Author Topic: Where to replace the watch glass?  (Read 20125 times)

Offline 5iu

Where to replace the watch glass?
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »
Hi all, I've an old seiko watch, the glass is badly scratched, is it possible to replace it? can anyone advise where can i get it replaced? Thanks.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: Where to replace the watch glass?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:08:54 PM »
Hi all, I've an old seiko watch, the glass is badly scratched, is it possible to replace it? can anyone advise where can i get it replaced? Thanks.

go to watchmaker... They will find the old stock for u...
Or u know the model then go eBay n search...
Even no stock also last time I heard got ppl can custom make... Not expensive actually

Offline simplyauto

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:14:42 AM »
Is dome shape or flat? cause it does make a different in price as well. Yes i agreed bring to the watchmaker and show them the model. They should have some replacements

Offline shifter

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:16:54 PM »
Common sizes from seiko are usually easy to find matching crystal. If it is so old that it uses acrylic, then it would be much harder. Same goes for odd sizes. What is an odd size? mainly odd numbers such as 39mm, 41mm etc. I could be wrong though but it would be good to know if anyone else can shed some light to this...

Offline kevlee

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:30:14 AM »
Anyone could make some recommendation......Would it be possible to change from a mineral crystal to sapphire??? My watch diameter is 43 mm without crown.

Offline kevlee

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 07:59:01 AM »
Could someone help please........ :thumbsup:

Offline Yoda

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »
Could someone help please........ :thumbsup:

What model is your old Seiko?

There is a shop at the Kompleks Selangor by the Petaling Street may have the parts of old Seiko. You may try that one.
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline takashi78

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »
Go to Thong Sia

Offline kevlee

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »
Go to Thong Sia

Sorry, forget to inform you my watches one is Seiko and another one is Casio.  I know is cheap watch, just wondering normally if switch to Saphhire, is it possible??

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 11:46:20 AM »
Go to Thong Sia

Sorry, forget to inform you my watches one is Seiko and another one is Casio.  I know is cheap watch, just wondering normally if switch to Saphhire, is it possible??

Yes, it is possible to change from mineral to sapphire. From your description of the watch (43mm diameter watch) I believe you an old seiko diver? What's important is the diameter of the crystal, not the diameter of the watch. Most of these vintage divers have crystals of about 32mm in diameter. The usual trouble is to find a sapphire which has an identical "feet" as your present mineral crystal so that it will press nicely onto the gasket. Also the curvature and thickness of the crystal may matter; for example, a flat crystal for 6306/6309 diver will not fit into a 6105 diver although both have the same "feet" and use the same gasket below the crystal.

YOu can try the shop at Kompleks Selangor or Thong Sia as suggested by other members. I won't bet my hopes too high for these 2 places but they are worth trying. Otherwise, just go over to the seiko citizen watch forum and ask the question, stating the model number of your watch. There are a number of online sellers who have after good market parts for these watches.  :laugh:

Offline kevlee

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »
Go to Thong Sia

Yes, it is possible to change from mineral to sapphire. From your description of the watch (43mm diameter watch) I believe you an old seiko diver? What's important is the diameter of the crystal, not the diameter of the watch. Most of these vintage divers have crystals of about 32mm in diameter. The usual trouble is to find a sapphire which has an identical "feet" as your present mineral crystal so that it will press nicely onto the gasket. Also the curvature and thickness of the crystal may matter; for example, a flat crystal for 6306/6309 diver will not fit into a 6105 diver although both have the same "feet" and use the same gasket below the crystal.

YOu can try the shop at Kompleks Selangor or Thong Sia as suggested by other members. I won't bet my hopes too high for these 2 places but they are worth trying. Otherwise, just go over to the seiko citizen watch forum and ask the question, stating the model number of your watch. There are a number of online sellers who have after good market parts for these watches.  :laugh:

Many thanks brother....Sorry to say that my watch is not Seiko driver....I have a new Casio Tough Solar, and have a scratch there. I like the watch so much, and plan to replace the scratched glass with Sapphire glass due to more scratch resistance.  And I already found out the shop which could do the service for me....but one Sapphire glass cost me Rm 300........and still have to depend on the stock availability.

Offline Calibr

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:11:44 PM »
If you are in PJ, there's a shop at ground floor Jaya 33, Section 14, who can replace the crystal in less than 20 minutes. Of course the price depends on whether you want an original Seiko crystal or an OEM part. For mineral glass, non-Seiko, the replacement cost is less than RM100.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:14:00 PM by kt6608 »

Offline kevlee

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 09:22:21 PM »
If you are in PJ, there's a shop at ground floor Jaya 33, Section 14, who can replace the crystal in less than 20 minutes. Of course the price depends on whether you want an original Seiko crystal or an OEM part. For mineral glass, non-Seiko, the replacement cost is less than RM100.
Mind to tell the shop name?? Only for Seiko? They do have Casio part?? Thanks

Offline Calibr

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 09:36:10 PM »
The forum rules probably don't allow the mention of shop names, I think. There's only one watch shop on the ground floor, you can't miss it. Parking is a big problem at this shopping complex during lunch hours, so it's better to go during non-peak hours. There's a sifu in this old established shop who can also service, clean and lubricate your automatic Seiko for about a hundred plus RM, but no polishing service. They are dealers for some high end watches too, so that might provide some degree of confidence for their service.