Author Topic: JLC Reverso engraving suggestions.  (Read 5629 times)

Offline payung

JLC Reverso engraving suggestions.
« on: May 31, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »

Good day,

I Just received a beautiful reverso for my birthday.

I was thinking of engraving my name and date of birth on the back, but before I do that I would like to seek suggestions from everyone here on what exactly I should put on it.

Cheers.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Re: JLC Reverso engraving suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »
Go to Starhill JLC boutique for samples.
Most ppl engrave their initials
For rich Europeans- their family crest (those very famous families or royalty la)..
For husband/wife pairs they inscribe their initials and marriage date..

once initialed hard to sell
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 01:26:56 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline j0shua

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »
This:
payung
Joined MWF July 09, 2012, 01:26:28 AM

Really:
put your name and birthday this year, not your actual birth year.
so you'll remember which birthday you got it.

although what I'd really do is order a spare caseback and engrave that one, and keep the original in the box. just in case.

Offline foowy

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 01:28:36 PM »
i've always contemplated engraving mine too....

one suggestion is your family name or chinese character (assuming you are chinese)....good as a heirloom. if you plan never to sell it...

Offline sshark

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »
if ever wanna sell it, buy a back plate or casing :)

Offline payung

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 05:21:15 PM »
My model is the 1931 tribute. A while back, JLC released a tribute to the Dark knight movie. The design on the back has always intrigued me.

How do ya'll find that.

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »
do it only if you do not intend to flip it. If you are not sure to keep it permanently, that will diminish the monetary value of your watch.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 05:15:53 AM »
Why are you guys are so obsessed with resale value? Gosh, a car is way more expensive and horrid resale value. Get it engraved. Was looking at getting a Reverso and go the same route, but somehow all those which I tried, does not fit me well.

One of the best engraver is JC Randell. Try googling him up. Not cheap, but excellent work. Enquired about my name seal on the caseback, very reasonable considering the level of craftsmanship involved.

Hope it helps. Your tribute is a beautiful piece and to have it personalised, would definitely be the jewel in the crown.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 05:36:29 AM »
I agree. Kinda a bad messed up to think you would sell your birthday present.

Why are you guys are so obsessed with resale value? Gosh, a car is way more expensive and horrid resale value. Get it engraved. Was looking at getting a Reverso and go the same route, but somehow all those which I tried, does not fit me well.

One of the best engraver is JC Randell. Try googling him up. Not cheap, but excellent work. Enquired about my name seal on the caseback, very reasonable considering the level of craftsmanship involved.

Hope it helps. Your tribute is a beautiful piece and to have it personalised, would definitely be the jewel in the crown.

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »

Good day,

I Just received a beautiful reverso for my birthday.

I was thinking of engraving my name and date of birth on the back, but before I do that I would like to seek suggestions from everyone here on what exactly I should put on it.

Cheers.

In addition to your initials (or fav nick name) and this year's birth date, perhaps you might want to consider adding your fav quote... something short and meaningful like "Carpe Diem"  :thumbsup: and not something from yesteryears like "Gone with the Wind"...  :HammerHead:
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 12:53:49 PM »
This:
payung
Joined MWF July 09, 2012, 01:26:28 AM

:Laughing_on_floor:

Why are you guys are so obsessed with resale value?

Agreed.  If resale value is a high priority, you will limit yourself to just a handful of models from a handful of brands.  In which case, this probably isn't the hobby for you.