)

Offline strinq

• My Youtube Channel
Re: How on earth the Ming watch is getting so expensive?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 03:09:01 PM »
The real question is can the hype and demand sustain?
It's basically like a pyramid scheme

The success of this strategy depends on one thing - continuously expanding the base

The moment there isn't anymore fresh meat that can be added to the base, the whole thing collapses

So as long as they can keep the secondary market strong, by convincing people to seek out and buy their watches, the whole thing will keep chugging along like a nice little train

In the end, like all pyramid schemes, those who got in early and cashed out early will be the ones to profit. You don't want to be the last batch of buyers, holding onto the watches once the hype train has died down

I guess this rings true for those who are actually in it for profit.
There are some who really are in it because they love the watches also, and for those, it's already a worthy investment.
I'm just a little sad that this is the only home grown brand and its so unobtainable for so many.
Wish that there is a home grown brand that produces more affordable watches. Too bad I don't have the means to do so or I would seriously consider investing in one.
I post pictures of watches in nature:

https://www.instagram.com/watchesinnature/?hl=en

And do some reviews and fun videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkVxZDlFy4dvSUz5Nwz2Ocw

Offline Potential_Highlight

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2020, 10:48:04 AM »
The real question is can the hype and demand sustain?
It's basically like a pyramid scheme

The success of this strategy depends on one thing - continuously expanding the base

The moment there isn't anymore fresh meat that can be added to the base, the whole thing collapses

So as long as they can keep the secondary market strong, by convincing people to seek out and buy their watches, the whole thing will keep chugging along like a nice little train

In the end, like all pyramid schemes, those who got in early and cashed out early will be the ones to profit. You don't want to be the last batch of buyers, holding onto the watches once the hype train has died down

I guess this rings true for those who are actually in it for profit.
There are some who really are in it because they love the watches also, and for those, it's already a worthy investment.
I'm just a little sad that this is the only home grown brand and its so unobtainable for so many.
Wish that there is a home grown brand that produces more affordable watches. Too bad I don't have the means to do so or I would seriously consider investing in one.
Well, if the brand was about for the love of watches, they wouldn't have played the artificial scarcity game

They would produce enough so that watch lovers who want one could get one

But by virtue of intentionally producing fewer watches than there is demand right from the beginning, they've already signaled that their brand is about cashing in on watch hype

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2020, 04:06:06 PM »
Yeah man....They're putting up prototype models on auction from CHF40k.... I reckon thats a pretty strong signal right there.

Offline memphisto

• Freshie
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2020, 07:38:01 PM »
It can't be a pyramid scheme... pyramid needs volume and from what i briefly research, it's legit and i am actually dig the watch

Offline tllee4567

• Freshie
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »
If a watch is considered to be great value for money, it can only mean the quality of the watch matches with its retail price; ie low profit margin. And if the watch is sold as limited production (not limited edition) it can only mean it is not using the LE hype to sell them.

Ming watches fit into these 2 categories and one needs to get hold of a Ming piece and see the quality of materials used and the finishing on the movements to really appreciate the attention and enthusiasm put into making them "great value for money". I strongly urge you to get hold of a Ming watch and see for yourself the actual piece and then make your comments positively or negatively.

As an owner of Ming watches and a personal friend of Ming, I think what he is doing is really showcasing what he likes and make this conceptual ideas into production pieces to enable us as collectors to have a chance to like the watches as well. A lot of thoughts and user-centric details are put into his timepieces and you will appreciate them once you get your hand on one of them to see it in person. They are really what I would call "collectors' pieces" as I don't think anyone will buy Ming watches as his/her 1st watch.

Just sharing my views and no offense intended to anyone. TGIF!!!  ;) ;) ;)

Offline fitri

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2020, 08:32:45 PM »
Getting revved reviews by top notch watch site definitely helped justify the soar in prices

Offline memphisto

• Freshie
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2020, 08:56:37 AM »
Though i really supportive of local talent, but the watch is too dressy for me. I would one day to get for just for collection but not for frequent use.

Offline tllee4567

• Freshie
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2020, 07:51:35 PM »

Awesome auction results for Ming Watch from the just concluded Phillips Auction in Geneva.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cocas

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »

Awesome auction results for Ming Watch from the just concluded Phillips Auction in Geneva.

Congrats Ming watch. You really make Msian proud. :thumbsup:

Offline strinq

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2020, 02:33:52 PM »
I'll be honest and would love it if Ming introduces a non-limited entry level to make them more accessible thought it might clash with their company direction.
As a Malaysian I would love to support it and I do like their design. Their recently launched diver is gorgeous in my books.
But it's way out of reach of most Malaysians.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2020, 06:11:11 PM »
Actually, if you really want Ming watch, it is very easy to get one. As long as you patiently wait for its official launching and you must click to buy right away.

I did that for the diving watch and I even have about 3 minutes wondering which watch to choose, rubber strap or bracelet.

I missed out 27.01 and regretted for not paying attention to the launch time.

Offline strinq

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2020, 04:31:05 AM »
Not really about the availability but the affordability.
Not many of us have RM10-15k lying around for a watch.  ;D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2020, 08:05:05 AM »
Not really about the availability but the affordability.
Not many of us have RM10-15k lying around for a watch.  ;D

Actually, a lot of people have 10-15k lying around for a watch.. most of them even more. But those who would pay 10-15k for a Ming is a different crowd.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2020, 08:35:53 AM »
Yeah, its likely a particular subset of watch collectors. I reckon its more of watch aficionados who have had in their collection the regular staples and offerings from major brands, and are now interested in moving beyond the big name brands and into independents. The same kaki that go for Moser, Parmagiani, Grossman...I think its just like any other hobby la, lama-lama bosan jugak the same old things. Take guitars for example, after a decade or 2 one might get bored of the usual Gibson/Fender/PRS/ ESP stuff and start moving on to less known but high quality small volume stuff like Huber, Ruokangas or Skervesen. Add variety to the collection. Not everybody knows about the brand, but being a fairly seasoned collector, one would know good value and uniqueness in it.

Offline tllee4567

• Freshie
How on earth the Ming watch is getting so expensive?
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2020, 11:49:25 AM »
Yeah, its likely a particular subset of watch collectors. I reckon its more of watch aficionados who have had in their collection the regular staples and offerings from major brands, and are now interested in moving beyond the big name brands and into independents. The same kaki that go for Moser, Parmagiani, Grossman...I think its just like any other hobby la, lama-lama bosan jugak the same old things. Take guitars for example, after a decade or 2 one might get bored of the usual Gibson/Fender/PRS/ ESP stuff and start moving on to less known but high quality small volume stuff like Huber, Ruokangas or Skervesen. Add variety to the collection. Not everybody knows about the brand, but being a fairly seasoned collector, one would know good value and uniqueness in it.
Totally agree with your assessment. It’s not for those looking for first watch or those still looking for brands to collect. Ming is all about value for money and the small details in finishing at that price point. I am also waiting for my diver and I managed to get it on its second batch. Thank god he did it in two batches. Otherwise I would not have time to decide to buy or to pass. At that price point, I dun think many microbrands can match both in terms of the quality and quantity as well. Imho.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 02:03:36 PM by tllee4567 »

Offline tllee4567

• Freshie
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2020, 08:09:44 PM »

New release from Ming, 19.05 is a limited production of just 15 pcs and pricing is not too friendly.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2020, 08:39:39 PM »
Hahaha I got the email too, scrolled down to the price and aiya....Ah well, maybe better luck with next year's batch.

Offline tllee4567

• Freshie
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2020, 10:25:07 PM »
Yea. Not many can afford at this price point and even those who can afford will also would think twice as there are many other choices with that price tag. Their 27 series and probably the diver range are more affordable and one should look out to their releases. Best bang for bucks imho.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2020, 07:03:44 AM »
Only one set
Dunno who bought it... a msian tycoon here?

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2021, 06:47:28 PM »
Well, its next year now and still no luck with the recent batch  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2021, 06:17:45 AM »
Well, its next year now and still no luck with the recent batch  :Laughing_on_floor:
It’s like Rolex... hv to rub shoulder with ppl first !

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2021, 08:23:08 AM »
But how to rub shoulders bro, all online only now, wanna find the shoulder also tak jumpa  ;D

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2021, 08:33:06 AM »
But how to rub shoulders bro, all online only now, wanna find the shoulder also tak jumpa  ;D
Sure or not... only online!
I see same ppl getting it all the time

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2021, 08:34:34 AM »
Don’t chase what you can’t get lor
So many watches out there

N trust me ... it’s unlimited limited production
Every 2-3 mths u get new batch of them

Offline dpkong

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2021, 09:45:15 AM »
It’s like Rolex... hv to rub shoulder with ppl first !

I saw some nice SA at AD... thought can try to rub shoulders but no luck..

:Laughing_on_floor: