Author Topic: Junghans Max Bill Automatic .... my two cents.  (Read 8568 times)

Offline W1NT3RW0LF

• Freshie
Junghans Max Bill Automatic .... my two cents.
« on: June 12, 2018, 07:05:54 PM »

Began in 1861, Junghans is one of the oldest German watch maker that is still in production today. At one point they were the third largest watch manufacturer behind Rolex and Omega. But that was all before the Second World War. Their watches are still being produced in their original factory in the south-west of Germany in the Black Forest, Schramberg.

Max Bill is the legendary Swiss architect, artist painter and designer. He is also one of the most prominent Bauhaus designers. His designs are famous around the world. And in 1961, Junghans approach him to design a new series of time pieces. And thus a legendary pact has been made.

Like the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak or Patek Philippe Nautilus that was design by Gerald Genta. The Junghans Max Bill watch is considered one of the avant garde watches at the time. More than a decade compared to the AP Royal Oak or PP Nautilus. It is very unfortunate that the world does not recognise the brand and the designer for the contribution to the watch world. Especially many of the design cues of modern watches have taken from the designs that was started by The Junghans Max Bill ( eg: Daniel Wellington ).

The one I have here is the Junghans Max Bill Automatic ref no. 027/3401.00. Which is the anthracite-grey dial on stainless steel.

At a glance the watch is dress piece. True to their heritage the watch measurements are 38mm in diameter and sits at 10mm in heights. It’s a very slim watch.

The watch is beautiful. A very smart piece to go with a full suit. Even the tightest cuff on a sleeve will go over the watch. Also as an everyday piece the watch appears really well. With jeans and polo tees, this watch wouldn’t be out of place at all. It is a very versatile watch. Anyone ( men or women ) can sport this beautiful timepiece.

The watch sports the calibre J800.1 which is based on the ETA 2824-2. It also has a 38 hour power reserve which is standard.

The calfskin strap comes with a stainless steel buckle. The leather is one of the most supple strap that I have ever felt. It wear really well and very comfortable.

The watch also come with a hard plexiglass that’s coated to increase it’s scratch resistance.

The dial is also lumed on the Arabic numerals and the hands.

In my opinion the watch is one of the most underrated pieces in the world. Holding true to the Bauhaus design which is the minimalist idea. A beautiful watch that you can bring anywhere and that you wear with anything. The watch is also complimented quite often by women (which is a bonus). It wears really well and I can say one of the most comfortable piece that I have ever had on my wrist. Sometimes I forgot that the watch is even there.

The watch itself is not perfect. The luminous on the watch is abysmal. In the dark you can’t even see the watch except for the hands on the watch. They shouldn’t have bothered. The water resistance on the watch is at 20 metre which is not much, so I wouldn’t be bringing this watch near water at all.

Many people would complain about the plexiglass on the watch as well but I think that’s the one of the best features on it. The curvature of the dome on the glass is beautiful. It is reminisce to the vintage watches of the 50s. It gives of the romance of yesteryears.

Finally, i think the watch wears amazingly well. It is suitable for anyone. It’s very wearable with any type of clothing you can think of. If you ever considering to buy a Daniel Wellington or any of the fashion brands that is available. I would like to urge you to go check on the Junghans retailers and try them on you won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline dualcarb

Re: Junghans Max Bill Automatic .... my two cents.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:00:10 AM »
A beautiful watch. Congrats and thank you for the review. This really is one of the best of the Bauhaus designs.

Offline dlmarr

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 07:14:37 PM »
I have the chronoscope version and it's absolutely beautiful.

Offline Hanjanas

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 01:04:04 PM »
  It's the information I'm looking for as well.

Offline Gary Teong

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 06:19:49 AM »
I like the white chronoscope model too. simple and elegant.

Offline Zaini

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 07:43:20 AM »
Lovely watch. I have always been torn apart between them and Nomos's. Me being a cheapskate, I believe I would be fine with my trusty old Bambino. Haha.

Offline afiq asyran

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2023, 02:31:39 AM »
The subtle dome is just awesome, and the font of the numeral are just tasteful. Love Maxbill and Bauhaus design watches